#26 2014-01-18 11:36:22

Icantthinkofanickname

Re: Quakespasm questions

Thank you for the advice, negke. I don't run Windows on my own computer(s), though (and as far as I know DirectQ is Windows only ... or am I wrong?).

#27 2014-01-20 20:25:25

jackieben

Correct, it's for DirectX

#28 2014-04-04 19:23:50

AAS

For clear underwater/powerup visuals use gl_cshiftpercentage (or something begining with gl_cshift*) with quakespasm.
20 is OK to me, you can tell that you're underwater and you see everything around.

Sorry for thread necromancy.

#29 2014-04-04 21:02:59

Spirit
Administrator

AAS wrote:

Sorry for thread necromancy.

Oh no, on the contrary! Thanks for adding valuable information to the relevant thread! People who rant about bumping old threads with relevant information are not very smart. :)

#30 2014-04-08 17:25:44

Icantthinkofanickname

Hi AAS. The question was actually answered earlier by LeopolD (see comments #8, #9 and #10), but thank you anyway; more information is better than less and I'd rather have a question answered twice than not at all.

The exact command is gl_cshiftpercent, with possible values ranging from 0 to 100. I've got mine set at at 42.

And I concur with Spirit: it's always welcome when someone adds information.

Thanks again.

#31 2014-04-08 17:28:47

Icantthinkofanickname

Oh, and thanks for confirming what I suspected, jackieben.

#32 2014-04-26 16:09:39

Icantthinkofanickname

When I take screenshots in Quakespasm, the saved images are distorted and in greyscale. Does anybody know why this happens and how (/if) it can be fixed?

(When I take screenshots in DarkPlaces on the same computer, everything works fine.)

#33 2014-04-27 10:44:31

mfx

Hi, ican...

Could you elaborate this issue a bit? Maybe upload a screenshot, and specify your machine.

I had that problem once with Fitz0.85, all screenshots looked totally garbled. That happened only when playing on an old laptop, where the screenresolution and proportions didn´t match with fitzquake´s settings.

Try twiddling with verticalsync on/off , else i have no clue.

#34 2014-04-27 14:52:36

Icantthinkofanickname

Hi mfx

Thanks for the quick response. I actually wanted to upload a screenshot along with my query, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload images to forum posts... Could anyone explain to me to how to do so? (I guess I must be overlooking something obvious.)

In the mean time I can try and describe what the screenshots look like. Each image is tilted (or slanting) about 40 degrees to the right, and is completely black-and-white.

As for my computer, it's fairly new (or at least what I would consider "fairly new", i.e. less than two years old), but nothing fancy. It has an Intel Core i3 chip running at 2.30 GHz, an integrated graphics card and 2 GB RAM. My screen's resolution is 1366 x 768. Anything else I need to include?

And as for your tip regarding "verticalsync": I found a "verticalsync" setting in the QS video settings menu, but there was no option to turn it either on or off; it just said "Verticalsync: N/A". Am I missing something?

#35 2014-04-27 18:03:09

mfx

Well, its seems your machine should handle this. And thats were my knowledge ends..
Oh, you can upload pictures to sites like imgur or such, and just post the link here.
Or you embed them, with help from this tutorial it should work:

https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/help.php#img

Cheers!

Probably it´s totally guessing in the dark...but maybe your .tga viewer is reading the files wrong? I assume you use windows?
And QS writes .tga (at least on my end..)

#36 2014-04-27 19:43:43

Icantthinkofanickname

Ah, thanks for that -- I didn't realise I had to upload images to an external site first. Well, here you go (I had to convert it to .jpg, as imgur does not seem to support .tga):

gvkld5W.jpg

No, I don't use Windows. I'm running Xubuntu. Ristretto (the default image viewer) and Gimp both display the screenshots as above.

#37 2014-04-28 09:01:45

szo

Hi, ican... Seems that the screenshot issue happens with screen widths that aren't a multiple of 4. Fixed in the quakespasm svn repository at rev 909:  http://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/code/909/
Fix will be integrated in the next release, whenever that happens.

#38 2014-04-28 09:02:54

ericw

Yeah, I get the same thing if I run Quakespasm in a 1366 wide window.
Seems to be similar to this: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=243314 (the glReadPixels call is padding each row to a multiple of 4 bytes, which the tga writing code isn't expecting).

Thanks for the bug report, should be pretty easy to fix.

#39 2014-04-28 09:03:31

ericw

Ah, szo beat me to it :)

#40 2014-04-28 09:07:32

mfx

Man, you guys are quick..

