#1 2020-02-25 17:50:52

nuclearballs1

Using DirectQ with windows 8 or 10

Does anyone here have Q1 experience with a later DirectQ version and Directx9, using the windows 8 and/or 10 platform? I know this is very stable in windows 7 pro, but since 8 and 10 came out after they stopped developing DirectQ, I have no clue as to this combo. Also, this may need Directx10 instead of 9 to function.  Any feedback here is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2020-03-25 21:31:54

huanlopan

Re: Using DirectQ with windows 8 or 10

I got my version from a mega link quite some time ago, and it works on my Windows 10 PC nearly flawlessly.

#3 2020-03-26 13:54:49

Hal

Windows 10 supports DirectX 9 out of the box and it works just fine. There was a DirectQ 2.0 test build that uses DirectX 11 but it was unstable.

DirectQ works fine but a word of warning if you're using multiple extended displays. Make sure you disconnect all except your primary display because it can get stuck on a black screen with no way of getting out of it even if you CTRL+ALT+DEL or ALT-F4. If it gets stuck, physically unplugging any secondary monitors can usually knock the display back to normal. This has happened with 3 separate computers running Windows 10 and multiple monitors.

Not sure if that's a problem with Win7 though.

#4 2020-03-27 03:29:45

nuclearballs1

Thanks for the input. I know Quakespasm seems to be the most stable platform that supports the Omicron bots, and would almost certainly work well with Windows  8 or 10. It won't work as a server due to it's poor packet handling, in internet multiplayer. DirectQ has a good packet handling routine, supports the Omicrons, and now I have some confirmation that it will also work with Windows 10. It appears that the ideal scenario is a DirectQ server, and Quakespasm "joiners," if the Omicron bots option is used. I am experimenting with DirectQ 1.9. I read that 1.8.8 is the most stable build. I appreciate the replies!

#5 2023-02-06 07:14:16

Spirit
Administrator

Update: Two posts were removed above because they were just spammers.

If the two posts above look iffy to you too, there are strong indicators that this is the new kind of algorithm generated spam that will ruin the internet for a while. Both users have a username1234@yahoo mail address and registered from the same Russian IP space. Probably going to edit their posts to include spam later.

Guys, if you exist, you have three days to clearly and unmistakably prove yourself as humans.

Last edited by Spirit (2023-02-12 21:30:03)

#6 2023-02-06 11:56:15

Spirit
Administrator

As expected, the second one now had a link edited in. Pewpew, dead and gone.

Board footer