#1 2022-01-26 18:38:57

Andrew

New models of ogre heads and the problem with one for "Alkaline + JAM"

Hello to all the developers of the "Alkaline" modification!

I made all three heads for ogres (for some reason you don't want to do them) but when I started the game, I found only two working heads (h_ogre.mdl, h_ogreb.mdl). I don't really understand the game codes but I understand approximately what needs to be done in the file "ogre.qc", because there is no separate file for the ogre marksman.

"ogre.qc":
void() ogre_die = - it is necessary to add a new section for the ogre marksman void() ogre_marksman_die =
{
// check for gib
    ThrowHead ("progs/h_ogre.mdl", self.health); - this should be changed to ThrowHead ("progs/h_ogrem.mdl", self.health)
void() monster_ogre_marksman = {
    precache_model ("progs/ogrem.mdl");
    precache_model ("progs/h_ogre.mdl");  - this should be changed to precache_model ("progs/h_ogrem.mdl")

Or it might be better to make a separate file "ogrem.qc" for the ogre marksman? You are smarter than me and know better what to do.

Screenshot of comparison of ogre models and their heads:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZqpXJ1 … sp=sharing
Skins are equally superimposed on both simple and improved models of heads.

Link to download ogre models and their heads:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9udqX … sp=sharing

Last edited by Andrew (2022-01-26 18:41:26)

#2 2022-01-27 08:01:54

qazzaq

Re: New models of ogre heads and the problem with one for "Alkaline + JAM"

You're just an evil model wizard! It never occurred to me that this could be realized. It's incredibly cool! Wait, where's my beloved double-sawed ogrb? Tihs one with alk_ogre are ported from RRP. It would be cool to see a RRP version this two fatty guys.

#3 2022-01-27 16:24:54

Andrew

To be honest, my work here is minimal and took at most an hour. These models from the "Q1.5" modification were in the "progs" folder, but for some reason they were not used in the game itself. I just noticed that the original textures of the ogre and his head fit these models and replaced them.

It's a pity that I don't have the original model and its animation in Blender or MD5 format. Then it would be possible to round the model in the base frame and the changes would immediately apply to the entire model in all frames. In the MDL model, this cannot be done, but only change the model in each frame, and this is terribly long and tedious.

#4 2022-01-28 02:53:42

triple_agent

@'Andrew', do you have some representative compilation of your models, working with base game as a coherent, self-contained mod; that would be compatible with 'Quakespasm' versions earlier than "0.94"?

I peeked into your downloads, in some other thread and found a convoluting number of folders that I did not know what to really do with.

Yeah, I am a noob but you need to account for people like that as well.

Last edited by triple_agent (2022-01-28 02:55:39)

#5 2022-01-28 14:54:46

Andrew

Yes, everything is simple and specially laid out in separate folders so that people choose what they need:
1. The "MD5 all+MDL heads" folder contains standard models from "Q2021" for the "QSS" engine and an optional "enforcer" model in MD5 format. Just copy everything you need to the "ID1/progs" folder;
2. The "MDL for ID1" folder contains standard models from "Q2021" for the "QSS" engine and an optional "enforcer" model in MDL format, they can be copied over item 1. The models do not overlap in names. There are also modified "enforcer" and "shotgun" models in this folder.
3. The folder "Maps(BSP) for ID1" contains standard models from "Q2021" of more highly polygonal models of ammo, medkits and boxes, which for some reason the developers did not use. Copy the option you like to the "ID1/maps" folder. Screenshots are attached in the topic.

Other folders contain models for add-ons, improved particles from shots and explosions, and modified monster animations.

I specifically fully described in the topic and text file where everything lies.

Here is a link to this topic:
https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1017

Here is a link to my mini-mod:
https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1018
But it contains the file "progs.dat" and will not work with other mods in full.

#6 2022-01-28 15:05:08

Andrew

I am more interested in why the developers of the "Alkaline" mod did not respond to my topic?

And why didn't they officially announce the new mod "January Jump Jam 2" on the web and on their website?

The Internet is full of YouTube videos and links to download this mod.

