#1 2021-11-23 00:28:53

Greenwood

Alkaline 1.1: the Thanksgiving update :)

Well, it's here: the ALKALINE 1.1 release!

LkYaYDQ.png
Alkaline's NEW website: https://alkalinequake.wordpress.com//

After further development, the update to the Base enhancement mod/map pack is available to enjoy.
MORE MAPS, MORE ENEMIES, MORE ORIGINAL MUSIC, MORE FEATURES, and a TON of POLISH!
With maps from the following level designers:

Bal, Bloodshot, bmFbr, DragonsForLunch, EmeraldTiger, Greenwood,
Grome, Juzley, Makkon, Mazu, Mista Heita, Paul Lawitzki, Scampie, & zigi.

Additionally, this has a lot of new, original music from AlekswithaK!

UPDATED LINKS (12/4/2021)
DOWNLOAD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NXd3BQ … sp=sharing
Additional mirror: http://born-robotic.net/stuff/qstuff/alkaline1.1.zip

C4rYXVz.png

GScqMeL.png

PaYsg5X.png
Updated start map (with an additional room/portals) by Makkon ...note the new expanded HUD

Ll3318R.png
Core Meltdown by Bloodshot

h1MzDmk.png
Overengineering Mania by Mazu & Greenwood

uqcbutw.png
Dancing in the Golden Sun (updated) by Bal

7VlIpXI.png
North Central Positronics (updated) by DragonsForLunch

Uy9du5O.png
Logistics of Chaos (updated) by EmeraldTiger

fjKoriz.png
Beneath a Silicon Eclipse (updated) by Juzley

a21QnS3.png
Slipgate Sickness (updated) by Scampie & Greenwood

dsfHFAx.png
Dire Pipes (updated) by Grome

u8PLdlx.png
Foundation for Corruption by Mista Heita

OiGhfxr.png
Breakdown (updated) by bmFbr

wEgmTYE.png
Geothermal Outpost (updated) by Greenwwood

FNPHB52.png
Derelict Freighter (updated) by Paul Lawitzki

Sa7srW5.png
Tellus Terminus by zigi

VH9skXQ.png

Installation of Alkaline 1.1 is quite simple!

• Unzip the downloaded package and drag the folder marked “alk1.1” into your the main folder where Quake is installed.

• Launch the game.

• Press the escape key to bring up the console (or the tilde key if already in game).

• Type “game alk1.1” (no quotations).

• If done correctly, the Alkaline menu screen will appear. Start the game!

SOURCE PORT RECOMMENDATIONS:
It is recommended to play Alkaline with Quakespasm or one of its offshoots (Quakespasm Spiked or vkQuake).
However, most source ports that handle increased limits & BSP2 support should work.
The expanded HUD requires Client-Side QuakeC. GL_NEAREST texture filtering is advised.
If playing on the Remaster engine, turning off the enhanced models is recommended.

Last edited by Greenwood (2021-12-04 09:11:04)

#2 2021-11-23 04:43:35

Alex Ros

Re: Alkaline 1.1: the Thanksgiving update :)

Hey! THANKS for effortd 1st of all. Updated maps are always appreciated!!! Plus as I see some maps from Alk Jam got it into main mod package, which is great imo

bmFbr told the mod code base itself will be updated with new features - mobs on paths when aggroed in particular - is it in this version?

#3 2021-11-23 04:43:53

Alex Ros

delete me

Last edited by Alex Ros (2021-11-23 04:44:29)

#4 2021-11-23 04:44:06

Alex Ros

delete me

Last edited by Alex Ros (2021-11-23 04:44:51)

#5 2021-11-23 05:08:25

triple_agent

Nice, I am definitely going to try that out, once I get through a list of some older maps and jams, that I intend to eventually play. Until then, maybe a patch or two more, will be released for the "Alkaline", so anyhow, time works in favor, since you do not abandon the project!

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-11-23 05:40:56)

#6 2021-11-23 05:39:06

qazzaq

Overengineering Mania???
Seems to be jump bots implemented into Alkaline? Yahooooo!
Thanks Greenwood,
Thanks all the Alkaline crew!

