#1 2021-06-13 01:02:53

Greenwood

Alkaline: the ultimate Base mod for Quake ...for now :)

R1paE4Y.png

Announcing ALKALINE: the ultimate Base mod for Quake ...until something better comes along. :)
This mod/map pack includes nine (9) maps (ten, if you include the start map) to enjoy!

DOWNLOAD: https://www.quaddicted.com/filebase/alkaline.zip
Mirror (via Bal ...thanks, Bal!): http://www.born-robotic.net/alkaline.zip

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J9UYEJ … sFZ4AaABAg

zJWZp4y.png

Alkaline is a Quake 1 mod & map pack, based on Rubicon 2 by metlslime.
Alkaline greatly expands the enemy roster & adds additional weapons and features.

Some of these additons include the following:
- The additional Base enemies from the Rubicon Rumble Pack
- Many enemies and elements from Malice
- The Mega Enforcer & chainsaw from Zerstörer
- The Super Enforcer (aka "Lieutenant") from Backwards Compatible
- The Drone from Operation: Urth Majik
- Enemies and a weapon from the expansion pack, Scourge of Armagon
- An enemy from from the expansion pack, Dissolution of Eternity
- The plasma rifle from Iikka "Fingers" Keränen's IKGuns
- Features from Copper, progs_dump, and other open source mods
- MANY original features from the Alkaline crew

The bulk of these elements have been retextured and modified to ensure uniformity
and balance throughout the mod. Additionally, many elements have been fixed and
altered in code to remove bugs/errors and/or to enhance gameplay.

Full development kit, including FGD & source code is available on
Alkaline's NEW, updated website! https://alkalinequake.wordpress.com/

ALKALINE CREW:

Development team:
Greenwood — project manager, coding, texturing, level design, etc.
bmFbr — assistant manager, coding, texturing, level design, etc.
Khreathor — coding, texturing, modeling
Shamblernaut — coding, texturing

Additional mod contributors:
aDaya — modeling (plasma rifle)
Bloodshot — modeling (chainsaw)
Fairweather — modeling & animation (ArachnoFloyd)
Markie — texturing (laser cannon view model enhancement, Bambler)

GScqMeL.png

iZh7xGC.png
“Dancing in the Golden Sun” • Author: Bal • Theme: Doom 3
Fupu1TE.png
“Core Meltdown” • Author: Bloodshot• Theme: Malice
l5KU0Te.png
“Breakdown” • Author: bmFbr• Theme: idBase
SgJdqKb.png
“Geothermal Outpost” • Author: Greenwood • Theme: "Tiddles' style" mixtex
AKR3XiM.png
“Dire Pipes” • Author: Grome • Theme: Rubicon 2
xcEC2ri.png
“Beneath a Silicon Eclipse” • Author: Juzley • Theme: bc7/Quake 2
1X6gfQN.png
“Welcome to Alkaline”(start map) • Authors: Makkon & Greenwood • Theme: Makkon 3
l2CdCuH.png
“Foundation for Corruption” • Author: Mista Heita • Theme: cr8/Speedbase
YMp8IRY.png
“Slipgate Sickness” • Authors: Scampie & Greenwood • Theme: Impel
Vuau3JX.png
“Tellus Terminus” • Author: zigi • Theme: IKbase

lOpiXUQ.png

Mappers for the episode include the following:

Bal, Bloodshot, bmFbr, Greenwood, Grome, Juzley, Makkon, Mista Heita, Scampie, and zigi.

YjrU4Dy.png

Alkaline includes an original sound track, from various artists, including the following:

Aim To Head, AlekswithaK, Bruno Tortorello, Immorpher, and Nine Inch Nails.

VH9skXQ.png

Installation of Alkaline is quite simple!

• Unzip the downloaded package and drag the folder marked “alkaline” into your the main folder where Quake is installed.

• Launch the game.

• Press the escape key to bring up the console (or the tilde key if already in game).

• Type “game alkaline” (no quotations).

• If done correctly, the Alkaline menu screen will appear. Start the game!

SOURCE PORT RECOMMENDATIONS
It is recommended to play Alkaline with Quakespasm or one of its offshoots (Quakespasm Spiked or vkQuake).
JoeQuake is not recommended, due to issues with some miscellaneous models; however, it mostly works.

NOTE: A few maps are in BSP2 format, due to size/complexity.
Experimentation with other source ports might yield mixed results.

