#1 2021-09-28 19:11:26

basementApe

Q2M - Quake 2 weapons in Quake

* Update 3 *

Mouse-wheel weapon cycling has been fixed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MfyGgX … sp=sharing

* Update 2 *

v1.1 had a horrible bug with mouse-wheel scrolling that would crash the game. That functionality has been disabled until I can get it fixed. Sorry to all who like to switch weapons this way.

New download here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YQTm4W … sp=sharing

* Update *

Q2M v1.1 is finished! It fixes a ton of things and adds several big improvements.

New in v1.1:

- Full Coop & Deathmatch support!

- Support for Dwell Episode 1!

- New HUD.

- New skins for all Q2 marines. Tap the number keys to cycle through them.

- Improved marine select-screen: Previous versions used regular models to display marine choices to players. Only problem was, they were visible to all other players as well. This version uses weapon models, which are client-only, to display the marines. So in other words, no more trippy visions of floating eyes and spinning marines all over the place in coop and deathmatch. No more shaky camera movements or clipping through walls either.

- Changed marine select-menu to display the right weapon/ammo-loadout for Q1 and Q2.

- Fixed wrong weapon models showing up in Underdark Overbright's Shub-level.

- Fixed backpacks giving the wrong amount of armor and deducting cells down to 100 if the player's ammo was already maxed out.

- Fixed a deathmatch bug with backpacks where new weapons wouldn't get added to the player's inventory.

- Improved railgun particle effect.

- Fixed railgun effect being invisible for other players in coop/deathmatch.

- Fixed orientation of the BFG blast-sphere sprite.

- Fixed Q2 item placements sometimes being off.

- Decreased the hyperblaster's recovery time.

- Updated player obituaries to include Quake 2 messages.

- Several other small tweaks, improvements and bugfixes.

- There's been quite a bit of code restructuring going on, so the instructions for modders have been updated as well.

Download Q2M v1.1 here:
<Removed - new download link above>

----------------
Original post:
----------------

Hey people!

I finished this mod today. It puts all the player weapons from Quake 2 into Quake. Full source code included. Download link below. Try it out, enjoy, and please let me know about any bugs you find. If you got any feedback or suggestions I'd love to hear about that as well :D

Uses Lunaran's Copper mod as a base.

Don't forget to check out the readme for more info!

output_q2m_menu2.md.gif

output_q2m_bfg3.md.gif

output_q2m_railgun4.md.gif

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hNbCBq … sp=sharing

Last edited by basementApe (2021-10-15 14:43:19)

#2 2021-09-29 05:15:57

triple_agent

Re: Q2M - Quake 2 weapons in Quake

Brilliant! It does need some polish here and there, but for the first impression, totally nuts. Very professional job!

#3 2021-09-29 06:51:49

theFALL

Having a blast playing 'honey' with this mod.
Many thanks for this basementApe

#4 2021-09-29 12:51:56

h4724

theFALL wrote:

Honey has its own progs.dat which it uses for several gameplay features, which you're replacing by using this.

#5 2021-09-29 14:26:48

theFALL

h4724 wrote:
theFALL wrote:

Honey has its own progs.dat which it uses for several gameplay features, which you're replacing by using this.

Absolutely.  I did wonder which elements of the honey maps would  malfunction without
its progs.dat.
Soon discovered that the rocket launcher in Q2M didn't trigger the rocket buttons.

#6 2021-09-30 11:39:23

basementApe

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like it :)

Just finished update v1.01 - changes here:

---------------------
- Added DOTA end text (thanks AMQ team)
- Fixed railgun particle offset and yaw rotation.
- Q2M now remembers your marine class across episodes.

Underdark Overbright:
- Falling into the void in Chthon's level - Added female marine falling sound.
- Now displays the correct weaponmodel after falling and reappearing in Chthon's level.

Modding guidelines:
- Made instructions and code changes a bit easier to follow for modders.
---------------------

v1.01 Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0jRBA … sp=sharing

theFALL wrote:

Absolutely.  I did wonder which elements of the honey maps would  malfunction without
its progs.dat.
Soon discovered that the rocket launcher in Q2M didn't trigger the rocket buttons.

Yeah the rocket projectile code is unchanged so you'd probably have that issue with base copper as well.

