#1 2012-08-24 12:50:34

Spirit
Administrator

User defined map lists/buckets/selections

How shall we call it? Selection or list?

"Add to list" dropdown on map pages.
  Shows list of user's lists and an option to "Create new list".
Lists page shows all public lists.
List page shows entries of a list, if logged in and owned list, user can delete entries.
User page shows user's public lists, if logged and on own profile, show all lists.

Lists are associated to one user.
Lists have titles, for example "Maps I never want to play again" or "Stupid".
Users can set their lists public or private (and edit that setting).
Lists will have no order unless someone steps up to implement that.

There could be default lists, like "Played", "Bookmarks". Private by default?

Tables:
lists:
primary key - list id - list title - user who owns list - visibility flag - date (of creation)

maps on lists:
primary key - list id - map id - date (of addition)

#2 2012-08-24 16:41:38

negke

Re: User defined map lists/buckets/selections

Hmm, doesn't seem worth it as a distinct feature imo, and I doubt many would use it anyway. Even now, users can easily create forum threads to list and discuss their favorite releases. All of these threads could then be referenced in a central sticky thread.

#3 2013-11-29 16:50:37

Icantthinkofanickname

First of all, thank you so much, Spirit, for this wonderful site.

And (not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I just wanted to express my gratitude): thanks to everyone who has created and is still creating Quake SP maps. There is so much astounding talent and creativity here, but I am grateful to the creators of all of these maps (even those that might have turned out dismally bad) for releasing their work -- and to you, Spirit, for maintaining this massive collection.

Secondly, I have only recently registered and I see this suggestion was posted quite long ago, but for what it's worth, I would actually like to see such a feature implemented, for two main reasons:

1) It would help with personal organisation. The current option to view "maps you rated" is nice, but it would be even better to be able to have a list of maps I would group together because they have something in common to me, but not to anyone else -- e.g. maps I want to replay, which might be different from maps I rated highly.

2) Although private by default would probably be a good option, it would be interesting to be able to see the lists of other users (those who wish to make their lists viewable to others), as a way of discovering new maps to try out. You might, for instance, discover that someone shares your tastes, and decide to try all the maps in one of that person's lists.

In response to negke: because of reason 1, at least some people might create lists even when they would not want to bother starting a forum thread. Others could then benefit from this (see reason 2).

#4 2013-12-08 00:50:57

erc

I think this would be beneficial if implemented.

Board footer