inevitable

#5 2021-09-30 05:07:09

triple_agent

Re: Discribe Quake in one word

c0j wrote:

im bored thats why i posted this

Spirit wrote:

That's 7 words though, you lose.

Conventionally speaking, one word too little.

Technically, though, it is more than seven - as the thing grammatically unfolds into: "I am bored that is why I posted this" - making it nine.

Anyway, the missing word, is: "lol".

Without "lol", it is like without "sudo"; it does not compute.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-09-30 05:08:57)

#6 2021-10-01 02:13:37

Madfox

Looser

#7 2021-10-01 07:20:39

triple_agent

Madfox wrote:

Looser

There was this old game - a freeware - called 'Chromium B.S.U.'. It was pretty damn hard. Each time the player would lose, the game - instead of traditional "game over" or "you lose" - printed: "loser". I thought it was interesting and kind of unique. Maybe in 'Quake', it should also be that way?

Definitely a take on the fourth wall in gaming.

But you say "loose", not "lose".

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-01 08:03:23)

#8 2021-10-01 15:58:00

Madfox

My impulse comes from the notion of "quake" as a loser from the original state of massive consistency.
My double o from the notion I am self also also a loser of translation, as my last coin for the machine would be.

#9 2021-10-01 17:10:41

triple_agent

Madfox wrote:

My double o from the notion I am self also also a loser of translation, as my last coin for the machine would be.

Okay, I get the double "o" is a form of emphasis.

Madfox wrote:

My impulse comes from the notion of "quake" as a loser from the original state of massive consistency.

Sounds excellent, but I understand nothing from it.

#10 2021-10-02 14:29:17

Madfox

As soon as a massive consistency is broken by a quake it's the lozer of that consistency.
Our conversation gets longer than the bored one, who started seven words.

Last edited by Madfox (2021-10-02 14:33:54)

#11 2021-10-02 18:35:54

triple_agent

Madfox wrote:

As soon as a massive consistency is broken by a quake it's the lozer of that consistency.

I see that you take certain hypothetical status quo, as a form of consistency or "massive consistency", which then is a subject to certain bets being taken on it - like households, built on a foundation. When the earthquake comes or a cataclysm happens, that foundation, becomes shaken or broken, possibly resulting in the exemplary households, ruined. In case of bets, anyone who has invested in the status quo that was shaken - then becomes a loser. Being a loser, is relative, though - it is dictated by circumstances and holds principle only in a certain niche of events. The foundation, for example, could be a state - a country. We all live in certain countries, hold our money in some banks, live by the system and to a certain degree, for the system. If the system fails, we are all losers, but it does not mean, we are done. One can prevail over failure, which is what makes us human.

In the end, you cannot be a loser, if you do not feel a loser.

In turn, you can be anything you want, but what are you, if you feel a loser or an impostor - wrong man with wrong sense of purpose, in a wrong place, at a wrong time?

Greatness, a distinct sense of value, is not granted by others - only privilege is. Sometimes, privilege may be taken for greatness, but that, is a topic for comedy.

Madfox wrote:

Our conversation gets longer than the bored one, who started seven words.

Do you think he minds?

People undervalue boredom. The boredom, is a source of certain creative potential; as long as it gets properly broken, in due time. Sometimes things need to break, in order to release the thing new.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-03 04:14:09)

#12 2021-10-03 15:41:35

Madfox

Triple_agent : do you think he minds?

Where are we talking about?

#13 2021-10-03 17:55:35

triple_agent

Madfox wrote:

"do you think he minds?"

Where are we talking about?

Very good question, maybe parallel dimensions?

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-03 17:56:01)

#14 2021-10-03 20:45:31

Spirit
Administrator

I think for me the word would be "weird". Quake is weird, it's alien, the levels are crazy, yet somehow they make sense. Weird!

#15 2021-10-04 10:41:01

I Like Quake

Perennial.

#16 2021-10-04 17:48:33

triple_agent

I Like Quake wrote:

Perennial.

You mean, incessantly blossoming or persisting against all and oneself?

#17 2021-10-04 21:59:17

I Like Quake

@triple_agent

I mean long-lasting and renewing.

#18 2021-10-05 02:02:32

whatisquake

brown

#19 2021-10-05 04:37:16

basementApe

triple_agent wrote:

People undervalue boredom. The boredom, is a source of certain creative potential; as long as it gets properly broken, in due time. Sometimes things need to break, in order to release the thing new.

A friend of mine, who still uses a tracker to compose music, said this once:
"Creativity doesn't come when you're excited. Creativity comes when you're so bored out of your mind with what you have that you'll try anything to make it interesting again."

#20 2021-10-05 07:14:07

triple_agent

basementApe wrote:
triple_agent wrote:

A friend of mine, who still uses a tracker to compose music, said this once:
"Creativity doesn't come when you're excited. Creativity comes when you're so bored out of your mind with what you have that you'll try anything to make it interesting again."

Was it not the good old Frederick N., who said that one meets their greatest, not in the loudest moments, but the quietest?

Fine example, is a constructive hobby of reading books in the leisure. Few people do that, nowadays. We are mostly distracted. In order to appreciate a good piece of written word - especially a more ambitious volume - one needs to quiet down; perhaps even retreat, in terms of modern consumerism. Boredom, is a thing required of that sort; the silence, to focus and go deeper.

Should we associate 'Quake', with the notion of "boredom"? That, would fit the perspective exercised in starter post.

#21 2021-10-11 22:33:23

GenericJohnDoe

Reznor

#22 2021-10-12 09:03:51

triple_agent

GenericJohnDoe wrote:

Reznor

In a way, Trent Reznor did make 'Quake' - such as the "Copper" mod, in the way of sound effects, alongside the enemy behavior corrections, does make my restauration of axe fighting purposefulness.

Suddenly, the axe, has become a tool of great concern - because it gained a missing dimension; the depth.

Sound, is a major element in viscerality. Remember the heartbeat in 'Doom 3'?

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-12 09:07:56)

#23 2021-10-12 15:37:14

c0j

cant believe alot of replies

#24 2021-10-12 19:15:39

Madfox

So you do mind?
Give your one word.

And don't say: 

Bored.

#25 2021-10-13 02:47:57