#51 2014-11-08 15:44:45

hkBattousai

Re: Quaddicted Suggestions

Spirit wrote:

New features are more fun than fixing things. I have some free time now. Any fancy (website) things you guys want?

How about writing a web page tutorial which explains how to create a simple Quake map step by step for dummies?

Last edited by hkBattousai (2014-11-08 15:46:02)

#52 2014-11-08 16:09:02

Icantthinkofanickname

hkBattousai wrote:

How about writing a web page tutorial which explains how to create a simple Quake map step by step for dummies?

There are already plenty such resources on the internet:

TrenchBroom tutorial for absolute beginners by Scampie
Links to various tutorials, guides, etc.
Somewhat older Radiant tuturial for absolute beginners by gb
Func_msgboard mapping help thread

#53 2014-11-08 16:23:50

Icantthinkofanickname

Spirit wrote:

New features are more fun than fixing things. I have some free time now. Any fancy (website) things you guys want?

In that case I'd like to bump four of my earlier feauture requests:
A link on the frontpage to the extended activity log.
A random map button at the top of each page, next to Frontpage/News/Maps/etc. (instead of just on the frontpage and the main map page).
This feature (user defined selections).
Clickable author names on the main map page.

#54 2014-11-09 15:06:23

Spirit
Administrator

Hm, the log and random map are more worthy candidates for users to bookmark in my opinion. I am not sure how useful they would be to random visitors.

User defined selections is a great reminder, I had actually started that once.

Clickable author names on the main map page: Done!

#55 2014-11-10 09:20:10

negke

Cllickable author names: special characters still break the filter script, e.g. if a name contains quotation marks.

The map list still has the old menu bar.

I hate having to enable referer to be able to use the forum...

#56 2014-11-10 11:41:21

Spirit
Administrator

I was not looking for bug reports but I fixed them anyways!

Referrer: http://fluxbb.org/docs/v1.5/troubleshoo … tp_referer
Should be easy to enable permanently though, request policy of httpswitchboard?

#57 2014-11-18 19:11:03

Icantthinkofanickname

Spirit wrote:

Hm, the log and random map are more worthy candidates for users to bookmark in my opinion. I am not sure how useful they would be to random visitors.

I just realised you probably mean this random map page (with the screenshots), which can indeed be bookmarked. I actually meant just the random "button" (which on the frontpage is next to the link to the page with the random screenshots). The random map page seems only to cycle through maps with high editor's ratings, whereas I personally often like to cycle through random maps from the entire database, including speedmaps and maps of dubious quality, potential hidden gems etc. -- and since only the frontpage and main map list have "random" buttons, this involves more back-and-forth clickery than would be necessary if there were a "random" button at the top of each page.

As for the activity log, I can see that non-registered visitors would not find a link to it particularly useful, and maybe it is not frontpage material, but at the moment the only way I know of finding it is by sifting through the forums, where it is mentioned (I think) twice. Of course I usually have it bookmarked, but when I am on a different computer, it seems unnecessarily hard to get to.

Sorry if this comes off as obstinate; I respect your decision but just felt I had not argued my side as well as I could (and that I might have been misunderstood re: the random page/button).

Spirit wrote:

Clickable author names on the main map page: Done!

Thanks!

Last edited by Icantthinkofanickname (2014-11-19 19:34:09)

#58 2014-11-19 11:06:12

Spirit
Administrator

Oh, you can totally bookmark that but you have to add the link manually: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/random_map.php (rightclick or copy, depending how your browser handles bookmarks). Don't really want to add that link anywhere else, maybe some day.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/rand … ations.php indeed only shows "good" maps with a rating of 4 or 5.

If I ever add the editor log (changes in reviews, etc) to the log, I will put it on the frontpage. I kinda like things like that as hidden gimmicks for the power-users at the moment. :) Did you know about https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/leaderboard.php

#59 2014-11-19 19:42:20

Icantthinkofanickname

No, I did not know about the leaderboards. Now I'll feel even guiltier about spamming the frontpage feed (I have a massive backlog of comments I have jotted down but not uploaded, partly because I sometimes like to mull things over before potentially posting nonsense, and partly because I feel bad about posting too many comments at once and drowning out other users' voices. Which of course in turn means that the backlog is perpetually on the increase).

Thanks for the randomiser url, but my browser does not allow me to bookmark it -- if I right click/ctrl+click, it just opens a particular randomly selected map page, and if I copy & paste, it does not give me the option of bookmarking until I hit enter, at which point it once again goes to specific map page (which can bookmark, but that's obviously pointless).

Oh well. A few extra clicks to cycle through random maps won't kill me. :)

#60 2014-11-20 20:11:31

Spirit
Administrator

Hm, maybe if you rightclick on it?

Don't throttle yourself, push them away!

Btw, I always wanted this site to be more of a meritocracy, so if you really think those links should be on the frontpage, just add them! As long as no-one goes onto a destructive spree or everything ends up (more) messy (than already), change is good and opportunity. :)

#61 2014-11-22 00:57:23

Zotun

Maybe having the tags for each map on the download page replaced with a small picture of the map instead?

#62 2014-11-24 00:10:37

mfx

Something is weird when rating maps(clicking the hearts) with a touchscreen. Yep.

#63 2014-11-24 19:20:46

Spirit
Administrator

Zotun, there will be a browser with pages some day. Loading more than 1000 images is not a good idea. ;)

mfx, how?

#64 2014-11-24 21:27:23

mfx

Spirit, i dont know how. But after voting and returning to the frontpage shows me 10 rerates of the just-rated map when i do this with a touchpad device.
Doesnt affect the rating tho. Guess i have to use a real computer for that.

#65 2014-11-24 21:41:29

Spirit
Administrator

Works fine for me so it's rather the browser you use there (or fat fingers ;) ).

#66 2014-11-24 21:44:15

mfx

Hmmm, it was smeary, k? =D

#67 2015-09-17 20:37:53

ezze

gog now sells Quake WITH the soundtrack! It deservesto be added to the proper section of the website.

#68 2015-09-18 07:37:38

Spirit
Administrator

I agree! It's a wiki, everyone can edit it.

#69 2015-09-18 07:46:02

ezze

The "Information on the map descriptions" page is quite useful already, but it probably should have more information about some tags used in the website. For example: coagula, honey, or manass...

(Seriously, what does the manass tag mean for Honey map?)

#70 2015-09-18 07:46:22

ezze

Wait? A wiki? Thanks!

#71 2015-09-18 16:45:03

Spirit
Administrator

Heh, the tags are pretty much freeform as everyone can add them. "manass" probably hints at someone's appreciation of czg's soft and tender buttocks.

#72 2015-09-19 12:07:09

negke

Map list login still redirects to the forum index.

#73 2015-09-19 20:17:10

Spirit
Administrator

Don't log out!

Sorry, can't be arsed for that minor inconvenience. Greetings from Bavaria! ;P

#74 2015-09-20 08:46:55

negke

A minor inconvenience if you know about it perhaps. But to someone new who doesn't, it may be confusing as to how registered commenting on the map pages works (if at all).

#75 2015-09-22 20:33:23

ezze

Sorry, even if the site is a wiki I get the pages sources as "Read-only", what I am supposed to do in order to edit pages?

Board footer