#7 2021-11-23 06:35:16

I Like Quake

Thanks for the autosave disabling feature.
Quake on!

#8 2021-11-23 09:01:57

wiedo

Can't wait to play these.

Made another Mirror (NL): https://wiedo.stackstorage.com/s/I18n7lB33DYiGJxS.

Last edited by wiedo (2021-11-23 09:02:28)

#9 2021-11-24 14:14:24

tyfighter

In the new map Overengineering Mania by Mazu & Greenwood, I feel like I'm missing something about how to use jump boots. The jumps being suggested are legitimately impossible from any double jumping height. Now, for the first time ever, I'm actually stuck in a Quake level, because a floor breaks out from under you, and you need to hit a button far out of reach on the ceiling to get out? What on earth am I missing?

#10 2021-11-24 16:37:20

GenericJohnDoe

@tyfighter Which engine do you use?

#11 2021-11-24 17:10:04

bmFbr

tyfighter wrote:

In the new map Overengineering Mania by Mazu & Greenwood, I feel like I'm missing something about how to use jump boots. The jumps being suggested are legitimately impossible from any double jumping height. Now, for the first time ever, I'm actually stuck in a Quake level, because a floor breaks out from under you, and you need to hit a button far out of reach on the ceiling to get out? What on earth am I missing?

I've answered on Reddit already, but I'll copy it here in case someone else has the same problem.

Some jumps require a jump boots upgrade. If you get another one you can do an additional air jump - I know there's at least one more in the map somewhere, maybe two?

Anyway, there are some other jumps that are indeed difficult, but they all should be *doable* at least. I recall some requiring good reflexes and/or a bit of circle-jumping, but not anything Smilecythe-hard.

#12 2021-11-24 17:40:50

tyfighter

@GenericJoeDoe - bmFbr helped me already, but just to answer you I use a quakespasm/spiked/my own modifications fork.  But regardless, jumping has always been the hardest thing for me to do in games :D.

#13 2021-11-24 17:41:04

tyfighter

Double posted because of the weird 404 page, sorry.

Last edited by tyfighter (2021-11-24 17:41:38)

#14 2021-11-24 20:52:13

Andrew

Hi! Well done guys!

And where in the pack file is the hell knight with a laser sword and a cool skin like in the picture "North Central Positronics (updated) DragonsForLunch"?
And where is the ogre's head with a full helmet, in the pack file there is a head only in a half mask? So the head was not added in the update. And I did offer a more highly polygonal ogre model to which the skins from the mod are 100% suitable. I have this model in my topic.

I haven't made a comparison with the first version of the mod yet...

#15 2021-11-24 20:52:30

Andrew

There are some problems with the site and the messages are duplicated.

Last edited by Andrew (2021-11-24 20:53:09)

#16 2021-11-25 03:07:26

bmFbr

Andrew wrote:

Hi! Well done guys!

And where in the pack file is the hell knight with a laser sword and a cool skin like in the picture "North Central Positronics (updated) DragonsForLunch"?
And where is the ogre's head with a full helmet, in the pack file there is a head only in a half mask? So the head was not added in the update. And I did offer a more highly polygonal ogre model to which the skins from the mod are 100% suitable. I have this model in my topic.

I haven't made a comparison with the first version of the mod yet...

Hey, thanks!
About your observations:
- The Sabre Knight is there as pictured, working perfectly. Didn't get what you mean.
- The ogre head gib, yeah, it doesn't have a mask. But it was upgraded in fact, and we think it looks cool that way.
- About your hipoly ogre model, we appreciate the effort, but we opted to make overall detail level and visuals more consistent this time around. The fact that model detail varied wildly across different monsters was something rightfully noted by various people in the first release, and we wanted to rectify that. Also we have some very talented dedicated 3D and 2D artists in the team already, who's corrected various small issues in the models, so we're well covered in that regard. But again, thanks!

