Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Are you human or robot? If you have trouble, mail to spirit åt quaddicted døt c

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

triple_agent
2021-10-25 16:02:44
Mr.Burns wrote:

Visceral

I would wish.

Mr.Burns
2021-10-25 09:10:19

Visceral

GenericJohnDoe
2021-10-14 20:31:42

Carmack.

triple_agent
2021-10-14 05:17:25
Gila wrote:
Alex Ros wrote:

classic

Winner!

Since we have a winner, I guess it is okay now to customize some gamerules.

'Quake', is fine, but what about the 'id'?

If I was to describe 'id' - the legacy version of 'id' - with one word, I would hesitate somewhere between "creativity" and "violence", perhaps with a spice of "anarchy" added to the mix; if it could be merged all into one word, that is.

I wonder if violence - as an aspect of general negativity - is ever going to get depreciated in digital games.

EDIT:

'Quake', is said to draw from the Lovecraftian world of "Cthulhu" mythos. If you ever did read a tabletop RPG rulebook, the 'Call of Cthulhu', you would know, that violence and scenarios of lethal aggression in the realm of gameplay, are oft considered unfortunate - an outcome of a mistake or bad planning, made somewhere in organic emergence of the narrative.

Direct confrontation with a monster of "Cthulhu" mythos - within the notions of "Cthulhu" mythos - almost always, means game over - the trick, is to solve the riddle, without going "rubber tentacle strikes first, you can cast a spell if you pass a difficult focus test".

'Quake', is quite syncretic - it is well heroic, in my opinion. Heroic, like in 'D&D'.

Gila
2021-10-13 14:40:05
Alex Ros wrote:

classic

Winner!

Alex Ros
2021-10-13 13:55:55

classic

triple_agent
2021-10-13 05:17:03
c0j wrote:
Madfox wrote:

So you do mind?
Give your one word.

And don't say: 

Bored.

shooter

Funny if that was to be taken as a synonym of "bored", contextually speaking.

c0j
2021-10-13 02:47:57
Madfox wrote:

So you do mind?
Give your one word.

And don't say: 

Bored.

shooter

Madfox
2021-10-12 19:15:39

So you do mind?
Give your one word.

And don't say: 

Bored.

c0j
2021-10-12 15:37:14

cant believe alot of replies

triple_agent
2021-10-12 09:03:51
GenericJohnDoe wrote:

Reznor

In a way, Trent Reznor did make 'Quake' - such as the "Copper" mod, in the way of sound effects, alongside the enemy behavior corrections, does make my restauration of axe fighting purposefulness.

Suddenly, the axe, has become a tool of great concern - because it gained a missing dimension; the depth.

Sound, is a major element in viscerality. Remember the heartbeat in 'Doom 3'?

GenericJohnDoe
2021-10-11 22:33:23

Reznor

triple_agent
2021-10-05 07:14:07
basementApe wrote:
triple_agent wrote:

People undervalue boredom. The boredom, is a source of certain creative potential; as long as it gets properly broken, in due time. Sometimes things need to break, in order to release the thing new.

A friend of mine, who still uses a tracker to compose music, said this once:
"Creativity doesn't come when you're excited. Creativity comes when you're so bored out of your mind with what you have that you'll try anything to make it interesting again."

Was it not the good old Frederick N., who said that one meets their greatest, not in the loudest moments, but the quietest?

Fine example, is a constructive hobby of reading books in the leisure. Few people do that, nowadays. We are mostly distracted. In order to appreciate a good piece of written word - especially a more ambitious volume - one needs to quiet down; perhaps even retreat, in terms of modern consumerism. Boredom, is a thing required of that sort; the silence, to focus and go deeper.

Should we associate 'Quake', with the notion of "boredom"? That, would fit the perspective exercised in starter post.

basementApe
2021-10-05 04:37:16
triple_agent wrote:

People undervalue boredom. The boredom, is a source of certain creative potential; as long as it gets properly broken, in due time. Sometimes things need to break, in order to release the thing new.

A friend of mine, who still uses a tracker to compose music, said this once:
"Creativity doesn't come when you're excited. Creativity comes when you're so bored out of your mind with what you have that you'll try anything to make it interesting again."

whatisquake
2021-10-05 02:02:32

brown

Board footer