Last edited by Greenwood (2021-12-04 09:20:02)

#2 2021-06-13 01:24:06

4LT

Re: Alkaline: the ultimate Base mod for Quake ...for now :)

EoE is mentioned instead of Alkaline under SOURCE PORT RECOMMENDATIONS

It is recommended to play Epochs of Enmity with Quakespasm or one of its offshoots (Quakespasm Spiked or vkQuake).

#3 2021-06-13 01:40:47

Greenwood

Thanks for the heads up, 4LT!

#4 2021-06-13 04:11:49

fairweather

I've only played Heita, Juzley and Greenwood's maps so far... and holy shit are these INSANE quality! Well done to all of you guys. It's great to have something big and new that I haven't had personal involvement of the maps in, and these new monsters (barring my shitty Arachnofloyd :D) are really interesting, I hope some of these get picked up for other mods to use. Especially loving the railgun guys, the rocket launcher ogres and the little kamikaze bots.

Heita - Amazing execution on the theme here, the gameplay is the most intense thing I've played in a while, and the progression is very interesting with how vertical the level is. Loved the silver key area fight and of course the finale on the apex of the buildings. I got yeet off of the map a few times by those fucking railgunners, such a great roster of new mobs and they're used well here.

Juzley - Loving the interconnectivity and theme, finding all of the circuit boards for that final secret area was a blast (and hard as fuck :D) and having some classic Juzley secret quad fights is always very cool. Great secrets as well, interesting to find and not bullshit for the most part. Also how the Arachnofloyd was used in the ending... my lord :D

Greenwood - Crazy sense of place, really like the secrets (number and style of them) and the brutal nature of the encounters, gave me a run for my bloody money I'll tell you what :D Highlight was that pentagram swim secret, just having to trust in the on-screen message and take the leap to find a very powerful gun, I love that kind of thing. Well done.

#5 2021-06-13 06:01:21

qazzaq

Let the whole world wait, i'll be busy now!

#6 2021-06-13 13:07:38

Bal

Dropbox download link is dead already due to popular demand, here's a mirror for people still looking to download it :
http://www.born-robotic.net/alkaline.zip

#7 2021-06-14 00:02:46

h4724

Thanks Bal <3

#8 2021-06-14 19:58:03

Dukeofibanez

wow this is awesome, thanks!

Would this work in co-op if we played it on hard?

#9 2021-06-14 20:38:30

MistaHeita

There are 3 additional coop spawn points in every map, and only one way to find out :)

Last edited by MistaHeita (2021-06-14 20:44:20)

#10 2021-06-14 22:13:55

Dukeofibanez

MistaHeita wrote:

There are 3 additional coop spawn points in every map, and only one way to find out :)

Can't wait for my bro to get back from class today then, thanks!!

Last edited by Dukeofibanez (2021-06-14 22:14:31)

#11 2021-06-15 05:54:36

qazzaq

Foundation for Corruption by Mista Heita is absolute favorite of this mod. Among with npc perfectly implemented into mod and used only in two maps, MH first who created 3D skybox in Quake and it is glorious. But brushwork... I'm speechless. It looks as unrealengine 4 at least with its impossible attention to details, real-looking fog and especially sounds. Yes, it is very important to take attention not only for brush details and lighting but and for map sounding too. The only one is pity - modern mappers sets so high rank of mapping quality that newbie and oldscool mappers should rise its own professionalism. But seems it even better.

#12 2021-06-20 05:44:16

mastema88
Banned

i wish that purple colored map from the doom3/tintin jam had been converted for use in here. maybe next time

#13 2021-06-25 13:44:51

Andrew

#14 2021-06-30 15:27:32

Pryanick

Hello!
I need some ideas - how to open elevator to get down?
Three PCB inserted. But elevators are closed.
http://service4u.narod.ru/images/elevator.jpg

#15 2021-07-01 02:41:42

bmFbr

Pryanick wrote:

Hello!

It's theoretically open for you already. The lasers disable when you get a 100% reactor overload. Those circuitboards are for the plasma gun room.
That's an issue with that elevator, it may happen if you step partially in, then quickly back out. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is by noclipping down the shaft to the bottom floor and stepping right in front of the elevator to reset its position. Or loading a previous save if possible. See if you don't have an autosave close by (just press F8 to load it).

#16 2021-07-01 19:47:47

Pryanick

bmFbr wrote:
Pryanick wrote:

Hello!

