#1 2020-02-26 23:55:21

mastema88
Banned

Looking to make a level selection hub in Quark

Hello, for a few of the awesome map jams on here, I want to create a level selection hub a la Arcane Dimensions (but VERY, VERY simple, as in, 8-12 portals just standing in a room and when you move close to them you get a text prompt telling you which map you're about to changelevel to.
I know quake injector exists but I'd rather do it this way.

I have Quark and have the physical aspects of the map set up - the room and the archways with portals are all there, but i have no idea how to apply the changelevel entity to the portals.. and I'm guessing that the trigger_secret function is what shows the on screen text alerts but I don't know. I know nothing about this stuff, am flying completely blind. I made a map for Half Life some 20 years ago but nothing since then. Help is appreciated, thank you.

#2 2020-02-27 11:40:43

Madfox

Re: Looking to make a level selection hub in Quark

Hey mastema88.
That is an obvious attempt but possible. Just remember it isn't just like a levelchange to another map.
You are standing in a start map > go to another map > end the level with another changelevel > to start.
There are some things involved like the func_episodegate and func_bossgate, which are no commen argues in Quark.
This is the thing that makes up the Rune gathering and opening the end gate.

But for simple things like a hubmap with different teleporters it doesn't seem that hard.
I once made one for my own mission pack, and it was more complex than I thought.
Here is an example map, if you have any questions, ask again.

http://home.kpn.nl/lo2kf8/quake/maps/hubmap.zip

#3 2020-02-27 13:11:16

mastema88
Banned

Thank you!

#4 2020-02-28 20:20:51

Madfox

It could be a good idea to find out how ID1 did it with the hub from the start.map.

http://home.kpn.nl/lo2kf8/quake/maps/OR … _START.zip

Board footer