#1 2021-09-22 20:34:36

Neofelis nightmarus

Soundtrack mod for "Dimension of the Machine"

Hey all!
I had an absolute blast playing through the new level pack in the Quake 1 rerelease (in co-op with my brother, no less) and since it has no music tracks of its own, and I'm a musician myself, I thought making some music tracks for it would be a fun project.

The idea here is to combine the discordant atmospheric....ness of the original Nine Inch Nails tracks with some of the riff-focused energy from Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity.  The two sample tracks I'm going to show off in this post hit the extremes of that spectrum, but most of the other songs I've written for this lie somewhere in the middle.
There's also a slightly bigger emphasis on guitar than SOA/DOE used, partially because that's been my main instrument for the past three-and-a-half years and partially because this project puts a heavy emphasis on all kinds of distortion, something that doesn't always play as well with orchestral samples.
And finally, because Quake's original soundtrack is one I already love to bits, you can expect a lot of experimental crap to be going on here. :)  No need to fear failure when failure just means going back to something I still like, eh?

So, now that you know what to expect, here's a sample of the stuff you're expecting!

Rot Engine
Yaguarund [instrumental mix]

It will probably be another couple of weeks before I finish and finalize all this, 'cause it turns out my computer needs some repairs first :-/

#2 2021-09-23 02:12:32

Evan

Re: Soundtrack mod for "Dimension of the Machine"

I haven't yet had the pleasure of playing the new Quake 1 release; I'll need a new computer for that.  But, I wanted to say I like the tracks you've posted here very much, especially Rot Engine, it's very enjoyable as a stand-alone experience!  I think these tracks are both good fits Quake in general.

#3 2021-09-23 17:20:10

Neofelis nightmarus

Thanks!  It's been a while since I've focused this much on atmosphere in fairly heavy music, so I'm glad you feel it would work.

#4 2021-09-26 19:37:40

Andrew

For connoisseurs of the atmosphere in the game, I offer two options for soundtracks . The first version is magically mystical, mainly in a major key from the game Amid Evil. The second version is in a minor key in a heavy style with an eight-string guitar from the game Dusk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VsjqIn … sp=sharing

Unfortunately, the preview is not possible. You'll have to download it. I think that many people will like it.

I periodically change the music in the game so that it does not get boring.

Last edited by Andrew (2021-09-26 19:39:40)

#5 2021-09-26 21:28:03

Neofelis nightmarus

I appreciate the suggestions, but, I actually made this thread about a specific music project of my own that I'm working on.

If you think your idea is a better one, that's fine with me.  I'm only writing these songs for fun, after all, and I love those two games as well.  But the reason I made this thread was so that folks in this community-- who have no reason to think I'm anything other than a garbage amateur musician-- can get a taste of what I'm making and decide whether or not they want to try it. ;)
It's so that I'm not just shoving my music down their throats in two weeks when it's done. :)
The thread is, essentially, a politeness.  I can't force you to like anything, but I would appreciate being allowed to be polite.

BTW-- my computer is back home now so I can resume work on the last few songs tomorrow ;D

If you use a translator, I hope enough of that gets through.  I don’t want to be mean, but I know english-to-russian gets very confusing, and it can easily change the tone of the conversation.

Last edited by Neofelis nightmarus (2021-09-26 22:25:30)

Board footer