#1 2014-11-24 21:34:48

Spirit
Administrator

Advent calendar 2014?

Is there interest in another advent calendar? I am asking about interest in contributing, not in consuming.

https://www.quaddicted.com/quake_advent … endar_2013

I would be much more strict than last year, you would need to provide your entry in finished wiki syntax several days before your date. It would be great if more newbie friendly things were there. Last year many took the opportunity to work on something new. That created a lot of stress (on both sides) so I would like to avoid it (as awesome as the results were). Slightly edited text from last year:

24 people write 24 short features about anything Quake they want to showcase. On the Quaddicted.com frontpage will be a list of participating people and their date. On the date it becomes a link to their submission post. I will also cross-post to https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quake/8723859970 where a couple of thousand random people will "see" the posts. Maybe others will post the entries to other, preferably non Quake forums. The goal is exposure!

If you choose to participate please confirm quickly. Later send me 100-200 (500 is the hard limit, no exceptions) words plus at least one picture on anything you want others to check out, play or discuss. It should be mostly player/playing focused, not targeted at developers. It should be something that people can play, experience or consume at the same day. Make it Quake newbie friendly.

Random ideas:
- A map or mod that everyone should have played.
- An old website that is worth browsing.
- A long forgotten machinima from the golden days.
- Some research you did or an article you wrote.
- Modern software rendered Quake engines.
- A tool people should check out.

Please don't take the obvious popular choices, try to be original and surprising. The posts should be high quality. Every day should be something special and worth checking out. No work-in-progress stuff unless you publicly release a beta on the same day. Original new releases are welcome but I personally would like other things! You are welcome to pimp a project of your own! It does not have to do anything with what is currently hosted or displayed at Quaddicted. Anything Quake goes. (Quake means Quake 1.)

Exceptions:
- No standalone games unless they are very Quake related and really cool (mods like AirQuake are totally fine, not sure where the line is).
- No fan replacement stuff unless you want to post about Debaser.

Mail me privately if you definitely want in as I think having more surprises makes it more fun. Mail me the topic and date(s) you prefer.

#2 2014-11-24 21:41:59

mfx

Re: Advent calendar 2014?

I could do a map. If anybodys interested of course. Thats all.

#3 2014-11-28 13:38:04

Spirit
Administrator

As if you would not make one otherwise... ;)

#4 2014-11-29 08:40:35

negke

Biit late now. Guess it's down to Spirit in the nudes then!

#5 2014-12-02 01:58:52

ArrrCee

I apologize, I missed this last week due to the holiday here in America.

I'm sure it's too late as today is the 1st, but if anything is going (12 days of Christmas?) I would be interested in contributing if you needed people.

Thanks! =)

#6 2014-12-02 12:35:57

Spirit
Administrator

Only 3 people were interested so it's not happening.

#7 2014-12-07 22:26:05

Breezeep

Yes. Let there be an advent calender so I can spread the word about it on Func_ and Doomworld.

I'm also thinking about doing a remix of E1M1.

#8 2014-12-08 15:17:39

Icantthinkofanickname

Breezeep wrote:

Yes. Let there be an advent calender so I can spread the word about it on Func_ and Doomworld.

I'm also thinking about doing a remix of E1M1.

It's 8 days too late (or 357 days too early) for that, but don't let the absence of an Advent Calendar stop you from mapping!

Board footer