#1 2021-07-06 20:21:25

Rainfell

Has anyone ever tried fulfilling id's original vision for Quake?

Y'know, the whole "Magic and Melee" concept they had before they rushed together a (still great mind you) first person shooter.

#2 2021-07-07 01:31:33

triple_agent

Re: Has anyone ever tried fulfilling id's original vision for Quake?

@'Reinfell', I believe the 'id' had many concepts; that were both revolutionary for the time, as well as way ahead of the right technology to do the thing justice. For example, the MMORPG involving VR headsets for the players - that, would be hard to do even nowadays, thinking of anything decent. In the end, 'Quake' does represent what 'id' was at the heart - in my opinion - a brainstorm of geniuses, who were not much thinking of details, but needed to make sure the thing would befit the by-then-valid standards of technological quality - which still were superior to what the industry serves us nowadays, which is - products that simply do not pass basic quality tests in terms discussed.

For 'Quake', in terms of world cohesiveness, I see it as a fistful of beautiful themes, without solid backbone, but with a muscle structure solid enough to keep it standing.

#3 2021-07-07 03:05:49

Rainfell

triple_agent wrote:

@'Reinfell', I believe the 'id' had many concepts; that were both revolutionary for the time, as well as way ahead of the right technology to do the thing justice. For example, the MMORPG involving VR headsets for the players - that, would be hard to do even nowadays, thinking of anything decent. In the end, 'Quake' does represent what 'id' was at the heart - in my opinion - a brainstorm of geniuses, who were not much thinking of details, but needed to make sure the thing would befit the by-then-valid standards of technological quality - which still were superior to what the industry serves us nowadays, which is - products that simply do not pass basic quality tests in terms discussed.

For 'Quake', in terms of world cohesiveness, I see it as a fistful of beautiful themes, without solid backbone, but with a muscle structure solid enough to keep it standing.

Thanks for your insight, but my topic was that I wanted to know if anybody ever tried recreating the original plan for Quake.

#4 2021-07-07 03:12:38

triple_agent

wrote:

Thanks for your insight, but my topic was that I wanted to know if anybody ever tried recreating the original plan for Quake.

You are welcome, my insight is free.

Do you perhaps ask if the gaming world does need more "magic and melee" stuff nowadays?

#5 2021-07-07 03:52:45

Rainfell

triple_agent wrote:
wrote:

You are welcome, my insight is free.

Do you perhaps ask if the gaming world does need more "magic and melee" stuff nowadays?

No, I'm asking if anyone has made a Quake mod or something that turns the game into an action RPG like id originally planned.

#6 2021-07-07 05:05:09

triple_agent

Rainfell wrote:

I'm asking if anyone has made a Quake mod or something that turns the game into an action RPG like id originally planned.

Not much trace of any such effort on the 'modDB' portal - not much there regarding 'Quake' altogether - but I know there was once an attempt to turn 'Quake' into a quasi-'Fallout' RPG kind of thing, abandoned into the waters of time, as it seems. Speculatively speaking, if people managed to turn 'Quake' into 'Fallout' - even if it was only a temporary effort - they would certainly have made 'Quake' into a fantasy "magic and mayhem" stuff at certain point in time, as well, but I know not of any project like that; perhaps some more well-versed in the 'Quake' history around here, could be in possession of the knowledge you seek.

I think 'Quake' is a paradox, looking up what 'id' wanted to make of it, initially.

Either how, sorry, I can not be of any help to you, @'Rainfell', but I wish you luck on your quest for the "true vision of 'id'".

#7 2021-07-07 18:04:57

Cocerello

There is several mods drinking directly with the whole Magic and melee thing, but i do not think any where specifically trying to do that.

Try with Drake or Fantasy Quake mods for hack and sorcery, but there was some TC based on melee and magic too that tested some ARPG elements, but nothing full ARPG.

Last edited by Cocerello (2021-07-07 18:07:02)

#8 2021-07-07 18:56:02

Rainfell

Cocerello wrote:

There is several mods drinking directly with the whole Magic and melee thing, but i do not think any where specifically trying to do that.

Try with Drake or Fantasy Quake mods for hack and sorcery, but there was some TC based on melee and magic too that tested some ARPG elements, but nothing full ARPG.

Thanks, I'll give them a try soon.

#9 2021-07-09 02:29:27

Madfox

I think the coming Keep Mod "Molnir" is a worthy champ for this follow up.

https://youtu.be/GXgBg2sEmqA

#10 2021-07-14 03:30:58

Rainfell

Madfox wrote:

I think the coming Keep Mod "Molnir" is a worthy champ for this follow up.

https://youtu.be/GXgBg2sEmqA

Mjolnir looks sick. I can't wait for that.

#11 2021-07-17 16:05:52

triple_agent

Speaking of "original visions", has anyone ever tried to make a total conversion of 'Quake' into 'Warhammer 40 000' kind of theme, specifically thinking of the staple order versus chaos motif or the chapter wars subject? Every time I hear the ogre melee attack, I cannot help but to think: chainsword. 'Warhammer 40 000' aesthetics - revolving around the Space Marines and the Empire - would fit as fuck to those blocky conditions of the original 'Quake' engine. The licence, though, the licence - I do understand, 'id', I totally do.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-07-17 16:54:33)

Board footer