#17 2021-11-25 07:28:20

triple_agent

Guys, I do not want to be rude, but once you said that "Alkaline", is either going to be - or already is - the second best thing after the renown "Arcane Dimensions". In case of the "Arcane Dimensions", there is a word out there for it and the opinion, is certainly earned. I mean, the statement brought, is a bold statement, minding it apparently came from developers directly. You must be aware that it sets up certain level of expectations and if these expectations, should anyhow be failed even just a little, the issue, is likely to be perceived in an exaggerated way? Well, but who knows, maybe the "Alkaline", will come out to be better than the "Arcane Dimensions"!

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-11-25 09:20:56)

#18 2021-11-25 09:39:43

h4724

Your abuse of punctuation infuriates me to no end.

#19 2021-11-25 09:46:05

triple_agent

h4724 wrote:

Your abuse of punctuation infuriates me to no end.

Thank you, it means you must be sensitive, but it also means you read the stuff. I assume you address me, by the way, because I figure out nobody else abuses punctuation to a degree that I do. I hope that I do not make a lot of inconsistency mistakes! In case I do, I do not mind someone correcting it.

#20 2021-11-25 16:09:51

Andrew

People! There is no need to bicker over punctuation marks, because they are put differently in different languages! In Russian, for example, there are several times more of them than in English! And by doing Google translation for speed with the help of a translator, I then delete a lot of punctuation marks. )))

About the hell knight - I just didn't find it in the files of version 1.1 at all. No model, no skin. Your ogre has the most original model and is not geometrically improved at all.

And criticism is criticism. Either the developers accept it or you just shouldn't see it and should forbid writing anything in your topic. I accept criticism and try to correct my mistakes and shortcomings. No offense, please.

Why such a review? Because in version 1.1, apart from the improved shambler texture, the old model of a soldier with a new weapon and blood skins, I didn't see anything new. Both AD and Q2021 have already been released with new improved models, and you are all using the very first low-poly models. People are already used to them. I've been asking you to accept these changes for a long time, but you don't hear me.

#21 2021-11-25 16:26:19

bmFbr

triple_agent wrote:

Guys, I do not want to be rude, but once you said that "Alkaline", is either going to be - or already is - the second best thing after the renown "Arcane Dimensions". In case of the "Arcane Dimensions", there is a word out there for it and the opinion, is certainly earned. I mean, the statement brought, is a bold statement, minding it apparently came from developers directly. You must be aware that it sets up certain level of expectations and if these expectations, should anyhow be failed even just a little, the issue, is likely to be perceived in an exaggerated way? Well, but who knows, maybe the "Alkaline", will come out to be better than the "Arcane Dimensions"!

Thanks! But I guess no one in the team have ever said that.
Even though AD *did* set the bar a lot higher for other mods, we just strive to make the best experience possible within our our own limitations, not to get an "Alkaline is better than mod XYZ" type of response. This isn't a competition after all.
The only thing said remotely close to that was that Alkaline is the "ultimate base mod until something better comes along". But that's because, other than Rubicon2 and RRP - which Alkaline was even built upon -, there are no other base-focused mods around.

#22 2021-11-25 16:48:51

triple_agent

bmFbr wrote:
triple_agent wrote:

Thanks! But I guess no one in the team have ever said that.
Even though AD *did* set the bar a lot higher for other mods, we just strive to make the best experience possible within our our own limitations, not to get an "Alkaline is better than mod XYZ" type of response. This isn't a competition after all.
The only thing said remotely close to that was that Alkaline is the "ultimate base mod until something better comes along". But that's because, other than Rubicon2 and RRP - which Alkaline was even built upon -, there are no other base-focused mods around.

Yes, you are right, my bad. I must have misunderstood something.

I wish you become the best industrial mod around for 'Quake', then!

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-11-25 16:50:13)

#23 2021-11-25 17:50:40

bmFbr

Andrew wrote:

People! There is no need to bicker over punctuation marks, because they are put differently in different languages! In Russian, for example, there are several times more of them than in English! And by doing Google translation for speed with the help of a translator, I then delete a lot of punctuation marks. )))

About the hell knight - I just didn't find it in the files of version 1.1 at all. No model, no skin. Your ogre has the most original model and is not geometrically improved at all.

