My mod Peril is ready to playtest.
It's based upon Arcane Dimensions.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nupftgr1 … l.zip/file

First impressions please.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nupftgr1 … l.zip/file

#2 2021-12-29 16:30:04

triple_agent

Re: Peril Mod

What map do you suggest to play the mod with or what particular features of the mod, are to be taken notice of?

If you could describe in few sentences, what does this mod aim to achieve?

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-12-29 16:31:32)

#3 2021-12-30 09:18:14

Balgorg

Ok, so the basics-

It's 16 very large maps inspired by a great many shooters.
It contains hundreds of custom textures and alpha-masked fence textures.
The maps take advantage of the added capacity of the engine in modern times (QSS) as well as some of the best mod content from AD.
Peril features huge maps, vast outdoor areas, and a memorable final mission.
And, possibly, the largest and most complex func_train you have ever seen.

Peril does though feel like a new game, with an affinity to Wrath in that respect.
I haven't played anything like Peril before in Quake. So its difficult to describe it.

It plays huge homage to all the shooters I used to play years ago.

Combat was without doubt the hardest thing to get right, so I am interested to know how other people get on with what I have come up with.
Also progression through the maps.
The maps are full of alternate routes to take,  which makes it difficult to create objectives easy to find, without placing the player on rails! I have tried to avoid this, but it's inevitable. So it would be interesting to know how often people are completely lost.

The storyline is complex. It's in the readme file in the zip.

#4 2021-12-30 18:54:01

Andrew

Hello!

I got a game error with the crash to the desktop on the START map.

Screenshot of the error:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AIOhUy … sp=sharing

And when switching to the next map after the TUNNELS map.
CRAVASSE, GEOTHERMAL, INDUSTRY, LAVA, POWERPLANT, SHUB, SUBBASE, TAVISTOCK maps have a similar error.

Very interesting and stylized maps, but half of them don't work. Maybe it's just me? I have a QSS 0.94.0 engine.
The maps are so huge that some of them the number of frames per second drops to zero. For example, at the beginning of the GORGE map and in the middle of the PRISON map. I even had to forcibly turn off the game, even the console was slowing down. In total, I managed to run 7 out of 16 maps. 9 maps crashed to the desktop with an error.

I'm very sad, but I liked it anyway. :-)

Last edited by Andrew (2021-12-30 19:38:31)

#5 2021-12-31 02:45:00

triple_agent

Trying to run the mod under "vkQuake" engine version "1.10.0-beta3".

Immediate error I get, preventing the start:

QUAKE ERROR: (...)/pak0.pak has 2283 files

By the way, I think redistribution of "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak", is illegal; 'Quake', is proprietary. Unless, it is not the actual "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak", but a superstructure of sort.

Last edited by triple_agent (2021-12-31 03:47:35)

#6 2021-12-31 06:47:00

Balgorg

Andrew]

'I got a game error with the crash to the desktop on the START map.'

Screenshot of the error:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AIOhUy … sp=sharing

Hopefully it explains in the readme. You need to allocate more ram to run those maps. 
We all have had the same error, and it first occurred once the maps reached a certain size.

From the readme-
More RAM to has to be allocated in order to run Peril. To do this follow these steps:
1. Create a shortcut to your Quakespasm-spiked.exe (right click, create shortcut)
2. Right click on the new shortcut and select properties
3. You will now see the Shortcut tab, and the pathname. After the Quakespasm-spiked.exe path type the following: -heapsize 524288

Hopefully that will work.

Also in the readme are the specifications. My machine is rubbish and for me i get a bad framerate, but my sons desktop runs it ok accept for some places when gibs and plasma are flying. My daughter's laptop runs it with no problems.

Redfield had similar issues with Raven Keep, when the engine is pushed to its limits. I can't even run Raven Keep.

#7 2021-12-31 06:50:12

Balgorg

triple_agent wrote:

Trying to run the mod under "vkQuake" engine version "1.10.0-beta3".

Immediate error I get, preventing the start:

QUAKE ERROR: (...)/pak0.pak has 2283 files

By the way, I think redistribution of "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak", is illegal; 'Quake', is proprietary. Unless, it is not the actual "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak", but a superstructure of sort.

I have only tested it on QSS which might be the only engine it will work on.

The pak files are nothing other than clones from those that came with Arcane Dimensions, with added sounds mainly into the ambience folder.

#8 2021-12-31 08:30:57

Andrew

Thank you Balgorg for the answer about memory, I forgot something about this moment.
My computer is not quite a "bucket" yet, although it is old (Core-i7, RAM 16Gb, GeForce 1060 6Gb). )))
I'll try to play with the mod again. ;-P

Oh guys, I take all my words back. I increased the "heapsize" size to 600000 and the huge maps started!
Thanks for the hints!

Last edited by Andrew (2021-12-31 08:50:02)

#9 2021-12-31 09:32:59

Balgorg

Andrew wrote:

Oh guys, I take all my words back. I increased the "heapsize" size to 600000 and the huge maps started!
Thanks for the hints!

Great to hear it.

Not all the maps are fully vis'd yet. Takes 8 hours to do so on the start map alone !
So the final version will run better. Also there's many optimizations that I am learning which is improving the framerate.
With maps this big you can't really afford to always run a full compile when there are bound to be a number of gameplay issues needing regular tweaking of the map design. Hopefully some playtesters can help me to iron out all the wrinkles.

Board footer