#1 2019-10-31 13:02:53

Innsmouthian

Original water distortion effect? (hello everybody)

Hello everybody,

I'm a Quake 1 player since I discovered its shareware version in a PC magazine my father bought when we had our first Pentium computer (although for some years I had to play it underground because it was 'too violent' -well it is- for a kid).

Through the years I've been replaying the original Quake and its expansion packs time after time, but it hasn't been until recently that I've found this website and its GREAT Quake Injector tool, which has brought me hours of fresh gameplay and shocking discoveries as Arcane Dimensions and other very high-quality maps, even cheering me up to try and draft my own maps, following dumptruck videos on YouTube.

I've been playing in Darkplaces until I learnt about Quakespasm, which is the one I use now as it reminds me more than other to the original Quake 'feeling' (setting gl_texturemode to '1'). But the other day I just launched Quake directly and rawly from Steam -I guess it was WinQuake- and played e1m1 for the good old times, and found there's a feature -despite all the advantages- that's missing (or I haven't found) in recent engines: the original underwater distortion effect, that made world look bulky and shaky. And I realized I've been missing it all this time.

I read it has something to do with low resolutions, making it difficult to render in higher ones. But I bet there is some way (a patch, a console code...) to emulate it accurately in any of the current Quake engines.

Can anybody help me with this?

Anyways, thanks and demonic respects!

Last edited by Innsmouthian (2019-10-31 13:06:30)

#2 2019-10-31 14:38:17

Spirit
Administrator

Re: Original water distortion effect? (hello everybody)

FTEQW does it, I am sure. :)

#3 2019-10-31 17:12:55

Innsmouthian

Spirit wrote:

FTEQW does it, I am sure. :)

Sure, I just tried it and after a while to get familiar with the interface it seems to work nicely. Now underwater feels exactly the same as in the original game!

I would say I've heard users majorly suggesting Quakespasm as the best option available now, but a bit of research told me FTE may be prefered by the insiders. If I miss something of Quakespasm now is its 'simplicity'.

Thank you very much!

#4 2019-10-31 18:22:03

Hal

Well, vkQuake is a Vulkan port of Quakespasm and it has the software underwater effect you're talking about plus it's the same as Quakespasm. Just make sure you have a newer video card that supports it.

https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases

#5 2019-11-01 13:53:42

Innsmouthian

Hal wrote:

Well, vkQuake is a Vulkan port of Quakespasm and it has the software underwater effect you're talking about plus it's the same as Quakespasm. Just make sure you have a newer video card that supports it.

https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases

Tried and think I'm going to stick to it, as I'm not really taking advantage of all the fancy graphical improvements FTE includes. Thank you!

Last edited by Innsmouthian (2019-11-01 13:56:54)

#6 2020-01-06 19:16:50

Jugador

Any chance to get the water distortion effect on QuakeSpasm or any other "mainstream" engine?

#7 2020-06-20 13:40:07

Victor

MarkV also has it, AFAIK

#8 2020-10-14 04:11:47

Mugwump

Jugador wrote:

Any chance to get the water distortion effect on QuakeSpasm or any other "mainstream" engine?

As the previous poster mentioned, MarkV has it. Its dev has quit the community (hopefully only temporarily), but it works. Also has a cool ffwd/rewind feature for demo playback (the only engine that does it AFAIK), if you like to watch demos, and other useful stuff for mappers.
QS is not really worked on these days with EricW focusing on Trenchbroom development, so don't expect it to be implemented any time soon. Also I asked a few years ago and it wasn't on the to-do list.
QSS sticks to refining/enhancing QS, so same as above.
And Darkplaces isn't updated anymore.

So basically, your only options are FTE, MarkV and vkQ, and possibly some other outdated and/or less popular engines.

Last edited by Mugwump (2020-10-14 04:25:08)

#9 2020-10-14 13:01:15

Hipnotic Rogue

I really hope that it does end up in QSS as it seems to me to be the de facto successor to the original Quakespasm.  It's still being updated regularly and most recent releases recommend using QSS.  It's one of the OG Quake things that I miss the most.  It just doesn't feel the same without it!

Board footer