#1 2020-10-08 21:31:45

guitardz

Whatever happened to the Quake Awards site?

Site seems to have been down for some time.  I wanted to use it as a resource to find some good maps to play.  Are there any other good resources to find what are considered the "Best of the Best" maps available for Quake?

#2 2020-10-08 22:11:39

fairweather

Re: Whatever happened to the Quake Awards site?

Not really, I was planning on writing something up for the end of the year. Not exactly a recommendations list but more of a "This is everything cool the community has done this year, and some of my favorites." sort of thing.
As for the site, I'm not sure. The people who were doing it either stopped playing Quake or stopped doing every release, so it kinda obsoleted itself anyways.
If you'd like, I could give you a shortlist of what I think are the best projects to come out this year, I feel like I am pretty fair in what's quality.

#3 2020-10-08 22:21:22

guitardz

fairweather wrote:

Not really, I was planning on writing something up for the end of the year. Not exactly a recommendations list but more of a "This is everything cool the community has done this year, and some of my favorites." sort of thing.
As for the site, I'm not sure. The people who were doing it either stopped playing Quake or stopped doing every release, so it kinda obsoleted itself anyways.
If you'd like, I could give you a shortlist of what I think are the best projects to come out this year, I feel like I am pretty fair in what's quality.

Absolutely, I am still pretty new to Q1 single player content and would love to have a good list of content to give a shot.  So far I've pretty much limited myself to things made for the Arcane Dimensions mod because beyond that I don't really know how to gauge things here yet.  I've seen a few cool looking maps popping up on twitter like Dwell and Raven Keep that I plan to try soon as well.

#4 2020-10-08 23:19:02

Lane Powell

I made a list over on my rateyourmusic account where I talk about my favorite mappers and mods.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/spanking … -and-mods/

#5 2020-10-08 23:25:10

onetruepurple
Banned

guitardz wrote:

Site seems to have been down for some time.  I wanted to use it as a resource to find some good maps to play.

It's dead. Low energy project. Sad!

#6 2020-10-08 23:25:32

guitardz

Lane Powell wrote:

I made a list over on my rateyourmusic account where I talk about my favorite mappers and mods.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/spanking … -and-mods/

Nice!  Taking a look :)

#7 2020-10-08 23:25:56

fairweather

Alright, here's a list of my 5 favorite maps, or at least the projects I'd recommend as essential Q1SP goodness (that you've not already played). Excluding Dwell cause I can't be fair about that shit!

1. Grendels Blade by Sock
An AD map made by the project lead, and it shows. A serious show of craftsmanship, perfect gameplay, perfect execution of the runic/metal theme and a tough one on higher difficulties.

2. Underdark Overbright by Lunaran, Scampie
A very "meat and potatoes" Quake experience in the best way possible. Takes a lot of concepts and runs with them, creating very fresh feeling levels out of the old bones of Vanilla with the refinement mod Copper. Big personal inspiration for my own designs.

3. Xmas Jam 2018 by Various Authors
While the other Xmas Jam packs are definitely worth checking out, nothing will ever beat 2018 in my eyes. It starts off with an amazing start map by Bal, and then is nothing but bangers all the way up to the top level where all of the best maps hide. Calling out favorites is a fools errand, almost every single level will blow you away.

4. Func Map Jam 9 - Contract Revoked by Various Authors
A very varied pack, but the maps that hit will absolutely floor you. AD-esque giant, intricately detailed levels all using the Knave theme, and Quoth monsters. Must-Plays are Skacky, Pulsar, Secret, Giftmacher, Breezeep and Ionous. The rest range from good to meh.

5. Rubicon Rumble Pack by Mfx, Ijed, Hrimfaxi
Many custom monsters (a lot of which found their way into AD) extremely large maps (one rivaling Sepulcher!) and a load of amazing architecture.

Last edited by fairweather (2020-10-08 23:28:12)

#8 2020-10-08 23:27:17

onetruepurple
Banned

guitardz wrote:

Are there any other good resources to find what are considered the "Best of the Best" maps available for Quake?

If you're interested in some older titles, try this: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/?fil … f-the-week

#9 2020-10-08 23:29:32

onetruepurple
Banned

#10 2020-10-08 23:31:20

onetruepurple
Banned

Also, (sorry for the triple post) I made my personal list too, sometime ago: https://pastebin.com/raw/LpKr4vB0

I've gone off Menk in a big way since creating the list, though. I'd replace it with dm6rmx by than.

Last edited by onetruepurple (2020-10-08 23:32:04)

#11 2020-10-08 23:33:55

guitardz

Thank you guys, there is already enough here to keep me busy for a while, bit feel free to keep adding to the list :)

#12 2020-10-09 03:44:36

erc

This may be ancient history but here is a snapshot of my humble booth back from QExpo 2008. The four lists within are my personal favourites / picks from 1996 up to 2008. It may serve you as pointers: you can read more about any of them through Quaddicted archives.

#13 2020-10-09 03:50:47

Anoobis

I don't necessarily recommend sorting by 1 star maps but you may be surprised how poorly some people rate maps if you play some of the 2 star maps and like them. Or you may dislike them. It depends.

#14 2020-10-09 11:15:58

Spirit
Administrator

#15 2020-10-13 00:10:40

guitardz

Thanks, Spirit :)

Board footer