#51 2020-10-27 11:48:40

Leo(T.C.K.)

Re: Quake Alpha Version from 1995 ??

Someone makes a claim and you want to see the actual data supporting the claim and that is bullshit? I'm sorry but this won't fly with me.

EDIT: What I mean  (apparently some people dont get what I mean) is that "someone else wants to see the data supporting such claim" and wanting that equals bullshit?

Zeur also says that what was reconstructed could have been a trap laid, the real entry point could have been elsewhere like in a pyramid.

Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) (2020-10-27 12:10:06)

#52 2020-10-27 14:02:20

Idea!

Having looked at the disassembled C code and poked around a disassembly myself, QUAKE.EXE isn't doing anything meaningful with the data in quake.lvm other than reading some random parts of the file and doing nothing with the result. The NETCONFIG program seems to write garbage to netv.cfg so nothing quake-related there.

quake.lvm contains garbage also, no strings/assets/gamedata inside it whatsoever. Unfortunately, it seems this might not be real, or some hoax created by ID at best.

Someone could tweet at Carmack/Romero I suppose?

#53 2020-10-27 14:14:07

Leo(T.C.K.)

It could have been a trap set by iD or the thing does contain different entry point that results in something else.

I am not against asking them, that would hopefuly clear things out.

Zeur points out that the epistemological problem here is that when confronted with a bucket of seemingly random bits, without context you can't really tell for sure if those bits are really random.

But also there was a shadow warrior beta with dongles/cryptography etc, so it might be something like this. At this day and age though developers often misremember things. I don't do twitter though.

But as I keep saying what is in the strings including that trident and the nfo description would match acidglow's old story. I am not in contact with him anymore it was on irc, but I am sure he would remember.

My original hunch was try it with BW Utils and such, but I wasn't able to install them for use with dosbox unfortunately. As even the MS Dos Quake (and don't forget it was originally developed on unix) requires BW Utils for TCP/IP on MS Dos.

EDIT: There are programs that still write binary data to config files, I can name several emulators from the MS Dos era and even some modern ones do. Zeur finds this situation damn odd.

The config file might even be encrypted with asymmetric encryption with a public key.

EDIT2: Did anyone decompile the netconfig program?

Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) (2020-10-27 14:50:26)

#54 2020-10-27 15:59:28

Idea!

A few strings extracted from NETCONFG.exe, nothing substantial unfortunately:

wb.netv.cfg
Not enough memory to allocate file structures
Quake net config file
stack Overflow!

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote:

EDIT2: Did anyone decompile the netconfig program?

Working on it.

#55 2020-10-27 16:13:21

Leo(T.C.K.)

zeurkous here, Leo_TCK is afk, posting w/ permission.

"wb" -> little-endian "B[eame]W[hiteside]" :?

edit: do B&W interrupt swervices return 'b', 'w' in registers for an installation check? (me's read parts of RBIL and such seems to be common).

Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) (2020-10-27 16:20:16)

#56 2020-10-27 16:23:04

dwere

Sounds like a pretty lazy way to do sockpuppets, IMO.

#57 2020-10-27 16:29:31

Leo(T.C.K.)

zeur here still :)

We live together. Leo is me mate (as in, mating). Can we get back on-topic now?

#58 2020-10-27 16:32:43

Idea!

Oh this isn't the first time this has happened. Leo does this on other forums - Some of which he has been banned from, BetaArchive soon to be the latest added to that list as he cannot accept being told he is incorrect and just attacks people. it's clear that zeurkous/leo are one and the same person/sockpuppet account

#59 2020-10-27 16:33:37

dwere

I'm actually surprised that I'm yet to be insulted here, considering that the word "jerks" featured as early as the top of the second page.

#60 2020-10-27 16:39:24

Leo(T.C.K.)

zeur here *sigh*

Do people really need to see our dick^Wbutt^Wfaces to see that we aren't the same person? Or won't you believe a picture either? Will you just keep sprouting these conspiracy theories no matter what?

The last luser who kept pestering others with the delusion that Leo and me and one and the same, well, he got a nice pacifier. Be warned.

Now, pretty pretty please, let's get back on topic?

#61 2020-10-27 16:46:35

dwere

No, it's too scary to be here now.