Last edited by mfx (2014-04-28 09:08:32)

#41 2014-04-28 10:12:17

Icantthinkofanickname

Thank you very much for the virtually simultaneous responses, szo, ericw and mfx. :)

Since people are looking at this thread again, perhaps someone has an answer to a question I asked earlier:

5) Another thing I have noticed is that switching between weapons using the mousewheel is a lot more sluggish and/or erratic in QS than in DP, at least while moving around. Sometimes the mousewheel seems to do nothing, and then it suddenly switches rapidly -- making it very hard to switch efficiently during combat. Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a setting I should change?

I have to a large extent become used to this by now, but I would still like to know what causes it. And if it is fixable, that would be great. It almost feels as if there is a conflict between input from the movement keys (AWSD) and the mousewheel, but as I said, it is never an issue on DarkPlaces on the same computer.

#42 2014-04-28 11:53:39

mfx

Hi ican..!

I think posting those issues on the Func_msgboard QS thread would be even faster! :)

No need for registering there, btw.

Last edited by mfx (2014-04-28 11:54:44)

#43 2014-04-28 14:26:45

Icantthinkofanickname

Thanks for the tip, mfx.

Maybe I'll do that in future too -- although I thought that by posting these questions here, I might also be helping other Quaddicted users who use Quakespasm, and who may not be users/lurkers over at Func_Msgboard.*

Besides, while I do look at Func_Msgboard from time to time, I look at Quaddicted much more frequently (force of habit?), so I'm more likely to notice answers to my questions here, even if it takes a while for those answers to appear.

By the way, thank you very much for asking about the screenshot issue on my behalf over at Func_Msgboard; I really appreciate it.

PS: Maybe I should eventually organise all of the questions and answers in this thread (and other QS-related threads such as this one and this one) into a mini-troubleshooting guide for novice QS-users like myself, either on a new help page, or as part of an existing page, e.g. here, here or here. Thoughts on this? Spirit?

------------------------------------------------------------------
*I tried a similar experiment with a thread about DarkPlaces, but for some reason it never took off. Perhaps I had phrased my questions there too negatively? For the record, I really like both DarkPlaces and Quakespasm, despite all the little ... weirdnesses.

Last edited by Icantthinkofanickname (2014-04-28 14:32:10)

#44 2014-04-29 00:12:30

ericw

The mousewheel bug you're having sounds annoying; I've never seen that before.

I can help debug it if you want, if you're set up to build QS from source.

First thing I'd do is print the events coming from SDL. In in_sdl.c, find:

Key_Event(buttonremap[event.button.button - 1], event.button.state == SDL_PRESSED);

and insert a line before that with:

Con_Printf ( "button %d state %d\n" , event.button.button, event.button.state );

Every time you turn the mousewheel you should get a pair of lines printed, like:

button 5 state 1
button 5 state 0

#45 2014-04-29 07:45:38

Icantthinkofanickname

Wow, thank you for your very generous offer to help and your somewhat intimidating advice, ericw. You may be overestimating my skills/knowledge quite a bit, but hey, I am willing to learn.

Just sent you an e-mail about this.

#46 2014-04-30 09:00:03

mfx

I have another "issue" that is bugging me for a long time now. It´s the caret/circumflex (^) being printed to the console, after pressing it to bring down the console.
This does not happen all the time, but when it makes me always delete it first, then i can type my commands/cheats whatever.
Has anyone encountered the same behaviour?

#47 2014-04-30 16:59:31

negke

Yes, I hate that. It happens when you bring down the console again after closing it with the ^ key instead of ESC.

#48 2014-04-30 17:05:50

mfx

Ah, yes it happens after 2nd toggleconsole, nearly smashed the keyboard on several occasions. :)

#49 2014-04-30 21:40:05

ericw

Ok, I see what's happening..

The steps to reproduce are:
-Windows OS, set to use the German keyboard layout.
-Start a new game, hit the ^ key (tilde on US layout) 4 times. The fourth time will type a ^ into the console instead of retracting.

The fourth ^ press has:
keysym.sym = '`'
keysym.unicode = '^'

Then this block of code in in_sdl.c causes the key to be treated as '^'

/* only use unicode for ` and ~ in game mode */
if (!gamekey || usym == '`' || usym == '~')
    sym = usym;

Not sure how to correctly fix it with sdl1.2, but it should be straightforward with sdl2 (which i'm working on implementing in qs) - they redesigned the keyboard input system to make more sense.

I guess the key that is in the ~ position on a US keyboard should always toggle the console, regardless of what meaning it has on the user's keyboard layout?

#50 2014-07-11 16:57:33

jackieben

I'd just bind it to a key which is not paired with a printable input character, usually have it on F10

Board footer