P.S. I've been jumping all over it for a long time, but not very successfully. I don't know how to jump and perform parkour tricks like the players do on YouTube. Maybe they have some other game engine or settings? :-)

Last edited by Andrew (2022-01-28 15:07:44)

#7 2022-01-28 15:11:13

triple_agent

@'Andrew', thanks, so you do not have any models custom made by you, only imports from the re-release?

Sorry for derailing this thread a little bit.

#8 2022-01-28 15:17:31

Andrew

triple_agent wrote:

@'Andrew', thanks, so you do not have any models custom made by you, only imports from the re-release?

I just spent a long and tedious time correcting animations and skins of existing models. I started doing it for myself, but when I realized that I had to fix almost all the models, I decided to share it with the players. I think that it will be useful to someone. :-)

#9 2022-01-28 16:02:43

triple_agent

Andrew wrote:
triple_agent wrote:

I just spent a long and tedious time correcting animations and skins of existing models. I started doing it for myself, but when I realized that I had to fix almost all the models, I decided to share it with the players. I think that it will be useful to someone. :-)

If the effort is genuine, it does pay off eventually - that is what I believe.

In the worst case, as an exercise for future endeavors.

Last edited by triple_agent (2022-01-29 02:33:45)

#10 2022-01-29 02:27:34

BFIIKilla

Andrew, these are great! Thanks for making them and sharing. Sorry I don't know the Alk team, wish I did so we could get you guys in touch.

#11 2022-01-29 09:06:19

qazzaq

Andrew wrote:

It's a pity that I don't have the original model and its animation in Blender or MD5 format

May be this helps?

https://github.com/KozGit/Blender-2.8-M … port-addon
https://bitbucket.org/khreathor/mdl-for … /wiki/Home

#12 2022-01-29 15:25:54

Andrew

Thanks! I have similar converters. I tried to do the conversion. But when you convert an MDL model to an MD5 model, it is simply converted to a *. mesh file and does not have a skeleton with bones inside it. There is also no separate animation file (*.anim) on which all the movements of the character are built. When converting a model from MD5 to MDL, all animation files with bones, texture and the model itself are combined and transformed into one MDL file from which nothing can be extracted in reverse order. Separate source files are required.

#13 2022-01-29 23:44:37

Alex Ros

...respond to my topic?
Because 99% of talkin' happens on Quake discord. Rarely on QD forums

#14 2022-01-30 16:57:12

Greenwood

@Andrew

I see that you've posted a couple messages in the main Alkaline 1.1 post that I need to "pay attention" to.
I hope that I can answer both questions here!

Alkaline does not use external textures. Textures are entirely embedded within the map files of the game.
Also, Alkaline uses default Quake ogre head gibs, because they function and look perfectly fine in game.

If you wish to make your own custom content, then more power to you! However, that is entirely up to you.
We are steadfast in maintaining a uniform Quake texel density and an authentic Quake look of the models.

That being said, we do have a new Ogre Marksman model in the works, so if you have a little patience, then
you might soon have the capabilities to complete your project! :)

As far as posting the second January Jump Jam on the web goes, I posted it in the Quake Mapping Discord
and Func_Msgboard, as well as notified Spirit of the download link. It should be on Quaddicted very soon!
I didn't have time to create a teaser video on my YouTube channel or update the website yet, since the start
of this year has been extremely hectic. However, I ensure you that I will update the site soon.

Last edited by Greenwood (2022-01-30 16:58:27)

#15 2022-02-01 04:35:34

Andrew

Greenwood wrote:

@Andrew
I see that you've posted a couple messages in the main Alkaline 1.1 post that I need to "pay attention" to.
I hope that I can answer both questions here! ......

Thanks for the answer, Greenwood.

My wish was that you use all three ogre heads with three skins in your wonderful modification and not one as it is now. It's just that in the text of the source code the head of the ogre-marksman is not described anywhere, but only the original one. And I created my message so that you can see that the head for the third model does not work. I have been waiting for this innovation since the release of version 1.0. (((

Board footer