Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Are you human or robot? If you have trouble, mail to spirit åt quaddicted døt c

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

triple_agent
2021-11-27 08:07:28

What is "singularity"? It is the ultimate clash of paradox. If there was a virtual reality matrix so perfect, that it mimicked the sensual reality, to a degree of confusion - connected to a virtual reality gear, that became so feasible, widespread and popular, that people, practically transited into living solely within the virtual reality, through the use of said virtual reality gear; what would have become of the sensual reality itself?

We would live on a map - a map, that matches the landscape it is supposed to describe, with such precision, that the map, resultantly has become to ourselves the landscape it was supposed just to describe. It could start with cars, portraying the road image on a car front glass - now turned to a big monitor - so that to give a driver clear information, diminishing the risk of failure due to changing weather conditions or human perception issues.

Chaos factor, such as animal collisions, should be calculated in and likely evaded, through a highly advanced observational system - most probably, operating from space - cooperating with equally advanced GPS, marking every move and physical change around the road. Not all roads would be available with such service at start, but eventually - everything.

In the end, going back to reality, would be like going on a trip to another dimension; a dimension less predictable and maneuverable.

Some say that on a cosmological level, the amount of computing power, required to properly emulate the sensual world, roughly equals the amount of matter within the same universe, capable to be employed in relevant computational processes for the task [theory is philosophical rather than scientific].

In other words: you need a universe, to generate a universe. Life, indeed is tautological - the purpose of life, is life.

What if we had two exact copies of the same world, each drawing the other, redundant? What would happen, is probably - the singularity; an acting paradox, like a gap between, which would consume both the pretenders.

If there were two copies of the same world, available at your hand - one evolutionary, one artificial - which one would you choose, knowing the other, due to laws of economy and nature; eventually, should collapse and turn to nothing, leaving you only with the instance chosen? What would make you choose what you think, you chose? What would be the difference?

I think, the difference, is all in our minds - like in everyday life, it is not really about what is "better"; it is what we believe, is to be right. Belief, makes all the difference - but it is the game we play. That is why, power struggle, is a struggle to control the belief; because belief, drives choices.

triple_agent
2021-11-26 08:55:39

Digital games, are meant to exhibit the technological capabilities of contemporary age, in a way understandable to the public. That, used to be a paradigm.

Even though the classic purpose of "showing how far can we get with what we have" is not gone and will not be gone, as long as technology advances - despite the changes, throughout the time, one thing, has remained constant in the landscape - the games, are still meant to "wow" you.

Ways and means to "wow" the recipient, have diversified - as the gaming medium, became more widespread and popular - assuming manifold contexts and layers, to achieve the effect. For example, to those aware of the original, an old game, can "wow" with how well it may be restaurated and brought back. Open source communities, can "wow" players worldwide with excellence or usefulness of a project done with little to no budget at all.

Independent games, crafted by solitary developers or small studios, can "wow" with extraordinary and creative ways of design, possibly giving rise to new trends in the field. Minimalist games, can "wow" with interactive story intricacies and impressive complexity of universes created. Puzzles, may "wow" with clever challenges and a sense of intelligent completion.

Ultimately, a community around the game, may "wow" with enthusiasm and love for the project, bestowing a deeper reason to remain involved. Players, may "wow" developers with constructive feedback and diverse contribution. Developers, may "wow" tinkers with pliability and accessibility of the game technological aspects.

If a gamescape, does not "wow" you - it is likely not worth of your time.

triple_agent
2021-11-25 00:00:40

I imagine that young people, who lack yet an extensive or "viscereal" knowledge of the world around them, tend to do better with appreciation of "digitalism". This, gives rise to the question of formative influence, the consumer media - overly simplifying an image of reality - could have over children. On the other hand, adults - unless channeling an experience through the lens of sentiment - easily become turned away, if a thing, defies their definitions of reality and therefore, what is worth of personal time and energy investment.

Ultimately, an adult - the way I see it - is a person, who would most likely ask: how will this, enhance my chances in the race of survival and success? In leisure, taking the time to simply rest or meditate; expand own intellectual horizons or just chill out - could make for a more attractive option, than to put effort into processing of boldly artificial information, investing own self in a dimension, which superficially, does not bring any explicit profit - unless, it does bring one a profit; but such, are few, rather than many cases. People forget that gaming, is actually an effort; it does require one to "do" something - it costs energy. The rest, is reward estimation.

