#1 2020-11-29 16:05:39

nuclearballs1

Bermuda Octagon mapping details

I figure that the mapping folks here, might be interested in some data involving my new map, that I mentioned in the "General Discussions" part of the forum. When creating the Bermuda Octagon, the biggest challenge by far was getting the magma tram loading station doors to work. What I realized when tackling this quest is, that the I D team created the Quake engine commands, based on what they needed. So if the level designers had no need for something, you wouldn't find that ability in the Quake engine. In my opinion, they worked the cause / effect in this area, bass ackwards. They should have started with the basic obvious things that MIGHT be needed, before the level designers started their work. Some of the most elementary things that should be a part of the Quake engine, aren't there. As an example, let's say you have room, and it starts with a front and rear door. The front door is normally open, and when you walk through, it closes behind you. It stays closed until you exit out the rear door, and then opens again, and waits for the next player. Something like this is so basic, but you can't create this with the normal commands. Yes, you can do it, and those who know the programming part well, already know how it's done. So, with this in mind that the Quake engine capabilities are based only on level need, rather than possible need, here's a trivia question. What is the most important level in basic Quake? In other words, you remove this one original map, and the Quake engine loses a WHOLE LOT. (Jeopardy final question music playing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_SVOJceU4

#2 2020-11-30 20:16:56

nuclearballs1

Re: Bermuda Octagon mapping details

Hmmmm, more than 50+ views later, and nobody has a clue to my trivia question. Moving on in the map details, I used no "mods," when creating the map. I think the only thing that I implemented, that was not used in the original Quake 1 maps, is "skip textures." In the video, I didn't mention that this is the 2nd map version. After many hours of testing and frustration, trying to come up with a way to make the tram loading area, outside doors to work, I did figure it out. In the 1st map, the doors are "func trains," just like the trams are. It was after solving the door issue, that I started Omicron bot testing. When I realized that the bots could be trained to ride the trams, and actuate the doors closing, I made the outside doors real doors, instead of "func trains." If you compare the 2 maps, above ground looks exactly the same. Below ground is very different. The main, and important advantage in using actual doors, instead of "func trains," has to do with stability over more than a few hours or so, of playing. Some internet servers will run a map, for a very long time. The 1st map would degrade too quickly, if tried in a server environment. In the current one, the doors "reboot" on each tram cycle, making this part stable. I did mention in the video, the tram degradation over time. These don't "reboot," like the outside doors do. Let me ask you guys another, easier question: If you guys think that my new map is the absolute best Quake 1, deathmatch map you've ever seen, just remain silent. Don't post anything :)

#3 2020-12-09 16:48:25

nuclearballs1

Re: Bermuda Octagon mapping details

For those who have downloaded my new map on youtube, there is a 12/8/20 revision now available. I fixed a couple of minor bugs. In addition, I added FTE and DirectQ game engine info, in the Read Me text file.

Board footer