#1 2012-11-28 17:04:05

Spirit
Administrator

What is going on in terms of Quake Engines

Tyrann is being a busy bee on Tyrquake again, adding many commits to the git repository. It looks mostly like bug fixing and code clean up.

The QuakeForge project is in serious development as Taniwha works on a GLSL based engine, tools and everything that is not set in stone. Did you know QuakeForge includes some fantastic utilities for PAK and WAD files? Map compilers?

MH (DirectQ coder) seems to be more excited about Doom 3 and Quake 2 at the moment. Findings from the Quake 2 hacking already went into DirectQ though. I wish he had a public commit log too.

Quakespasm is continually developed but Sourceforge does not seem to have a short log overview so I have no idea what is going on... (No, I cannot be arsed to do a checkout.)

FTEQW is not getting any homepage update love but as usual it is in constant, heavy development. A notable recent feature is SQLite support. Someone please backport this to "normal" engine, it would be incredibly insanely fantastically useful.

DrLabman worked on maintenance too. It looks like QMB is going to C++ but maybe it always used that and I just did not know (or care) before. It also runs on Linux.

atphalix used Quake to create a educational game about weapon/ammunition dangers. Not sure if it uses Darkplaces or Tyrquake in the end.

engine_blinky_panini.gif
I never got it to compile because of LutJIT weirdness but shaunew's blinky engine looks awesome. Based on Tyrquake it takes Fisheye Quake to the next level by adding MANY projections.

Whatever libxenon is, lantus' SDLQuake port uses it.

game_doodle_2.jpg
The creatively named Doodle (Source) is "a game that aims to provide a fun audiovisual experience instead of innovative gameplay". It uses NPRQuake for a doodle-ish rendering effect. Sadly it looks abandoned.

And in the comments below you will find the coders correcting my mistakes and publically talking about more of their recent work. :)

#2 2012-11-30 14:12:56

Spirit
Administrator

Re: What is going on in terms of Quake Engines

Or not.

#3 2012-12-01 23:49:47

Random Stranger

The LibXenon is for "clean room"/home brew XBox 360 programming, however it looks like you can use the XBox 360's controller with your GNU/Linux PC. This looks like fun. Any other random stranger feel free to elucidate.

NPRQuake is neat, but it could use some added environment shading and color.

#4 2012-12-01 23:59:47

Random Stranger

Random Stranger wrote:

The LibXenon is for "clean room"/home brew XBox 360 programming, however it looks like you can use the XBox 360's controller with your GNU/Linux PC. This looks like fun. Any other random stranger feel free to elucidate.

NPRQuake is neat, but it could use some added environment shading and color.

Addendum: You code on Windows with CygWin, Mac, or GNU/Linux and then copy it to a USB card for enjoyment/play testing. (RTSC)

Board footer