#1 2016-03-22 10:25:36

Mikko 'NewHouse' Uusitalo

Why compiling tools, opens, flashes and then closes immediately

Hi!

I'm new with the compiling stuff, and the wall of text is not easy to undertand and read.
I'm visual person and more into the level designing itself. I have been using Trenchbroom level editor, which
creates quake 1 map-files. I have been mapping now over 1,5 years but haven't been able to compile and test them in game itself.

I have to compile them into the bsp file. So I downloaded QBSP, LIGHT, VIS.exe compiling tools (applications).

My Quake 1 and mission packs were bought from Steam and their location is in my computer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake

and inside it has folders: Id1, qw, hipnotic and I created folder 'roque' too when trying to make cd tracks work, but they didn't work.

Question 1: Where do I put those compiling tools? Can those be separated from the quake folder?

Question 2: Where do I put that map file I want to compile?

Question 3: That closing immediately issue comes from that, not located correctly? Or is it something to do with my Windows 7 laptop?

Question 4: Steps how to compile, explained precisely? Or is it really that hard, when trying to just test maps? I don't care about lighting and other stuff right away, I simple want to test out my maps.

All answers are welcome if you're familiar with these subjects.
Also I'm not native English speaker, so correct me if needed.

#2 2016-03-22 12:42:03

given

Re: Why compiling tools, opens, flashes and then closes immediately

Hello

try this tool, i think it is helpful for you.

Compiling GUI

#3 2016-03-24 10:00:03

given wrote:

Hello

Compiling GUI

Thanks!

It helped me a lot, and figured out that QBSP didn't worked for me so I changed it to the Txqbsp.exe

I also downloaded reQuiem Quake engine.

Tool then compiled my test map file perfectly. And I even downloaded couple quake episodes to play around.

I still couldn't play any of those maps that weren't in the original quake level list from the episodes.

I received these error messages to the console:
Couldn't EXEC AUTOEXEC.CFG
COULND't SPAWN SERVER MAPS/MAP01.BSP

and also reQuiem engine specific fail messages?
FAILED TO LOAD DZLIB!
FAILED TO LOAD LIBPNG!
FAILED TO LOAD LIBJPEG!

INVALID GAMEDIR: MAP01 <-what is gamedir? is it the game directory path or something?

FAILED TO LOAD FMOM! (NOT FOUND)

#4 2016-03-24 10:03:34

And of course, yes! I have to move my Quake folder from the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
because Windows couldn't recognize it somehow*

#5 2016-03-28 09:11:57

Mikko 'NewHouse' Uusitalo wrote:
given wrote:

Hello

Compiling GUI

Thanks!

It helped me a lot, and figured out that QBSP didn't worked for me so I changed it to the Txqbsp.exe

I also downloaded reQuiem Quake engine.

Tool then compiled my test map file perfectly. And I even downloaded couple quake episodes to play around.

I still couldn't play any of those maps that weren't in the original quake level list from the episodes.

I received these error messages to the console:
Couldn't EXEC AUTOEXEC.CFG
COULND't SPAWN SERVER MAPS/MAP01.BSP

and also reQuiem engine specific fail messages?
FAILED TO LOAD DZLIB!
FAILED TO LOAD LIBPNG!
FAILED TO LOAD LIBJPEG!

INVALID GAMEDIR: MAP01 <-what is gamedir? is it the game directory path or something?

FAILED TO LOAD FMOM! (NOT FOUND)

I made huge mistake when not creating using right location for that MAPS folder, I created new folder MAPS under ID1 and everything solved. I should read manuals more carefully (Didn't read or find any readable ones). And suddenly when watching CustomGamer's Quake videos I realized what kind of idiot I'm.

Hopefully this common mistake? is good to point out for the beginners.

#6 2016-04-02 07:12:54

negke

The compiler windows instantly open and close, because they are DOS programs. In order to use them manually, you need to open the command prompt window (usually in Start menu->Programs->Utilities) or click on "Execute" in the Start menu and type "cmd". Then navigate to the directory in which they are located (I recommend id1\maps) and when running them from there, you'll be able to read the output.

#7 2016-04-04 11:18:09

NewHouse

negke wrote:

The compiler windows instantly open and close, because they are DOS programs. In order to use them manually, you need to open the command prompt window (usually in Start menu->Programs->Utilities) or click on "Execute" in the Start menu and type "cmd". Then navigate to the directory in which they are located (I recommend id1\maps) and when running them from there, you'll be able to read the output.

Thanks, whenever I need to do that manually, I know what what to do now*

Board footer