#1 2021-07-25 12:03:10

Jugador

Descent-like fly mod (and maps) for Quake?

I think it would be really cool to have a Quake mod where the player could fly using the swim up/down keys to move along the vertical axis. Just like with noclip but without going throw walls. I know there is a "fly" command, but that one doesn't feel quite right.

It could even be better if this applied to the vertical axis relative to the player's view rather than the absolute vertical axis.

Is there something like this out there? And, if so, are there any maps made specifically for it?

Last edited by Jugador (2021-07-25 12:04:03)

#2 2021-07-25 12:15:34

triple_agent

Re: Descent-like fly mod (and maps) for Quake?

If to grant the protagonist a perpetual "environmental suit" or some kind of water-immunity, a level done entirely underwater, would probably work the way you envision it. Dry land monsters underwater behave just like on the land and there is no time limit they can remain submerged, from what I know. In order to make such gameplay practically doable, you would have to alter some default protagonist movement speeds.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-07-25 12:17:14)

#3 2021-07-25 13:45:38

qazzaq

#4 2021-07-25 15:05:13

Jugador

triple_agent wrote:

If to grant the protagonist a perpetual "environmental suit" or some kind of water-immunity, a level done entirely underwater, would probably work the way you envision it. Dry land monsters underwater behave just like on the land and there is no time limit they can remain submerged, from what I know. In order to make such gameplay practically doable, you would have to alter some default protagonist movement speeds.

This is not exactly the same because you still sink when not moving, but I guess it's close enough. I don't know any map like this, though. Also, water would have to be invisible, and the map shouldn't take place in an environment that is obviously underwater.

Another slight problem with this is that it prevents mappers from including proper underwater sections, I think.

Last edited by Jugador (2021-07-25 15:07:54)

#5 2021-07-25 15:10:32

triple_agent

Jugador wrote:

This is not exactly the same because you still sink when not moving

Yeah, good point. I think a simple mod could fix this, theoretically speaking.

Jugador wrote:

water would have to be transparent

It is within the engine state to tweak it up the way you like. Meaning, yes, you can make the water all transparent, from what I know. I have not experimented with it myself, though.

Jugador wrote:

and the map shouldn't take place in an environment that is obviously underwater

That is purely the case of artistic vision.

Jugador wrote:

Another slight problem with this is that it prevents mappers from including proper underwater sections, I think.

So you want to fly but then go underwater? How do you imagine 'Descent' handled this problem?

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-07-25 15:13:40)

#6 2021-07-25 15:21:37

Jugador

triple_agent wrote:
Jugador wrote:

So you want to fly but then go underwater? How do you imagine 'Descent' handled this problem?

I think many birds can both fly and swim under water. Should be no problem for Quake guy. :)

All I'm saying is that, if you make all water transparent, you can't include water sections that look like such.

#7 2021-07-25 15:24:29

triple_agent

Jugador wrote:

All I'm saying is that, if you make all water transparent, you can't include water sections that look like such.

When you say "water", I imagine something that is possible to be submerged in. Otherwise than that, a "water", can be a texture, I think.

#8 2021-07-25 15:27:01

Jugador

triple_agent wrote:
Jugador wrote:

When you say "water", I imagine something that is possible to be submerged in. Otherwise than that, a "water", can be a texture, I think.

Yes, I'm imagining a map where a flying player can also dive into the water if need be.

#9 2021-07-25 15:37:23

triple_agent

Do you remember the start map in 'Quake', leading to four main episodes - particularly I mean the entrance to the fourth episode? There is a section of water hanging like a screen, through which the protagonist has to move downwards, in order to fall off further, like from a precipice. 'Quake', is an abstract creation; water in 'Quake', does not have to be specifically handled in the way we are used to it in common life physics on the planet Earth. The water in 'Quake' can hang, for example, while still remaining solid in shape. I am not a mapper myself, but I do believe it is possible to include sections of different themed water elements within other sections of water elements; thus playing with various pieces, to build a diverse spacescape. You would have to look up the mapping tools to know if there are exact measures or limits for this, though.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-07-25 15:39:01)

#10 2021-07-25 18:41:49

I Like Quake

@Jugador Did you try this?:

When you're in water up to your neck to nose bring up the console and type in "fly". This will give you the ability to swim through the air, through water, slime, and lava without drowning or burning. It's the coolest cheat in my opinion. You'd have to increase sv_maxspeed from 320 though if you want to compensate for the slower swim speed.

#11 2021-07-25 18:54:08

Jugador

I Like Quake wrote:

@Jugador Did you try this?:

When you're in water up to your neck to nose bring up the console and type in "fly". This will give you the ability to swim through the air, through water, slime, and lava without drowning or burning. It's the coolest cheat in my opinion. You'd have to increase sv_maxspeed from 320 though if you want to compensate for the slower swim speed.

I didn't know about that! Very cool indeed.

Board footer