Last edited by basementApe (2021-09-30 11:57:41)

#7 2021-09-30 13:21:26

theFALL

Thanks basementApe - great mod and I'm replaying lots of maps with these new weapons.

#8 2021-09-30 19:00:23

Chaser

This mod is waaaaaaay more fun, than I expected :D! Great work, basementApe!!!!
It fits Q1 perfectly. Can't get enough of Rail and SShotgun ;)

#9 2021-10-04 16:46:17

basementApe

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I made another update: v1.02. If there isn't anything I've overlooked I think this might be the final version.

Changes here:

- Q2 max cell ammo upped to 200.

- Upped damage output for some weapons just a teeny bit to make them more competitive with the Q1 arsenal.

- You can now start firing your gun again right away after switching to a different weapon, same as regular Q1. The change-weapon animations still play, but there's no need to wait around for them to finish anymore.

- Wheel scrolling to change weapons has been improved: it's no longer locked to one-weapon-at-a-time the way it was before.

- Disabled marine-select screen tint. Didn't work in Quake Kex and was sorta pointless anyway.

- Added arrow key controls to marine-select screen.

- '9' and '0' key bindings should work properly for the railgun and BFG in all engines now. Except Kex, which seems to have zero respect for autoexec.cfg.

Bugfixes:

- Q2M wouldn't automatically switch to a different weapon if the ammo left was above zero but less than the amount needed to fire again.

- Ammo counter wouldn't update when the player picked up a weapon with the same ammo type as the one currently equipped.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I3DuTN … sp=sharing

On a side-note, does anyone know how to get in touch with the people who made Dwell? I was able to get Dwell working with my mod by decompiling their progs.dat, and I wanted to ask them if it's alright to release a (closed-source) q2m progs.dat with their source code baked into it.

Last edited by basementApe (2021-10-04 16:47:53)

#10 2021-10-07 11:06:23

basementApe

Working on a new HUD for v1.3. Quake is already kinda pixel-arty so I leaned into that:

spasm0004.png

#11 2021-10-07 13:58:31

c0j

now just recreate quake 2's e1m1

#12 2021-10-07 14:36:39

HAL9000

Impressive and fun mod, 10/10
If someone converts Q2 monsters, animations, textures and model scene names to Q1 mdl format would you try to convert monsters as well? Can't wait for update 1.3!

#13 2021-10-07 14:38:29

HAL9000

c0j wrote:

It would be cool if this mod kickstarts a totally new branch of q1 maps packs and map jams.

#14 2021-10-07 17:55:26

triple_agent

HAL9000 wrote:
c0j wrote:

It would be cool if this mod kickstarts a totally new branch of q1 maps packs and map jams.

That would be interesting. Certainly a refresher.

The most fun thing about 'Quake 2' that I remember, is how vivid it seemed. The combat dynamics, was supreme; the pace, was not ridiculous but proper; some death animations, were true expression of viscerality. Weapons, were satisfying to use, even if they lacked proper balance. Inventory system, was kind of meh; good for an RPG, bad for a shooter. Last but not least, I did play 'Quake 2' with the 'NIN' soundtrack from original 'Quake'.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-08 05:46:50)

#15 2021-10-08 18:00:51

HAL9000

Just a quick monster test - model/animations convert and swap without qc edit
It's basically enforcer with infantry model "skin" with "matched" animation frames

Q2Test test

Last edited by HAL9000 (2021-10-08 18:08:25)

#16 2021-10-12 08:07:54

basementApe

Hey Hal9000, that looks pretty cool! And thanks for the kind words as well :)

I'm probably not gonna try to add Q2 monsters to Quake. It would be a fun challenge, but it would also be a whole lot of work, and I already have several other things I wanna do with Quake and limited time to do them so..

In other news, I got v1.1 pretty much finished! Just need to sort out a couple of minor bugs before I release the final version with the source code. In the meantime, here's the almost finished beta.This is a massive update that fixes and improves a whole bunch of things so you'll definitely wanna upgrade to this one:

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TkfZLM … sp=sharing

Couple of problems.

1: The runes don't show up on the HUD for some weird reason. The game itself registers what runes you've picked up just fine. It'll also save and load the runes so you can progress to Shub's level no problem. It's just the HUD won't display them. Not sure what's going on there or how to fix it, so this one might never get fixed unless anybody else has any ideas.

