#1 2016-04-04 11:02:33

NewHouse

What is the best way of dealing with textures when rotating brushes?

Hi!

I'm just wanting to make sure I'm doing things in a right way, so the result satisfy and looks good? good enough? or is it something to do with the personal style?

When rotating brushes for example 15 degrees in Trenchbroom it automatically rotates textures, but if I ever need to manually start calculate angles (which I did), when modifying brushes afterwards. Then increasing or decreasing the degree value change from the default rotation, I can make the textures to match each others specific pixels, but not all of them - because that's how it's. For the eye it looks more or less
depending on the situation, like some one has sliced some pixels. Is it the bad thing or not?

So I'm asking, is there some mathematical theories I have to follow, when ever I rotate textures? Is it well made texture working if for example in stone bridge textures in different angles, they all follows the specific lines "bottom line", "middle line", "top line" etc. It's hard to explain what I'm asking, especially when my english skill aren't that great at all.

Here is the picture and bunch of text trying to explain what I'm struggling.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxYkK … sp=sharing

Everything related to the "professional way of dealing with textures when rotating brushes" can be said, I'm very eager to know more about good architecture, "Quake principals" and so on.

I love to watch Custom Gamer's let's play Quake maps, and I often hear things like - perfectly lined.. what does it mean? When the texturing is perfectly lined, in Quake or in overall?

Last edited by NewHouse (2016-04-04 11:26:05)

#2 2016-04-05 14:36:23

NewHouse

Re: What is the best way of dealing with textures when rotating brushes?

This is rather pointless question, moderators can remove this topic if needed.

#3 2016-04-05 17:26:21

ericw

Hey, welcome!
This forum isn't very active for mapping topics, the place to go is the Mapping Help thread on func_msgboard:
http://celephais.net/board/view_thread. … tart=16347

Sliced pixels: the only real workaround is to use a custom texture that has the whole arch painted on the texture. See the side trim of the arches in this screenshot, it's one continuous texture from ceiling to floor: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/its_demo_v1_1.html

Where you have the yellow "X" marked, it looks like the texture on the left is missing the black stripe. It looks to me like that texture got flipped vertically or otherwise misaligned, aside from the rotation. That could be a bug in TrenchBroom. If you're using 1.x maybe try the 2.0 beta from http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php

#4 2016-04-07 11:37:26

NewHouse

ericw wrote:

Hey, welcome!
This forum isn't very active for mapping topics, the place to go is the Mapping Help thread on func_msgboard:
http://celephais.net/board/view_thread. … tart=16347

Sliced pixels: the only real workaround is to use a custom texture that has the whole arch painted on the texture. See the side trim of the arches in this screenshot, it's one continuous texture from ceiling to floor: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/its_demo_v1_1.html

Where you have the yellow "X" marked, it looks like the texture on the left is missing the black stripe. It looks to me like that texture got flipped vertically or otherwise misaligned, aside from the rotation. That could be a bug in TrenchBroom. If you're using 1.x maybe try the 2.0 beta from http://kristianduske.com/trenchbroom/downloads.php

Thanks~

I'm trying to use different textures, especially if its style (color and all the details) match up with my visions/ideas while mapping.
I don't see much maya-like catacomb textures wich are mixed with blood & skulls. Altar from ad_start.wad was the only one so far (even though I quess it's meant to be used as an "Altar" only thing. I still end up using it quite a lot, even though I think it's not realistic to use it too much - trying to keep it under control. I should find more textures that can be tiled for the larger areas and not use just the fraction of it. Unless it's not the problem if the modern versions of the Quake software (Quakespasm & BSP2) can support that kind of behaviour from my side. I try to find more use for the textures, when thinking about the optimization - minimizing vertice counts and so on.

So far I have been able to run flawlessly my maps on Quakespasm, even though while compiling there pop-ups 2-4 warning errors. I looked up the error messages, but those weren't game breaking or anything; "warning: reached occupant (16 36 24), monster_zombiek" and "warning: No entities in empty space -- no filling performed" when processing hull 1 and 2. But since those doesn't effect to the gameplay at all, should I be worried about it, whenever I upload the map. Is the testing of the map always required in order to find, in which engines etc. or setting my map does and doesn't work.

