#1 2021-05-29 22:15:44

triple_agent

How to quickly take notes on the map during gameplay

Once I was searching for pen and paper, wanting to take notes on a map while playing it, so as to have some footprint of hot impressions, for the sake of possible review coming after. Then it came to me, that the engine - at least the QSS - does automatically remember the history of every manual console input, therefore - it does also remember any non-computable data; the plain text. There is a nuance to the latter, though - since if to begin the statement with a word recognizable to the engine as command introduction - such as "map" - the engine will respond, sometimes crashing the game; which is why, it is good to know what trigger words to avoid beginning with. Likewise already pointed out, one of these, being: "map". Otherwise than that, the console, is a great notepad, conveniently allowing to automatically pause the game at the same time for the leisure of writing down thoughts. But I bet plenty of you have already been using that method.

#2 2021-05-30 01:26:07

h4724

Re: How to quickly take notes on the map during gameplay

You know, there's in-game chat that lets you do the same thing. You can also use condump when you're done to put it all in a txt file so you don't need to scroll through your console history.

#3 2021-05-30 01:29:31

triple_agent

h4724 wrote:

You know, there's in-game chat that lets you do the same thing. You can also use condump when you're done to put it all in a txt file so you don't need to scroll through your console history.

The console input does get automatically saved in a file called "history.txt", within the QSS directory. That is why I find it convenient. One can safely remove that file, it will be recreated as soon as with the next manual console input. For the chat, how is the input saved?

#4 2021-05-30 01:52:45

h4724

triple_agent wrote:

For the chat, how is the input saved?

It's printed to the console like everything else, and can be saved using the condump command, like I said. This will put it in the file condump.txt, in the mod folder (id1 etc). If you use the "say" command instead of the "messagemode" bind, it will also print it to history.txt.

#5 2021-05-30 03:19:26

triple_agent

h4724 wrote:
triple_agent wrote:

For the chat, how is the input saved?

It's printed to the console like everything else, and can be saved using the condump command, like I said. This will put it in the file condump.txt, in the mod folder (id1 etc). If you use the "say" command instead of the "messagemode" bind, it will also print it to history.txt.

Well, everyone uses what they like. I find the regular console input to make notes on maps simply easy and safe; it does not get overwritten between the sessions, saves on the go.

I rarely ever play multiplayer or anything such, at least currently, therefore the chat option, is pretty much useless to me. I am not a very social person, I guess.

#6 2021-07-10 05:25:03

triple_agent

On top of the map notes making, one could wish sometimes to record a screencast, in order to document an occurrence.

There are multiple tools for screencast recording. Some tools are multi-platform compatible, some tools are system exclusive. One such representative of the latter, is an 'Ubuntu' built-in screen recorder, valid for versions ranging from "18.04" up - default 'Gnome' environment.

Popular details on the tool, are linked here and here.

Summary:

Initiate: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+R
Stop: CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+R

Default recording time limit: 20 or 30 seconds
In order to hack the time limit off, arcane spell:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys max-screencast-length 0

Main drawback, is that the tool, does not record audio.

EDIT:

I believe this thread should be moved to the "Maps" forum section; sorry for the possible mislabel.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-07-10 05:34:31)

Board footer