Someone said that a successful game, under contemporary conditions, should primarily address the young audience - justifying the stance with sheer merit of commerce, minding how the young and the adults, prefer to spend whatever the money they have - and I think this to be true; but while addressing the young people, one ought to remember that the task, is eventually to give a constructive example.

There are games and there are meta-games. Meta-games - "games above games" or "games to play game" - speculatively a thing of adults; focus mainly around life narratives and life practices, such as building certain facades and appearances in front of others. To a degree, it is a game of liar. Likewise, contemporary gaming industry, in the meta-game of success in commerce they play, fail to show their young audience, a constructive example of adult, socially responsible behavior.

I think the latter, is the ultimate, toxic influence, the gaming world, suffers nowadays.

triple_agent
2021-11-23 17:44:47
OneMadGypsy wrote:

@triple_agent

That was an interesting read. Do you have a space, more proper than quaddicted, where these philosophies are collected and preserved? I'd probably subscribe (or whatever) if you do.

No, I create whatever places, I am not worried about preservation of anything, neither do I aim to capitalize on it.

OneMadGypsy
2021-11-23 16:13:16

@triple_agent

That was an interesting read. Do you have a space, more proper than quaddicted, where these philosophies are collected and preserved? I'd probably subscribe (or whatever) if you do.

triple_agent
2021-11-23 07:06:25

Exemplary game that exhibits an intriguing compromise between the "visceral" and the "digital", is 'Distance'. 'Distance', is a racing-like platformer, featuring very "digital" physics and controls - quite unlike your stereotypical image of a racing game - but a very "visceral" core theme, alongside with world presentation, yet with a "digitalistic" aesthetic wrapping to it. It also has killer soundtrack. The game, in my view, does bear some 'Dead Space' vibe, to you fans out there; quite like a missing rib.

The base story concept in 'Distance', tells of a "digitalistic" world, that becomes infected with an alien virus, behaving much in a "visceral" way.

The game itself, is rather unpolished, but it is done with love for what it has.

The 'Distance' project is our path to life among the stars.
We aim to push teleportation further than ever before.
Earth is behind us.
Remember her, learn from her, go beyond her.

To move forward, we must bury our past.
The 'Distance' project, is our path to life and death.
We aim to escape our loop and expand to new horizons.

The path ahead, gives us purpose.
The sequence, is nearly complete.
Remember that pieces form the whole.
All paths lead to the door.

Origin of the infection source is unknown.
The infection appears to be simultaneously technological and organic,
with a chaotic and unpredictable spread.
Nanotechnology, is assumed as the building block for the virus,
though when observed closely,
the underlying material, is still undefined.

triple_agent
2021-11-23 04:43:10

I wonder whether the upgrowth of "visceralism", dwells in the field of digital games?

What kind of matrix, then?

Who knows, what the future holds?

Maybe we still need to find out, how do we get there.

I do not believe the technology, is an apex to mankind.

I think there is a lot to being a human, that we do not yet understand.

Does it mean the "visceralism", becomes inoperable in the matrix of digital games? It rather only means, the outcome, is always going to be restrained by technological limitations and common availability of technological medium, which sometimes, may appear exclusive and niche.

While ourselves, being owners of "visceral" bodies, it seems paradoxical we should need the most advanced equipment, to experience a portrayal of "visceralism" in the digital matrix.

triple_agent
2021-11-22 19:04:45

Returning to the case of "viscerality", while it is more constructive to understand the term independently; minding the way we likely are wired - perhaps the notion, becomes more clearly visible or even benefits, when put in a dualistic frame of reference; against a thing contrary. The thing contrary to "viscerality" or "visceralism" - in the field of game design paradigms - I would call "digitalism".

While I do think of "digitality", theoretically, to be a more friendly solution in terms of digital game making, it unnecessarily exuberates with a more relatable observation, for a human - the final product recipient. I speculate the human, always "translates" a "digital" observation, into a framework making better sense within the organic range of categories, which - I believe - oscillates towards the "visceral" way of representation.

