#1 2021-06-14 19:02:13

Shambler burger vendor

DirectQ alternatives

Hi all. I've been playing Quake with DirectQ engine previously and now decided to get beck to it when found out about Quake Injector with all the cool maps.

Unfortunately, I've also found out that DirectQ is outdated and won't support some of the latest maps. Which other clients can I use as alternative?

#2 2021-06-14 19:19:25

Gila

Re: DirectQ alternatives

I'm not sure if you used DirectQ because it used DirectX.

But the most often used ones nowadays are:

Quakespasm or it's more advanced Quakespasm-Spiked variant - uses OpenGL
Fitzquake Mark V - I think this one also supports DirectX for rendering
vkQuake - uses Vulkan API, for modern hardware that supports it

Last edited by Gila (2021-06-14 19:20:08)

#3 2021-06-14 19:44:44

Shambler burger vendor

Gila wrote:

Quakespasm or it's more advanced Quakespasm-Spiked variant - uses OpenGL
Fitzquake Mark V - I think this one also supports DirectX for rendering
vkQuake - uses Vulkan API, for modern hardware that supports it

Thanks a bunch, that's a nice selection of options. I've tried QuakeSpasm and Spiked, they seem to require original game files. Where do I get them or do I have to buy the game on Steam? AFAIK, original source files are freeware and don't need to be purchased. I don't intend to play the original game anyway, have completed it countless times. I'm more interested in custom maps.

Last edited by Shambler burger vendor (2021-06-14 19:45:35)

#4 2021-06-14 19:57:21

Gila

Shambler burger vendor wrote:

Thanks a bunch, that's a nice selection of options. I've tried QuakeSpasm and Spiked, they seem to require original game files. Where do I get them or do I have to buy the game on Steam? AFAIK, original source files are freeware and don't need to be purchased. I don't intend to play the original game anyway, have completed it countless times. I'm more interested in custom maps.

The original game data files (id1\pak0.pak and id1\pak1.pak) are absolutely required to run any of these, because even for mods these files have base assets. And no, they are not freeware - one has to buy the game. Usually people buy Quake on Steam or GOG.

#5 2021-06-15 04:47:30

I Like Quake

@Shambler burger version
Mark V is my fave. Only use QS when map too big for Mark V.
You can get original game files and mission packs here: http://quake.speeddemosarchive.com/quake/

#6 2021-11-16 16:19:27

mh

I recommend QuakeSpasm as the best DirectQ alternative - much of the reason for DirectQ to have existed no longer applies, and QuakeSpasm admirably serves the rest of it's purpose.

Board footer