About the Trenchbroom, it could be a bug and not, by that I mean - when modifying after the rotation which is locked only to 15 degree steps in TB, it tries to keep the texture in same angle. It's programmed that way, and most cases that's exactly how it should work. In rare cases, like in my case I want to manually rotate and fix the vertice points of the brush - and only then this happens. I also tried to use newest version of the TB (version 2 beta), but it couldn't be opened on my computer somehow.

Thanks for your respond.

Edit: sorry my bad english

Last edited by NewHouse (2016-04-07 11:47:39)

#5 2016-04-07 15:34:36

mfx

Hi!

For mayan/actec textures check out these maps.

www.quaddicted.com/reviews/kaahoo1a.html/

www.quaddicted.com/reviews/koohoo.html/

You can use this tool to extract textures from the .bsp files:

www.quaddicted.com/files/tools/bsp2wad.zip/

Concerning your warnings, "reached occupant at x x x" means there is a leak in your map. Try to think of the map as needed to be "watertight", there shouldn't be any holes to the outside void.  You can type "pointfile" into the quakespasm console, a dotted line should appear leading you to the hole.
Try to start quakespasm with -developer 1 on the commandline for testing, there will be warnings printed in the console for you to check.

What is your computer setup exactly? You need this

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download … x?id=5555/

to run TB correctly. Download and install it, and report back!

Happy mapping!

MFX

#6 2016-04-07 22:40:49

NewHouse

mfx wrote:

Hi!

For mayan/actec textures check out these maps.

www.quaddicted.com/reviews/kaahoo1a.html/

www.quaddicted.com/reviews/koohoo.html/

You can use this tool to extract textures from the .bsp files:

www.quaddicted.com/files/tools/bsp2wad.zip/

Concerning your warnings, "reached occupant at x x x" means there is a leak in your map. Try to think of the map as needed to be "watertight", there shouldn't be any holes to the outside void.  You can type "pointfile" into the quakespasm console, a dotted line should appear leading you to the hole.
Try to start quakespasm with -developer 1 on the commandline for testing, there will be warnings printed in the console for you to check.

What is your computer setup exactly? You need this

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download … x?id=5555/

to run TB correctly. Download and install it, and report back!

Happy mapping!

MFX

Hello!

I don't know why, but I managed to run TB2 this time and it looks awesome. About the leaks, I have prepared for that not starting to make the actual map yet, all of my ideas are made as an prefabs in different map files - I will keep fixing and simplifying shapes as much as possible sure* It's reasonable to get some errors especially because in that one test I forget to add skybox and there was indeed a hole. And second case goes for trying to make too complicated shapes ~ messing around with the vertices too much.

I love the fact, vertices works much better in TB2 too as well as the rotation tool. I can now use specific rotation values. I'm not big fan of other views ~ but I'm sure sooner or later they became handy too.

I have to look at those textures, maybe those are something I has been looking for. Just today figured out that there is so much different wad files linked, it takes some time to go through all of them. Also I would like to find pure wood texture I can use for abstract looking trees.

Thanks for your respond & happy mapping for you too!
It's summer soon the best time for mapping~

NewHouse~

Last edited by NewHouse (2016-04-07 22:50:56)

#7 2016-04-08 15:54:29

mfx

Hmm, just checked the links i made, you need to remove the last / on those to work, i can't be bothered to cope with the stupid BBCode here.

#8 2016-04-08 20:33:03

NewHouse

mfx wrote:

Hmm, just checked the links i made, you need to remove the last / on those to work, i can't be bothered to cope with the stupid BBCode here.

Thx, noticed*

#9 2016-09-04 00:16:20

bfg666

The "no entities in empty space" warning occurs when you have an entity placed in the void. It happened to me when I built a brasero in the void, complete with the flame, to use as prefab. When I removed the flame the warning disappeared.

What's your native language? I'm french.

Last edited by bfg666 (2016-09-04 00:24:48)

Board footer