2: In multiplayer, all players will share the same skin index. So all players can use individual models, they just can't use individual skins right now. If I can't figure this one out or if it's some kind of engine limitation that forbids different skins on different players then that's fine. I can circumvent it by just using different player models for each skin instead.

Release Notes v1.1b:

- Full Coop & Deathmatch support!

- New HUD.

- Much improved marine select screen: No shaky camera movement. No clipping through walls and other objects. No acid-trip visions of floating eyes and spinning marines all over the place in coop/deathmatch.

- Changed marine-select menu to display the right weapon/ammo-loadout for Q1 and Q2.

- Added 2 new skins for each player model (except Ranger). Tap a number key once to select a player, and again to select a different skin.

- Fixed wrong weapon model being assigned in UdOb Shub-level.

- Made model assignments more airtight in general.

- Fixed backpacks giving the wrong amount of armor and deducting cells down to 100 if the player's  ammo was maxed out.

- Improved railgun particle effect.

- Fixed railgun effect not showing up for other players in coop/deathmatch.

- Fixed orientation for the BFG blast-sphere sprite.

- Decreased the hyperblaster's recovery time.

- A bunch of other small tweaks, improvements and bugfixes.

Last edited by basementApe (2021-10-12 08:18:12)

#17 2021-10-14 16:18:06

basementApe

Version v1.1 is out! Check the original post for more info.

#18 2021-10-14 18:15:46

triple_agent

From the two choices, I think it is better to have a fluently functioning, humble mod - than to have a rich and overflowing, but janky mod.

Even though one could expect that - who says you need to transfer all of 'Quake 2' weaponry into the matrix of original 'Quake'? Functional balance, is more important, I think.

If you dare, you could experiment a bit, change priority of some guns.

What about 'Quake 2' artifacts, though?

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-14 18:21:00)

#19 2021-10-15 12:05:46

basementApe

triple_agent wrote:

From the two choices, I think it is better to have a fluently functioning, humble mod - than to have a rich and overflowing, but janky mod.

I definitely agree with this. I have a lot of love for Quake 2 (I mean obviously) but in addition to the complexity and workload issues there's another thing that makes me hesitant about including too much Q2 stuff into Quake. The strogg monsters just don't fit into the general gothy Lovecraft-esque atmosphere of Quake all that well I think.

However, it would definitely be interesting to have more sci-fi maps with some additional strogg fellas running around. I might still do it actually. Just not now :P Gotta get Q2M properly polished first. There's a very nasty bug in there right now that made me have to disable mouse-wheel functionality altogether!

triple_agent wrote:

Even though one could expect that - who says you need to transfer all of 'Quake 2' weaponry into the matrix of original 'Quake'? Functional balance, is more important, I think.

If you dare, you could experiment a bit, change priority of some guns.

What about 'Quake 2' artifacts, though?

Hmm... how do you mean? Re-balance the weapons? So far I've tried to strike a good balance between authentic Q2 behavior and balance against the Q1 arsenal.

Anyways, as mentioned I just fixed, or well circumvented, a very bad bug. Check out the original post for the new download link.

Last edited by basementApe (2021-10-15 12:07:22)

#20 2021-10-15 17:35:39

triple_agent

basementApe wrote:

The strogg monsters just don't fit into the general gothy Lovecraft-esque atmosphere of Quake all that well I think.

However, it would definitely be interesting to have more sci-fi maps with some additional strogg fellas running around.

So far I've tried to strike a good balance between authentic Q2 behavior and balance against the Q1 arsenal.

I do not believe you will "port" the experience of 'Quake 2' into the original 'Quake', unless you are willing to overdo yourself, probably for an insufficient result. What is feasible, though, is to build a new, customized experience. That is why, I am against ideological perspective on the notion of porting 'Quake 2' weapons into 'Quake'. In other terms, I think it is perfectly fine to just choose what weapons you want and what weapons do port easily, simply throwing away those that do not fit well, for contextual or technological reasons.

