#1 2016-08-09 06:54:16

Margrave

Set default starting map?

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long-time Quake fan - even if my memory of the game's workings is a little rusty... which, incidentally, is my reason for posting this.

I play Quake on my PSP, to ease the daily commute. Works great, including all official expansion packs!
The only downside is that the console is fiddly to use. Yesterday, I wanted to load Beyond Belief and it requires me to enter a console command ('map bbelief', iirc) in order to start the mod.

Now, is there any way I can bypass this requirement to go to the console? I assumed the modifying the autoexec file was the answer, but that does not seem to work (perhaps I made an error here?)

Your time and help are greatly appreciated!

#2 2016-08-11 06:22:08

ericw

Re: Set default starting map?

Hey, welcome. To go to a specific map at startup, place an "autoexec.cfg" file in you id1 directory containing:

map e1m1

That would work for the original levels or custom maps installed in id1/maps.

For mods installed in their own directory, the same idea should work, except putting the "autoexec.cfg" in the mod's directory rather than id1.

#3 2016-08-11 08:01:15

Margrave

Thanks man!
In the mean time, I've been experimenting with loading different maps and can confirm your method does work. It's probably an issue with the PSP port that prevents bbelief from running properly. A real shame, since I had many fond memories of that episode.

#4 2016-08-11 16:36:50

Icantthinkofanickname

Margrave wrote:

It's probably an issue with the PSP port that prevents bbelief from running properly. A real shame, since I had many fond memories of that episode.

You haven't perhaps accidentally typed the wrong map name? (I'm guessing not, but I know I sometimes make silly mistakes like that.) FWIW, the Beyond Belief start map is called "bbstart".

#5 2016-08-12 10:01:57

Margrave

Icantthinkofanickname wrote:

You haven't perhaps accidentally typed the wrong map name? (I'm guessing not, but I know I sometimes make silly mistakes like that.) FWIW, the Beyond Belief start map is called "bbstart".

A good remark! :-) I just double-checked, however, and it seems I did indeed type 'map bbstart'.

So far I've tried to boot around 60 mods on the PSP and found only 23 to work. The port uses a modified GLQuake engine with limited available memory, so I think that once a mod gets too large or too exotic regarding code, the thing fails to work.

Sadly, that's the case for most of the best mods like bbelief and zerstoerer.

Board footer