#1 2019-07-12 02:41:14

tripppy

Cross Platform Quake

Hello
I found this site while hunting down Quake Wii homebrew files. (love the file archives)

I'm planning a retro Quake LAN day in my house.

Awhile ago I was playing Quake for DS on my local network, I had PC server/client running quake, two Nintendo DS's running quake and two Xbox originals all running quake and connecting to the PC server.

That was over 10 years ago, now im starting it up again with more variations.

Currently I have XBOX, android (VR), Wii, linux (server), Nintendo DS & MAC OSX running but not all connecting.

The wii client, which I have tried several versions, found in these archives and from other locations will run, gets a IP address but won't connect to the local server. I've checked the usuals, ping, port etc. But im a bit lost to where to look for more debugging.

When trying to connect from my WII or OSX client, it says trying 3 times then fails.

I have got the android (VR) client and a windows client connecting successfully to the LINUX server.

Is there a tool or something i can use to see whats causing the errors/fails?

#2 2019-07-13 00:17:51

dumptruck_ds

Re: Cross Platform Quake

Stab in the dark but did you try adding the port to the connect command? like connect 192.168.0.5:26000

you can type status in the console on the server to see what port is enabled.

And... can I come over to play?  :)

Last edited by dumptruck_ds (2019-07-13 00:18:09)

#3 2019-07-13 09:16:19

Spirit
Administrator

QW or NetQuake?

Run some network packet analyzer on your server to see if the clients actually reach it. If they do, check where they try to connect to.

#4 2019-07-17 00:07:21

tripppy

on my linux server i've got two different versions of quake installed.

1. darkplaces: which is how i was able to connect from winPC and a android client.
2. quake-server: which i haven't been able to connect from anything

from macosx running a qw client. i get an error connecting to the quake-server, getting the reply, "challenge" a few times, then
"info string length exceeded"

I have specified each time when connecting to use the port number from the ~command line.

I think I will need to find the best client port to run on all devices.

I still haven't tried recently my XBOX1 client and my Nintendo DS clients. (which i will in the next week)

Ideally i want to use the linux server as the quake server. but if i have no choice i will run it on windows. :( (which i will try when i have all clients on same network)

Dumptruck, I'm in brisbane Australia. yes you can come!
Spirit, I will use wireshark as last resort - Ive never had much luck using it.

#5 2020-07-04 13:29:38

tripppy

I'm getting there. I've got the Xbox og and Android vr clients connecting.
DSi next.
Has anyone got luck running on Wii or on PS3?

Board footer