I believe the weapons, do not necessarily have to follow even the rule of traditional 'id' rooster continuum; where you go from a pistol to a shotgun, then to a machinegun, then to a rocket launcher, then to a special weapon and then to a mobile version of massive guillotine. You can easily tweak that order. In the end, it is up to how the map is constructed against available resources and priorities. If we assume energy cells are common, the hyperblaster, could become a new machinegun - if to tweak the power output it gives. Notwithstanding, it is not about doing this or that, it is about maintaining flexibility in perspective.

EDIT:

The notion of making the hyperblaster, an upgraded machinegun equivalent, is not new - 'Quake 4', already did that. Even though 'Quake 4', in my opinion, is by all means a very correct game, I am rather unconvinced, that we should look up to it, for inspiration. The inspiration, essentially speaking, is what it seems to be wanting the most.

By the way, this entire thread should be moved to the "mods" forum section.

NEXT:

Having given it a better look, the hyperblaster itself, works kind of janky. I also think it is unnecessary to put a 'Quake' marine in the model rooster, among the 'Quake 2' characters. Unless, you want to mix original 'Quake' weaponry, into the arsenal of 'Quake 2' that you bring in, as well. There is difference, the way I feel about it.

What if to remove all automatic weaponry from the game, altogether - at least speaking of those weapons, wielded by the protagonist? What I believe in regards to combat in 'Quake', is that the combat, needs to have certain rhythm to it - combined with adequate enemy behavior patterns. It results in certain kind of dance - the dance of 'Quake' combat. Continuous fire weapons, somewhat break that.

Incorrect enemy behavior patterns, can also break that. In 'Quake 2', there was this pattern, according to which, some antagonists, being under fire from a hyperblaster, would duck. It was terrible; made no sense altogether - handicapped their combat ability, questioned their robotic appeal and ultimately made them easy targets; because they, would usually duck in the open, sitting there like some dumb birds.

What I like about your mod, is that the 'Quake 2' weapon rooster, is made a bit more powerful, as compared to the original, rendering the combat, simply less tedious and thus the gameplay, that bit more dynamic.

I do feel like the combat in original 'Quake', is a little bit grindy.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-17 07:27:23)

#21 2021-10-25 23:45:35

HAL9000

I'm working on optional Q2 monster addon for this mod.

Monsters will behave just like vanilla Quake1 monsters (more or less)
They are basically "reskin/remodel" with some QC code tweaks (progs.dat) and model animation tweaks (mdl/md5)
Models are not 1:1 batch conversion from Q2 to Q1, I've added MD5 support for KEXQuake rerelease, to properly load new models (because of the HD model switch in the options). Tested with VKquake, Quakespasm and KEXQuake

Here is a short preview:
Q2Test Models

Here is Youtube video link (KexQuake):
https://youtu.be/POllEy6Ft98

I would like to hear some feedback, suggestions and ideas.
I will release first version as Q2M pak1.pak after I convert all enemies

#22 2021-10-26 04:30:52

triple_agent

Looks promising, @'HAL9000'. I would stick with the original, sinister dog models, for what I saw.

#23 2021-10-26 05:39:34

HAL9000

triple_agent wrote:

Looks promising, @'HAL9000'. I would stick with the original, sinister dog models, for what I saw.

Yeah, that Zaero Hound looks weird. I will try several other solutions as well to see what is the best dog replacement.

#24 2021-10-27 04:59:18

triple_agent

Speaking of the 'Quake 2' weapon rooster, I think the machinegun, had ridiculous recoil, making it eventually an annoying gun to use; in many ways inferior to the chaingun - which, in turn, offered both, a steady fire, as well as an all-out mode, while employing samewise ammo type as the machinegun.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-27 05:02:19)

#25 2021-10-30 09:27:28

basementApe

Hey, I missed this somehow!

@HAL9000:
That looks very cool! Well done so far, I look forward to seeing more. You're using v1.12, right?

@triple_agent:
Yeah, I went a bit overboard with the machinegun climb in earlier versions. It's been toned down for v1.12.

Mod DB link here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/q2m-quake-2- … s/q2m-v112

There are a couple of things I meant to include in v1.12 but forgot, namely functions to add bfg and railgun pickups to custom maps. Right now you can only place lightning guns and the mod then automatically converts them based on what's in the player's inventory, which isn't really ideal. So there's gonna be a v1.13 with this support soon. @HAL9000: If you need, I can help you add it for the new q2 guys as well.

Board footer