It's theoretically open for you already. The lasers disable when you get a 100% reactor overload. Those circuitboards are for the plasma gun room.
That's an issue with that elevator, it may happen if you step partially in, then quickly back out. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is by noclipping down the shaft to the bottom floor and stepping right in front of the elevator to reset its position. Or loading a previous save if possible. See if you don't have an autosave close by (just press F8 to load it).

Thank you bmFdr!
F8 works fine!

#17 2021-07-02 15:31:04

Escalate_krsk

Completed the lower part of portals section in starting hub... 5 more levels to go! Feels and plays great, so far) Only complaint is that levels are not truly connected... eg. starter level don't close the portals to levels you've beaten. No true way to "complete" the levels, just play through nine of them... and enjoy) Which is fine, too, but lacks a sort of... conclusion... to be truly a new campaign/episode. Also, I wonder if there's a complete list for all new features/enemies in Alcaline?

Last edited by Escalate_krsk (2021-07-02 15:32:18)

#18 2021-07-02 18:44:16

stoo

bmFbr - I had that problem with the elevator too. If Alkaline gets a patch, can you move the trigger to activate the forcefield/lasers again in a place where the player is unable to "back out" of it before it closes? I spent like 10 mins running around the map looking for something I'd missed before I came here and saw your post :P

#19 2021-07-02 18:53:17

stoo

bmFbr - also, the area at the bottom of that elevator - don't know if this is intentional, but the water to the RIGHT of the junction as you come out of the elevator is non-lethal, whereas the water to the LEFT is lava (i see the vapor effect to indicate the water is hot, so I get it :)

So, if you fall into the water to the right of the junction, you just get stuck instead of burning to death. You can kinda shimmy up the wall to escape as it's not vertical, but it doesn't feel like this was intentional.

#20 2021-07-02 21:58:05

stoo

qazzaq wrote:

Foundation for Corruption by Mista Heita is absolute favorite of this mod. Among with npc perfectly implemented into mod and used only in two maps, MH first who created 3D skybox in Quake and it is glorious. But brushwork... I'm speechless. It looks as unrealengine 4 at least with its impossible attention to details, real-looking fog and especially sounds. Yes, it is very important to take attention not only for brush details and lighting but and for map sounding too. The only one is pity - modern mappers sets so high rank of mapping quality that newbie and oldscool mappers should rise its own professionalism. But seems it even better.

Agree 100%. Not just one of the best Quake levels, one of the best SP levels I've ever played in any FPS. The flow, the way the different tiers are used, the unbelievable detail, the audio, the ambiance - it's just perfect. I even thought I'd found a way to sequence-break but when I made the jump - instant death :D

#21 2021-07-03 14:03:53

bmFbr

stoo wrote:

bmFbr - also, the area at the bottom of that elevator - don't know if this is intentional, but the water to the RIGHT of the junction as you come out of the elevator is non-lethal, whereas the water to the LEFT is lava (i see the vapor effect to indicate the water is hot, so I get it :)

So, if you fall into the water to the right of the junction, you just get stuck instead of burning to death. You can kinda shimmy up the wall to escape as it's not vertical, but it doesn't feel like this was intentional.

Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, those are all issues I'm aware about. The energy elevator locking up, the non-lethal water at that corner, and some other minor stuff. They've been corrected already and should be up in a next Alkaline release.

#22 2021-07-15 16:52:45

malu

This is freakin awesome..
Played the first three maps so far with vkquake - smooth as butter.
Tellus Terminus was soooo much fun to explore
Core Meltdown, a quick but complex map
Beneath silicon eclipse again so much fun to explore and to collect

The music, atmosphere and enemy encounters are amazing and outmatched.

How can players support the modders btw? Is there donation or something available.

Last edited by malu (2021-07-15 16:53:57)

#23 2021-07-15 19:20:56

h4724

malu wrote:

How can players support the modders btw? Is there donation or something available.

Most will only ask for feedback and maybe a playthrough video/demo (preferably with commentary, we love that). Some might have crowd funding for personal issues.

#24 2021-07-16 10:04:20

I Like Quake

One does not have to look far away for angels. They're right here with us, mapping & modding away.

Those screenshots look like pictures one could hang on the wall.

Actually, many of the maps I played were so beautiful (Coppertone Summer Jam comes to mind as the most recent pack) that I felt that one could take screenshots for adornment or to use as desktop wallpapers. What can I say?...: treasure chests of tableaux of unfaltering beauty.

#25 2021-12-04 09:20:27

Greenwood

Alkaline's NEW, updated website! https://alkalinequake.wordpress.com/

Board footer