#1 2021-01-22 20:05:12

Velouria

Questions about the Quakespasm source port

Hi everyone, I'm new so I'm doing this both to introduce myself and to ask some questions about Quakespasm since I'm running into a couple of issues

So anyways, I'm just starting to get into Quake after a lifetime of playing Doom. I'm not up to date on "modern games" or gaming in general but I started getting curious about Quake after seeing Ahoy's YouTube video about it. I'm into EDM, house, drum and bass and some alt stuff from the 90's.

So my first question is (and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this) when I launch Quakespasm in fullscreen mode I get this black bar on top that takes up half of my screen and the game runs in the bottom half, but cropped. This is fixed by going into the video options and turning on (or off it it was already on) the vertical scan option. While it's a solution I was wondering if there's a way to fix this problem at launch.

My other question has to do with mouse look. Whenever I start playing, I move my mouse and the camera immediately points down. Is this supposed to be normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using macOS as well at 5120 x 2880 resoltuion, just in case it has anything to do with it.

Nice to meet y'all!

#2 2021-01-23 11:26:57

h4724

Re: Questions about the Quakespasm source port

I haven't encountered either of those issues before, so they're definitely not normal (on Windows at least.) I suppose launching with -width 5120 -height 2880 might solve your first problem.

#3 2021-01-25 17:54:55

Velouria

I've done that, but to no avail. I'm considering trying other source ports at this point.

#4 2021-01-26 08:10:50

Spirit
Administrator

Try FTEQW, it can handle very high resolution easily.

#5 2021-01-31 23:46:26

ericw

Try setting the cvar "vid_desktopfullscreen 1" (you can enter "+vid_desktopfullscreen 1" in the QS launcher's command line arguments box); this will prevent it from trying to change fullscreen modes and I think it'll fix this.

On my system (macOS 10.15.7, Quakespasm 0.93.2, running QuakeSpasm-SDL2.app) regular fullscreen is broken (draws half off screen) but "vid_desktopfullscreen 1" works.

Also try both QuakeSpasm-SDL2.app and QuakeSpasm.app (older version of SDL: SDL1.2). In theory the -SDL2.app is more likely to work but sometimes the older one will bypass bugs like this.

#6 2021-02-02 16:52:15

Velouria

ericw wrote:

Try setting the cvar "vid_desktopfullscreen 1" (you can enter "+vid_desktopfullscreen 1" in the QS launcher's command line arguments box); this will prevent it from trying to change fullscreen modes and I think it'll fix this.

On my system (macOS 10.15.7, Quakespasm 0.93.2, running QuakeSpasm-SDL2.app) regular fullscreen is broken (draws half off screen) but "vid_desktopfullscreen 1" works.

Also try both QuakeSpasm-SDL2.app and QuakeSpasm.app (older version of SDL: SDL1.2). In theory the -SDL2.app is more likely to work but sometimes the older one will bypass bugs like this.

Will try this as soon as I get home, thanks!

#7 2021-02-07 17:33:32

OleBumma

is mouse look even "on" in the Options setting? set it to "on".

if that one ain't making a difference, then create an autoexec.cfg under the ID1 folder (just create a new file and label it that way, the file extension has to be .cfg and not anything else), or if you have one already just open it in a text editor, add the string "+mlook" and save it. try to run the game with those edits.

if the problem persists, just try a different build of the Quakespasm source port and make sure you grab one made for your opetaring system.
I got hold of version 0.93.2 win 64 and I haven't ran through the mouse issue. it's somethin I ran through with different Quake game engines tho (ioQuake 3 source port specifically) and what solved it for me was gettin hold of a totally different build release.

Last edited by OleBumma (2021-02-07 17:42:51)

#8 2021-05-28 02:12:41

Evan

About the view immediately looking down.  This is not common, but it certainly can affect some systems... If you are using Synergy to share a mouse/keyboard between two computers, it can cause that very problem.  On a PC, you need to get the mouse onto the correct computer and then press SCROLL LOCK, there must be some equivalent for Macs.

#9 2021-06-19 16:46:33

Gila

I have been playing recently and using latest build of QSS x64. And what I noticed is a very annoying stutter for a couple of seconds when during gameplay I press F2 or F3. The game halts, and the sound does the "choke" repeating thing during this time, then the game unfreezes. This is really weird and I don't know what is causing it. This laptop is way more than enough to play even biggest excessive maps like Tears of False God, etc.. No problems with FPS either.

This also happens when using 'regular' Quakespasm. I have them both set up the same way (I dont' use any of the "hi-res enhancements" so that kind of extra load on system is not there). Any idea on why is this freeze happens? I would understand if it was DURING saving a game, but it's just pressing F2 or F3 to trigger menu_save and menu_load. What's going on?

Last edited by Gila (2021-06-19 16:49:17)

#10 2021-06-20 22:35:42

ibloodheuer

Velouria wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new so I'm doing this both to introduce myself and to ask some questions about Quakespasm since I'm running into a couple of issues

So anyways, I'm just starting to get into Quake after a lifetime of playing Doom. I'm not up to date on "modern games" or gaming in general but I started getting curious about Quake after seeing Ahoy's YouTube video about it. I'm into EDM, house, drum and bass and some alt stuff from the 90's.

So my first question is (and I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this) when I launch Quakespasm in fullscreen mode I get this black bar on top that takes up half of my screen and the game runs in the bottom half, but cropped. This is fixed by going into the video options and turning on (or off it it was already on) the vertical scan option. While it's a solution I was wondering if there's a way to fix this problem at launch.

My other question has to do with mouse look. Whenever I start playing, I move my mouse and the camera immediately points down. Is this supposed to be normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using macOS as well at 5120 x 2880 resoltuion, just in case it has anything to do with it.

Nice to meet y'all!

Hi there,

Well, macOS isn't the best of the systems to run Quake, darkplaces seems to be the only quake engine that really "likes" macOS, the other engines, without exception, all have some minor issues, with the window manager, with some .dylib of macOS that is more up to date than those used in sourceports... AND the audio system of macOS is way different than the other operating systems.

Since modifying .App bundles and adding arguments after the call for the binary is a pain in the ass, the main solution for the majority of issues on macOS would be an AUTOEXEC.cfg.

All of those issues you've mentioned probably are happening cause macOS Window Manager doesn't like anymore those OpenGL windows... Catalina? Big Sur?

Board footer