You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-12 21:58:30

Spirit
Administrator

A weekend of Quaddicted future?

Since the Quaddicted map system is old and broken, new releases never get added and I have too much control on the site:

How about we find a weekend some time this year to focus on the shortcomings of the site and grand visions plans for the future? I have lots of ideas how a vastly different system could ensure that new releases are available in an instant, automated tools can become way more powerful, etc.

But alone it is not much fun to work this step by step.

Who would be up for some focused collaboration?

#2 2018-11-13 08:00:33

shamblernaut

Re: A weekend of Quaddicted future?

I'd be up for this.

#3 2018-11-13 13:44:58

MikeTaylor

I don't think such a grand plan is necessary. To me, Quaddicted is 97% of what I want from a Quake site, and the missing 3% is just timely addition of new maps. I think you could just appoint three or four trusted lieutenants and given them the necessary privileges to do this, and we'd be fine.

#4 2018-11-13 16:23:19

Spirit
Administrator

The issue with adding the new maps on time is that people want free filenames and the possibility to release multiple versions of something using the same filename(s). The current system does not support that.

shamblernaut: Yay!

#5 2018-11-13 17:59:40

dumptruck_ds

Spirit I can not actually help with code or anything but I am good at outreach IMO. What kind of skills should interested parties have. Python development I assume. What other disciplines would be helpful for this brainstorming?

#6 2018-11-14 09:26:14

Spirit
Administrator

Oh but you can!

It should be more about data structures and organisation, tagging and other things that require knowledge of how and what kinds of things are released in the Quake (or general modding) scene and imagination how to put those into "rules"/models.

Python and all that comes later, once we have the concept right, the rest should be fun.

#7 2018-11-15 15:22:23

topher

I can help too. I am in a bit of a mess in my life now; but i have some time to spare.

ideas:

one thing that can be done is making a package manager, each map or mappack has multiple versions. The old versions remain hosted. And the versions are generated internally if necesary.

the problem is expecting or enforcing rules on the releases...

otherwise we will need a more complex script to handle different things, or someone manually checking the packages.
or make a testing thing, that checks if a package is malformed, handling automatically the other ones, and making scripts/rules for whatever comes up. or, maybe, giving the rules and tools for the mappers so they do it manually themselves.

#8 2018-11-15 17:24:45

adib

Long long time corporate boring stuff developer here, Java developer for more than 15 years now. Would like to help with "data structures and organization" or anything else. It would be nice to have someone more experienced in portals and content management in this discussion. Do we have someone?

#9 2018-11-27 21:33:27

Pieter

I am willing to help with this. For my job I do a lot of work in Python, R  and SQL (mostly analysis, but also data transformation etc.). I have no experience with web development, but am interested to learn. I have limited time available (job, 3 small children, etc) but can review and comment on proposals, do some coding where needed and can work on documentation. My main motivation is the importance of an archive like Quaddicted for future popular culture historians (I am one by training :-)

#10 2018-11-27 21:40:10

Pieter

Pieter wrote:

I am willing to help with this. For my job I do a lot of work in Python, R  and SQL (mostly analysis, but also data transformation etc.). I have no experience with web development, but am interested to learn. I have limited time available (job, 3 small children, etc) but can review and comment on proposals, do some coding where needed and can work on documentation. My main motivation is the importance of an archive like Quaddicted for future popular culture historians (I am one by training :-)

My current line of thought for the near future is to have a submission script running which can check the validity of incoming submissions, do some minor metadata transformation if needed / possible and submits the package to the archive maintainers. Submissions with too many packaging errors are rejected and a helpful rejection message is returned.

Such a script could tide the archive over until a more robust solution is available.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit
Are you human or robot? If you have trouble, mail to spirit åt quaddicted døt c

Checking if this is requested by a real person and not an automated program.

Board footer