#1 2020-12-26 17:02:23

brfld

Maps that are good speedruns.

Hello! o/ I'm brainfluid and I'm a Quake speedrunner.

Our sourceport (JoeQuake) has recently gotten support for BSP2, protocol 666, aswell as 999. This means that we've started to scout for newer maps to run. I've scouted a bit myself and I have compiled a list of maps that are of good speedrun quality in case you're after the same thing as I am.

JoeQuake still has some performance issues on very large/complex maps, so I will not include maps that run poorly, but I will not say either good nor bad about them as it's most likely a JoeQuake issue and not an issue with the map itself.

I will add to the list as I find more maps that I find suitable for this purpose. Do not be offended in case I did not add your map, I use different metrics to determine if a map is a good run, and not just a good "casual" experience. This list is also highly subjective as it's based entirely on my taste of what a good run should be.

I have not tested Easy/Nightmare 100% nor Nightmare Run as I'm mostly experienced with Easy Run and I don't really trust my own judgement on the other categories.

Maps coming from packs will be marked with the name of the pack. A mark with (??) is a map I'm unsure of but seems cool.

If you have suggestions on maps, feel free to post em as a comment and I will probably check them out. Chances are that I already have checked some of them out but ended up not liking 'em personally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1916_v2
autumn_sp
sincinch
snaut-acidtrip
kustok (Missing enemies??)
ou
ad_shamsp4
nar_cat
finally
e3m2_zungryware2 (quoffee map pack)
e3m10_ionous1 (quoffee)
e4m20_ionous3 (quoffee)
ghspc01
heresp5
dm4jam_ionous (dm4jam pack)
dm4jam_themusic (dm4jam pack)
dm4jam_digs (dm4jam pack, digs<3)
dm4jam_rj (??)
qbb1_coce (fog 0 recommended) (qbb1 pack)
qbb1_greenwood (??) (qbb1 pack)
qbb1_nolcoz (qbb1 pack)
qbb1_rhoq (??) (qbb1 pack)
sm208_beep (sm208 pack)
sm208_ionous (??) (sm208 pack)
sm208_jcr (sm208 pack)

#2 2020-12-27 06:51:01

fairweather

Re: Maps that are good speedruns.

Dwell maps were pretty extensively tested for speedrunning. D1M2, D1M4 and D1M8 being insane speedruns. I did some myself and had a lot of fun, but they're brutally hard for any%. Check it out.

#3 2020-12-27 16:53:59

Cocerello

Interesting list and that you chose that map of mine for speedrunning, as i thought that whiile it can be done speedrunning and has shortcuts, those are obvious and there is no interesting jumps or situations. What made you chose it? I'm curious.
What i won't recommend is to turn off the fog, the map becomes lame that way.

I do not remember seeing more people trying to speedrun any of my maps, except the one i made for sm173, but it is very short that way. Orbs does a good job with the grenade on that one on the demo he uploaded on Func. If i think about it, my maps are not much suitable for speedrunning to begin with. I have seen people trying to do something similar to speedruning, by accident, on my maps for mapjam2 and sm181 but it went bad quickly.

#4 2020-12-28 23:59:10

brfld

fairweather wrote:

Dwell maps were pretty extensively tested for speedrunning. D1M2, D1M4 and D1M8 being insane speedruns. I did some myself and had a lot of fun, but they're brutally hard for any%. Check it out.

For sure. Dwell look like cool runs but they're a bit too Hexen 2-esque for me, but I'm sure a lot of people in the speedrunning community would love them :)

I didn't include them because of this and they're already routed.

Last edited by brfld (2020-12-29 00:29:09)

#5 2020-12-29 00:00:40

brfld

Cocerello wrote:

Interesting list and that you chose that map of mine for speedrunning, as i thought that whiile it can be done speedrunning and has shortcuts, those are obvious and there is no interesting jumps or situations. What made you chose it? I'm curious.
What i won't recommend is to turn off the fog, the map becomes lame that way.

I do not remember seeing more people trying to speedrun any of my maps, except the one i made for sm173, but it is very short that way. Orbs does a good job with the grenade on that one on the demo he uploaded on Func. If i think about it, my maps are not much suitable for speedrunning to begin with. I have seen people trying to do something similar to speedruning, by accident, on my maps for mapjam2 and sm181 but it went bad quickly.

It's a simple map but it's actually quite hard to get a very good time on. I like the relatively simple route but with challenging movement. There's nothing too annoying about it either.

#6 2020-12-30 14:04:03

h4724

brfld wrote:
fairweather wrote:

For sure. Dwell look like cool runs but they're a bit too Hexen 2-esque for me, but I'm sure a lot of people in the speedrunning community would love them :)

I don't understand this comment at all. Is it the runs that are "Hexen 2-esque" or the mod itself? Either way, I don't see why those things would be comparable at all. Also, isn't every map that isn't extremely nonlinear "already routed," except for any undiscovered skips? Not sure why that would disqualify a map...

#7 2020-12-31 07:52:29

brfld

h4724 wrote:
brfld wrote:
fairweather wrote:

I don't understand this comment at all. Is it the runs that are "Hexen 2-esque" or the mod itself? Either way, I don't see why those things would be comparable at all. Also, isn't every map that isn't extremely nonlinear "already routed," except for any undiscovered skips? Not sure why that would disqualify a map...

I probably worded that poorly.

Both run and map, as the run depends on the map. I don't really fancy runs that are too back and forth all the time. I don't include runs I'm not interested in, that's the main reason why Dwell isn't included.

It's also already been ran aswell, I knew this already, hence why I did not attempt to run it myself.

Board footer