#1 2019-02-17 16:26:41

coincoincanard

A short admiration letter

Hello everyone,

A friend and I recently got interested in Quake, and mapping in general. He is an avid Doom fan, and I played Quake from time to time using Darkplaces some years ago. Nothing too serious, but recently, the X-Mas Jam 2018 got my attention. I can't remember why, but it caught my eye and I wanted to try it out… and I wasn't disappointed!

But this is where things got overwhelming for me, because this jam pack is based on “Arcane Dimensions”, and I've never heard of that mod before!

I gave it also a try, and as an occasional Quake player I must say that I am absolutely astonished with the overall quality of this mod. The new functionalities, new weapons, new enemies (although, as I understand it, some of them are imported from Hexen II… which I also never played before…), and of course the maps.

It is, by far the most impressive mod I have ever played on any game.

I insist on the fact that I am an occasional player, because when playing AD, I couldn't tell precisely what was new and what wasn't… precisely because AD is very good and blends perfectly with the original game!

AD feels very natural, and again, I can't find the right words for it's quality. The maps are incredibly huge, the difficulty is very challenging for an average FPS player, the level of detail and the architecture is fantastic, and even the level hubs are impressive! Not only that, but there's three hubs, and all have hidden secrets (!!!)… and even the test maps are enjoyable to play and looks good.

So, here you go, it's hard to tell you how overwhelmed I am by the quality of your work. Done in only two years during your spare time!

The X-Mas Jam 2018 was equally impressive to me, right from the level hub.

But that's not all!

I'm also very impressed to see that the Quake community is both very active and creative.

I am so impressed with the work put on Quakespasm, on the new level editor TrenchBroom, but also the map compilation tools by Eric Wasylishen, the excellent mapping video tutorials by David Spell (dumptruck_ds), and the other countless tools, jams, map packs, etc.

So, take it from a wannabe newcomer to the mapping scene, your impressive work have convinced me that Quake got a lot of things right from the start and that it still holds today as one of the best FPS of all time.

Keep up the excellent work.

Best regads.

#2 2019-02-22 23:02:27

manwithnoname22

Re: A short admiration letter

coincoincanard wrote:

Hello everyone,

A friend and I recently got interested in Quake, and mapping in general. He is an avid Doom fan, and I played Quake from time to time using Darkplaces some years ago. Nothing too serious, but recently, the X-Mas Jam 2018 got my attention. I can't remember why, but it caught my eye and I wanted to try it out… and I wasn't disappointed!

But this is where things got overwhelming for me, because this jam pack is based on “Arcane Dimensions”, and I've never heard of that mod before!

I gave it also a try, and as an occasional Quake player I must say that I am absolutely astonished with the overall quality of this mod. The new functionalities, new weapons, new enemies (although, as I understand it, some of them are imported from Hexen II… which I also never played before…), and of course the maps.

It is, by far the most impressive mod I have ever played on any game.

I insist on the fact that I am an occasional player, because when playing AD, I couldn't tell precisely what was new and what wasn't… precisely because AD is very good and blends perfectly with the original game!

AD feels very natural, and again, I can't find the right words for it's quality. The maps are incredibly huge, the difficulty is very challenging for an average FPS player, the level of detail and the architecture is fantastic, and even the level hubs are impressive! Not only that, but there's three hubs, and all have hidden secrets (!!!)… and even the test maps are enjoyable to play and looks good.

So, here you go, it's hard to tell you how overwhelmed I am by the quality of your work. Done in only two years during your spare time!

The X-Mas Jam 2018 was equally impressive to me, right from the level hub.

But that's not all!

I'm also very impressed to see that the Quake community is both very active and creative.

I am so impressed with the work put on Quakespasm, on the new level editor TrenchBroom, but also the map compilation tools by Eric Wasylishen, the excellent mapping video tutorials by David Spell (dumptruck_ds), and the other countless tools, jams, map packs, etc.

So, take it from a wannabe newcomer to the mapping scene, your impressive work have convinced me that Quake got a lot of things right from the start and that it still holds today as one of the best FPS of all time.

Keep up the excellent work.

Best regads.

http://www.quakeawards.com/

Also, if you're looking for more Doom maps:

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

Board footer