#62 2020-10-27 16:50:00

hogsy

Will you just keep sprouting these conspiracy theories no matter what?

Oh the irony...

EarnestOrderlyFantail-size_restricted.gif

#63 2020-10-27 16:54:08

Leo(T.C.K.)

<zeurkous> yes, exactly, the irony. 'nuff said.

#64 2020-10-27 17:15:35

dwere

Is this person actually legit in regards to Unreal stuff? This looks more and more like a mediocre trolling attempt, but maybe they're a genuinely misunderstood enthusiast with underdeveloped social skills.

Last edited by dwere (2020-10-27 17:34:20)

#65 2020-10-27 17:28:54

Leo(T.C.K.)

<zeurkous> he's the real thing :)
<zeurkous> which means that unlike *some* *people*, he actually cares more about unconvering the truth than about random lusers' fragile little egos
<zeurkous> he can off the trolley sometimes, but only when he's being messed w/, so it's kind of understandable
<zeurkous> me actually tends to advise him against going to forums like these, since all too often, they're run by egomaniacs and patrolled by syncophants
<zeurkous> and indeed, infested by "people" who can't tell their arse from their mouth and blame everyone but themselves for it
<zeurkous> if you're interested in honest discussion: we're available
<zeurkous> but what do you folks do? respond to a technical observation w/ a ton of personal attacks
<zeurkous> who're the bloody trolls here?

#66 2020-10-27 17:31:27

dwere

I'd rather ask someone impartial here, but thanks.

#67 2020-10-27 17:34:10

hogsy

Is this person actually legit it regards to Unreal stuff?

Legit as far as getting in touch with developers, tracking prototypes down and releasing them to the public. That in itself is a great service towards preservation, and he certainly deserves respect for that much.

maybe they're a genuinely misunderstood enthusiast with underdeveloped social skills.

Unfortunately pretty much that, and some serious psychological issues. It wasn't that long ego he was making claims the government in his country were out to personally get him and throw him in prison.

Or when he was spamming me his nutty conspiracy theories on Covid for some reason. I don't really appreciate being told my loved ones are basically fucked :)

There's a lot more that could be said, which aren't going to slide on this forum, but I think he clearly speaks for himself.

#68 2020-10-27 17:36:47

Leo(T.C.K.)

<zeurkous> it'd be great if some impartial people would join this thread
<zeurkous> it's too full of bias
<zeurkous> let me be clear: that "wb" -> "B&W" idea of mine is just a hunch (it was me who advised Leo to try and get hold of B&W stuff, a while ago)
<zeurkous> but medoes believe it deserves investigation, hence meposted it :)

#69 2020-10-27 17:54:37

Leo(T.C.K.)

<zeurkous> hogsy: cut it out, you know it didn't happen that way
<zeurkous> and as for the government being out to get him: certain people in that government are, yes
<zeurkous> he's been tortured, for fscks sake!
<zeurkous> the most helpless period in both our lives
<zeurkous> mewas at the "trial", a sham proceeding that came right out of a kafka book, except that it was real
<zeurkous> leo was in a horrible shape after what he had endured, and they refused to call in a doctor
<zeurkous> "testimony" from witnesses {accepted,rejected} based on the whims of the judge
<zeurkous> a "lawyer" that was forcibly assigned to him that acted like it was still 1977
<zeurkous> instead of preparing the case papers, he read the "rude pravo" (the czech pravda) in the middle of the court hall to make clear he was loyal
<zeurkous> journalists chickening out the moment they heard the details of the "case"
<zeurkous> now, there's a lot more to say, but mewon't bother you folks w/ it
<zeurkous> one thing's for very sure, though: it was real
<zeurkous> by $DEITY mewishes it was a bad dream or something
<zeurkous> and they're stil looking for a legal excuse to do it all over again
<zeurkous> oh, and to anyone not liking me posting this here: hogsy should've kept his muzzle shut about these private affiars
<zeurkous> but now he's trying to use it against Leo, memight as well tell the story
<zeurkous> and unlike hogsy: leo's not on meds that eat his mind
<zeurkous> leo's psychological "issues"[0] stem from the simple fact that he can't stand all these DSWs, which we do realize are a normal, accepted part of primate society
<zeurkous> so there :)

[0] He has an official paper from a shrink that there's nothing wrong with his mind, complete w/ one of those fancy stamps that all kinds of "authorities" in this part of .eu have. It's in Bohemian, but for the unbelievers, we *could* upload a pic...

