#1 2019-05-09 14:46:28

Solomoriah

Weird Quakespasm bug... can anyone explain it?

I've had to basically give up playing Danzadan's maps, because they cause Quakespasm (on Linux 64 bit, where I live) to blow up when I save the game.  It's only maps by Danzadan that do this.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the toolchain they are using to build the maps, but I can't figure out what it is.  Darkplaces doesn't run very well on my hardware, but Quakespasm runs fine and can play basically any other map just fine.  It makes me sad, because so many of Danzadan's maps are really nice...

#2 2019-05-09 15:54:04

Gioyo3aa

Re: Weird Quakespasm bug... can anyone explain it?

I have no technical insight on the issue, but I faced that problem with one of the hwjam maps (I live in the same world as you, or close). Debian's version of QuakeSpasm is 0.92.1, which crashed when saving games, but the problem disappeared with version 0.93.

#3 2019-05-10 01:48:18

Solomoriah

Yeah, but I'm on 0.93 and I still have the bug...

#4 2019-05-10 07:18:58

Spirit
Administrator

Run it in gdb with debugging symbols included, get the crash, type "bt" and send that to the developers.

#5 2019-05-11 04:21:34

ericw

There's a good chance it's the "wad" key overflow, I posted about it in: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/xmasjam2018.html

Regarding the buffer overflow when saving some maps in Quakespasm, it's triggered by an extra long value (>512 chars) for the "wad" worldspawn key on some of the maps. It's patched in Quakespasm SVN r1607 but not released: https://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/code/1607/ I think the buffer overflow is present in the original engine as well so it'll affect anything that doesn't patch this.

Since it's a buffer overflow, it may or may not crash for you. Maps should avoid extra long keys, ideally the compile tools would warn about this, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have linux binaries of the latest SVN code to offer but if you can build Quakespasm SVN from source that would be worth a try, otherwise Spirit's advice is good.

#6 2019-05-14 03:24:38

Solomoriah

Thanks ericw, that's helpful.  I'll do a little research and see if I can get that working.

Board footer