#26 2021-05-28 11:51:07

I Like Quake

Re: Vore projectile duration

Thanks. Did the same and it worked. I don't know what it didn't like the first time.
Is it possible to increase the resolution?, I don't see an option.

#27 2021-05-28 12:06:38

I Like Quake

Managed to up the graphics a little bit with "vid_mode 10".
Survived the level, got all 15 kills. Quite easy now.
When I was a kid I would be baffled by all the monsters firing from above, especially the vores, and the fiends running around.

#28 2021-05-29 07:37:58

Gila

This BETA/Pre-Release isn't that different. In Episode 3 the secret level is Wind Tunnels, while Haunted Halls is in normal level order. Also, Dismal Oubliette has the original beginning with the swamp area that Romero had to cut. I think Satan's Dark Delight is incomplete - it has exit portal gate right in front of player's start and also some section is missing water (but has Vores) and the ending area with lava also is missing a few things and an exit.

Another difference is of course the earlier End level, and like I said it looks very Sandy Petersen style. I wonder who did this one. Somebody ask Romero on twitter or something.

#29 2021-06-19 03:43:09

triple_agent

All in all, I would expect for a vore projectile - any related amount of them, if persisting - to explode once the vore has been defeated.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-06-19 03:43:50)

#30 2021-06-19 05:19:13

Gila

triple_agent wrote:

All in all, I would expect for a vore projectile - any related amount of them, if persisting - to explode once the vore has been defeated.

The vore projectile behavior (among various other small but very cool tweaks) was changed a bit in Copper mod:

Vore missiles have been given a limited turn rate. They will still follow the player aggressively, but sidestepping them is now a skill-based option to buy a few seconds of safety before they loop around again (or to swing them into walls or other targets). Their maneuverability is reduced once their parent Vore has been killed, providing the player another option for shaking them that encourages staying in combat rather than fleeing.

#31 2021-06-20 12:10:03

OleBumma

Beta 3 works quite alright on the reQuiem engine.

#32 2021-06-21 15:42:27

I Like Quake

@OleBumma

Tried it. Definitely better than going through DosBox with the original .exe.

#33 2021-06-21 17:09:41

Gila

@OleBumma, yeah, that worked. Played through whole Episode 2 on Hard. Not much difference, except there are no Rotfish and a few monster placements and itmes here and there were changed later I think (also no Well of Wishes in Crypt of Decay, since it's in START actually). The uncut E2M6 is nothing special really, but that little swamp cave intro area sure is nice, and is much easier on a continuous playthrough.

Regarding that, I also recently wondered why they had this "self-imposed 1.4MB limit", as I posted on func_msgboard:

Recently I revisited the BETA3 pre-release version of Quake which was dated June 11th, 1996 - which is just one month (!) before the actual release of the full "registered" version of the game, as well as listening to some of Romero's Quake 'post-mortems'.

Among other things, BETA3 version still has the full E2M6, which is 1.512.984 bytes in size. The next biggest map in the PAKs is E4M7 with 1.498.800 bytes. But neither of them would fit on 1.44MB floppy drive, which Romero stated several times was their self-imposed size limit "to keep the game at reasonable size".

In the final version E4M7 has a size of 1.495.232, which is like 3KB less than it was in BETA3, and it still would not fit on the 3.5" floppy.

And why "keep game at reasonable size" approach? It's not like they were selling the full version on floppy drives anyway. Maybe BSPs bigger than ~1.44MB were causing other technical problems in the original DOS Quake? Then again, original uncut E2M6 isn't that much bigger.

Board footer