EDIT: sry, should've edited me prev post
EDIT^2: +footnote

Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) (2020-10-27 18:10:06)

#70 2020-10-27 18:11:56

dwere

Speaking of conspiracy theories, wouldn't it be funny if me and Spirit turned out to be the only real people on the last two pages?

#71 2020-10-27 18:20:34

Leo(T.C.K.)

<zeurkous> who says *you* are real? :D
<zeurkous> it's all fake! the world! the universe! none of us exist!
<zeurkous> (seriously: "prove that I exist" is a classic philosophical exercise, with no clear resolution)

Last edited by Leo(T.C.K.) (2020-10-27 18:29:36)

#72 2020-10-27 19:45:20

fairweather

Reading this is like reading the insane ramblings of someone who just smacked a whole baggie of bath salts. Get help.

#73 2020-10-27 20:09:10

Spirit
Administrator

I am known to be a quite restrictive admin, trying to keep a decent level of decency on this site and I have no reason to let this nonsense go on.

Leo, stay on focus and feel free to document your progress.

Everyone else, stop feeding the drama.

#74 2020-10-27 20:35:36

Leo(T.C.K.)

Well since "Idea" hasn't posted his decompilation and since there was a hint to the BW Utils in the strings as pointed by zeur things went towards drama, there's not much I can do on my side alone, except trying to run it in another setup and with BW Utils. But there might be a lack of documentation in the version I got, I wasn't able to install it even within dosbox last I tried but perhaps zeur can help out with this and eventually we could try to decompile too, its just obviously now there are many other worries around, especially RL. I'll do my best since I guess I won't get a support from these guys anyways.

#75 2023-08-21 11:28:11

The Wanderer

Hi, i found this forum when i was looking for early Quake releases. I was excited at first to find some infos, but then i had to realize that this thread quickly turned into an unpleasant discussion.

Anyway, i'd like to put my two cents.

Did you read this sentence in the NFO? It's the main reason why i think that these files could be legit.

FluxBB bbcode test

Does really no one remember this Quake demo?
What kind of Quake fans are you?
Well, obviously very young ones.
So, take a seat and listen to grampa telling you a stroy from the war. ;-)

THERE WAS A RELEASE OF A VERY EARLY TECH DEMO OF QUAKE THAT WAS SPREAD OVER THE INTERNET!

I can't confirm that it was the one we have here, but i know what i've seen back then.
It's been about 28 years now and i can't remember every detail, but what i know is, that there was a typical gothic-castle-style Quake level. You could walk around and see the environment. There where several monsters placed in the level. They did nothing but standing around. At least i remember seeing a knight and a spawn. Maybe they had some kind of idle animation.

I don't know for what purpose this demo was build. Today i would say it looked like something they made for a pitch or something.

About the issues getting this release to run.
First i have to say that i'm not in software programming in any way. I have no clue about code disassambling, reverse engineering or what else. Nonetheless, I noticed a few things.

Running the game with a file netv.cfg present seems to be impossible on today's PCs during missed obsolete network drivers. If you don't set any network parameters (just delete netv.cfg) you just get a message that net mode is disabled. That shouldn't prevent the game from starting. I can't remember any network stuff in the demo, but i had only one PC and no network at this time.

FluxBB bbcode test

About the VFX message: During  the developement of Quake, a collaboration with an undisclosed VR headset manufacturer was planned. Maybe this demo can be run on a VFX1 headset or the message is just a relic left over from development.

After starting quake.exe you see the loading screen shown above, then the flashing floppy disk icon, then just a black screen. But DOSBox neither crashed nor does nothing. Just check the CPU load, there is something running. At my PC the load is around 20 percent, just about the same as qtest.

I really wonder why this demo obviously has been erased from the history of Quake. I wasn't able find any information about it. I mean, it was probably the first time that people could run a small excerpt of this groundbreaking game on their computers.

Have a good day all.

Board footer