And criticism is criticism. Either the developers accept it or you just shouldn't see it and should forbid writing anything in your topic. I accept criticism and try to correct my mistakes and shortcomings. No offense, please.

Why such a review? Because in version 1.1, apart from the improved shambler texture, the old model of a soldier with a new weapon and blood skins, I didn't see anything new. Both AD and Q2021 have already been released with new improved models, and you are all using the very first low-poly models. People are already used to them. I've been asking you to accept these changes for a long time, but you don't hear me.

Again, as I said, we didn't want inconsistent visuals and detail levels across models in the pack. That was deliberate. We have some monsters ported from older mods and their models were kept. For example, in previous releases, Alkaline shipped with very high detail models for the Grunt and Enforcer, but they clashed heavily in style with other monsters based their original models, like the Nail Grunt, Dreadnought, Mega Enforcer, etc. Even then, there various improvements in the models, like massively reworked skins, small geometry issues corrected, and improved UVs - plus multiple pain skins for almost all non-robotic monsters. That in itself was already quite a bit of work, about a dozen or more monsters got that treatment.
And about the rerelease models, they're somewhat a mixed bag. They aren't unanimously better. They can be higher poly, yeah, but some ended up looking like fat blobs. Plus, even if we converted the best ones to standard MDLs to ship them in the mod we'd again fall into the issue stated above.

And we do accept criticism. In fact, various changes and corrections happened due to that. But what it seems is that you're gratuitously dimishing our work just because we didn't chose to use your models and cater to your own specific views.
I think I didn't even need to list what was improved, as the differences should be night and day to anyone. Even comparing to the latest release from the Alkjam they're substantial, much less to the first 1.0 pack.

Even then, let's go:
- 5 new enemies - among these, only one is a direct port (even that got some polish as well), the other ones varying from massively reworked to 100% original;
- ALL monsters got revised and updated somehow - rebalancing, behavior improvements, bug fixes, new skins, new models, new sounds, you name it.
- added pain skin variations to almost all non-robotic mobs;
- added a new weapon - the Proximity Launcher from SoA, which was remodeled and reskinned completely;
- various revised and improved weapons: new sound effects, and a new high-FPS Super Nailgun model;
- 4 new maps, plus almost all others were updated for bug corrections, gameplay improvements, and to include some of the new stuff;
- 3 new music tracks;
- new powerups
- a completely new expanded custom HUD;
- engine-independant bulletholes and footstep sound effects;
- new gib models and code for all monsters;
- massive increase in the mapping featureset, making it one of the most capable and complete around;
- COUNTLESS bugfixes and small improvements;
- a lot more other stuff I'm forgetting right now

All in all, there where about 350 commits to our code repository after the 1.0 release. So saying that there's nothing new besides the the 3 model updates you mentioned, is a bold statement, to say the least.

Last edited by bmFbr (2021-11-25 18:03:02)

#24 2021-11-25 18:12:10

Andrew

Thank you for your detailed answer. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I bow low to you for your wonderful teamwork. None of the proposed models is mine. I can only offer them as an alternative. The maximum that I change in models is the animation of movement and sometimes skins. I was talking about model changes between the 1.0 and 1.1 packs. I wasn't talking about changes in the *.qc files and adding new maps. I found a knight model. It turns out you renamed it sabreknight. My apologies.

I really respect your work because I myself have been correcting the MD5 animation of models from Q2021 for more than three months and I understand how long and tedious it is to do.

Last edited by Andrew (2021-11-25 18:20:08)

#25 2021-11-25 18:21:48

h4724

Andrew wrote:

Both AD and Q2021 have already been released with new improved models, and you are all using the very first low-poly models. People are already used to them..

Only one of the viewmodels in Alkaline uses the original 1996 model, and the rocket launcher model is literally from the 2021 remaster. Greenwood has already explained to you that more polygons do not necessarily mean better models, and that your replacements do not match the team's vision. Coming into another thread to complain doesn't change this, and only reflects poorly on you.

Board footer