#1 2021-11-05 05:51:26

triple_agent

"Copper" breaking maps? (Map validation request)

Hi,

I would like someone to validate, whether my impression is correct, that an otherwise very impressive map, by the "Quaddicted" codename of "gmsp3tw" - "Day of the Lords" - is broken. I would request if someone could try and play the map on "easy" difficulty - compatible sourceport of choice - then tell me, whether the map, is technically doable to go through, without using cheats or other arbitrary gimmicks? I see there are sequences, that in order to initiate a trigger, require certain amount of given monsters to be fragged; the problem is, the monsters, do not - apparently - appear in sufficient amounts, on the lower difficulty levels.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-11-06 05:11:59)

#2 2021-11-05 11:46:49

dwere

Re: "Copper" breaking maps? (Map validation request)

I had this issue when playing the map with Copper. I don't think it was on easy though. Maybe I'll test it later.

#3 2021-11-05 13:29:13

Warthog

Just played through it on easy in QuakeSpasm 0.93.2 and had no trouble getting through it (99/112 kills, 1/5 secrets).

I don't think the trigger is killing a (fixed) number of enemies. The more elegant way of doing this kind of thing is to define a group of enemies and trigger when the number of active members of the group drops to zero ...

#4 2021-11-05 14:54:19

dwere

If I remember correctly, some scrags didn't teleport, and they were required kills. It worked fine without the mod though.

#5 2021-11-05 16:38:44

triple_agent

Thanks for responses, 'Warthog' and 'dwere'. Thusfar, on "Easy" difficulty, I saw the problem with Vores, early in the game, after the silver key moment. On the "Normal", likewise kind of problem, somewhat later in the game, appeared with Scrags, such as you mention. But indeed, I do play the map with "Copper" mod, as I usually do, with most vanilla-compatible 'Quake' maps. Maybe now I should try without the "Copper", even though, it is the first time I see that this mod, could technically break a map.

#6 2021-11-05 17:31:15

Spirit
Administrator

Well, using copper on maps not developed for it will break balance already so it's no surprise that it could break other things as well...
Next time better mention straightaway if you are not using id1.

#7 2021-11-06 05:11:31

triple_agent

Spirit wrote:

Well, using copper on maps not developed for it will break balance already so it's no surprise that it could break other things as well...
Next time better mention straightaway if you are not using id1.

I think it is a worthwhile observation to make, that "Copper" mod, could possibly break some maps, as probably nobody, would expect it to do so. "Copper", is meant to be a refinement - basically, a vanilla slightly realigned - at least, from what I understand about it. Finally, there is no relevant incompatibility warning, when it comes to the relationship between "Copper"' and vanilla-compliant maps; that I would know of. The case of balance, on the other hand, is mentioned - that some enemies or game modes, may appear tougher.

I am not a mapper myself, therefore, I may not understand certain intricacies and links between the enemy toughness and the very notion of an enemy appearing at a place, destined by the mapper; as well as, why would "Copper", affect any mechanical aspects of a map design.

EDIT:

Changed the threat title.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-11-06 07:41:45)

Board footer