Eventually, why to make arguably a more difficult, "visceral" game, rather than just choose a more developer-friendly, "digitally" inclined perception? I think the purpose, is to ultimately give the player less "background homework" in terms of "translating" the individual experience, to organic and familiar - but still imaginary - lifelike matrix; therefore, to make the game experience, tad bit more immersive; if that is the goal.

"Visceralism", furthermore, is to be considered an improvement vector - as the technology, unfolding, gives rise to the means, allowing to better mimick and portray life authenticity in gaming - the "visceral" ways, refine. In turn, "digitalism" - while undeniably also likely to evolve along with the unfolding of technological revelations - is hypothetically more prone to stagnation within the realm of attachment to own grooves; the "digitalist" design trajectory, seems also maybe less rooted, but more arbitrary and abstract.

Not to state, however, the latter, could not happen to a "visceral" way of thinking - ultimately, a digital game, is a "digital" creation and there certainly comes a moment, when a bulk of ambitions in the field of digital life-mimicry, best become restrained, for the sake of enjoyability and doability altogether. "Digitalist" design, certainly has an opportunity to gain upper hand, when simplicity, easiness and readability, are rewarded. Beyond that, "digitalism", suggests better degree of freedom, when it comes to artistic flexibility.

In the end, it is pointless to proclaim one superior over the other - "visceralism" or "digitalism" - regardless. Both, need to find proper balance, in order to simply fashion a good product, while unmistakably, from both sides of the spectrum, excellent products, may emerge.

triple_agent
2021-11-18 16:00:47
OneMadGypsy wrote:
triple_agent wrote:
roxvile wrote:

Quake 9? You are all going to play it inside the metaverse.

I guess it means some kind of bad forecast?

I think it was a facebook "meta" reference.

Well, better "meta" than "meth", I guess.

OneMadGypsy
2021-11-18 14:44:30
triple_agent wrote:
roxvile wrote:

OneMadGypsy
2021-11-18 14:42:23
triple_agent wrote:
roxvile wrote:

triple_agent
2021-11-17 02:37:52
roxvile wrote:

roxvile
2021-11-16 18:40:53

triple_agent
2021-11-16 13:49:10

With all the "viscerality" concept being elaborated upon in this thread; I would like to introduce a possible, narrative paradox factor to the equation - the notion of "psychosomatism". In case of becoming lost with the idea given, imagine it in the framework of 'Dead Space' reference.

Here is what I mean, put hopefully simple: what if I told you, that most things in the game world, potentially harmful to the protagonist, do not exist - but reside only inside the mind of a protagonist? The monsters, are imaginary. Furthermore, the guns and the ammo - they are also made up. The guns, do not shoot any "substantial" ammunition; what they shoot, instead - even though presumably realistic in outlook - is of noetic value, made from the same matrix, as the enemy rooster itself.

The ammo those guns shoot, is only good for killing the proper opponents; outside of that, it is all fictional, even in the terminology of a game world itself, it is all made up. In a way of sort, the protagonist, is insane, like a person having bad mental trip - the deeper the rabbit hole gets, the darker and more twisted, the projection, becomes. On the other hand, the pain, suffered by the protagonist, could be real - the death, for certain, should be real.

The concept of "psychosomatism", is meant to emphasize the power of belief and the influence, the mental, can have on the corporeal; to a degree where the brain, may literally shut the entire body down.

The idea, is bundled together with the notion of there being an entity, controlling certain cybernetic infrastructure - not being able to control the organic, regardless - which effectively, make certain "wired" people or installations, experience or acknowledge things, that to an external, non-vulnerable observer, are simply hallucinations. To those "wired" - it is real, nonetheless; it becomes visceral, through a "psychosomatic" channel.

Interesting part, could come, when the player, should need to discern, what is real and what is projected; possibly switching to a right weapon or tool, in order to make a proper impact - the corporeal, can only be wounded with material weapons and the ethereal, can only be affected through objects compatible with the ethereal.

I do not know if this fits within the "Quake 9" spectrum of ideas, but I wanted to share anyway. "Psychosomatism", could bring an overt convolution of things that are meant to be simple, but it may be useful for a narrative twist, perhaps. In the end, the concept - the way I imagine it - is all about stating that the journey, is all in your mind.

triple_agent
2021-11-02 17:05:44
OneMadGypsy wrote:

Metal Gear Acid with Quake graphics.

Only if it has "battle royale" mode in it.

Board footer