#1 2021-10-12 08:54:18

triple_agent

'Doom' sourceports

I have not been a major 'Doom' follower, nor any particular 'Doom' player in my life. My origins and my childhood, is 'Wolfenstein 3D', to be exact. Nonetheless, my fascination with the 'Doom' franchise, was 'Doom 3' - probably due to how much closer towards the spiritual lineage of 'Quake 2', it appeared to me. Personally, I feel that John Carmack, could be pretty much proud of 'idTech4', from a technological perspective, at least.

Speaking of the classics, I like one 'Doom' sourceport, entitled Doom Retro. Have you heard about it? It is in the vanilla-style vein of "Chocolate Doom", albeit does not shy away from proposing reasonable improvements.

Unfortunately, the sourceport, is compatible exclusively with 'Windows' OS, for the time being.

For the other sourceports, I admit to not have given them too much of attention; they all seem somewhat bizarre to myself. For the famous "GZDoom", it seems such an puzzle with all the convoluted option lists, that it makes one feel lost just by looking at it. This, is perhaps also the reason, why did I sympathize with 'Quakespasm' - it has just the right amount of stuff, respectful to the original, without being too ideological about it.

Getting back to the topic; for the experience in "Doom Retro", I recommend a mod, entitled Vanilla Brutal Doom. It is an adaptation of "Brutal Doom" weapons to vanilla 'Doom' framework.

Do you know of any vanilla or "boom"-compatible maps for 'Doom', that could be a worthwhile subject study for a statistical 'Quake' mapper?

These megawads, sit on my flashdrive - waiting for a day when the old ones wake up - to be given a try; know any from among such titles already?

* UAC Ultra
* Dimension of the Boomed
* Sunlust
* Combat Shock 2
* Preacher

I do not remember, why I chose these specifically, but I did some research, based on "Cacowards".

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-10-12 17:54:28)

#2 2021-10-12 18:58:06

Chaser

Re: 'Doom' sourceports

U inspired me, I downloaded Dimension of the Boomed, played 2 levels and... wow, just wow. Top tier megawad IMHO. Not all enemies sprites sit with me, but, so far, it's great fun, and brutal difficulty.

#3 2023-05-10 10:45:41

houston

Hey! If you've never tried it out all this time later, I think you'd enjoy crispy-doom. It's just like chocolate-doom except it adds an ingame menu where you can toggle things like freelook, stats counters, jumping and ducking, coloured door lines on the automap, secret announcements, coloured blood for appropriate enemies, etc.

#4 2023-05-10 12:26:17

qazzaq

I got "wow!" effect launching Eternity
https://eternity.youfailit.net/wiki/Main_Page
Doom looks so 16-bit at this engine! Colors fading to gray-ish semi-colours and it is perfect!

Please, forgive me, Quake-lovers for this blasphemy!

#5 2023-07-01 11:08:40

triple_agent

I do not know what is wrong with 'Doom' sourceports but I cannot for the love of it figure out why does it hate 'Linux' so much. Fortunately the most popular of them are fully compatible. Unfortunately, I dislike them.

#6 2023-07-01 11:27:56

qazzaq

Hard to imagine surprising Doom players purchased this "reissued" game on Epic: it runs on Unity(oh shi...) engine!

#7 2023-07-01 19:46:09

Gila

qazzaq wrote:

Hard to imagine surprising Doom players purchased this "reissued" game on Epic: it runs on Unity(oh shi...) engine!

I think Unity in this case is just a "wrapper" or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVzycyGV9Y

Last edited by Gila (2023-07-01 19:46:34)

#8 2023-07-05 08:57:28

triple_agent

I am not much into classic 'Doom' world but what I have figured out basing off casual observation is that when it comes to the sourceports and the modding scene, there is practically a monopoly.

Last edited by triple_agent (2023-07-05 09:00:48)

Board footer