#1 2022-02-14 15:00:08

Andrew

Request for help in installing "*ent" files!

Greetings!

I ask for help from knowledgeable people!

I installed "*.ent" files for game maps on the "QSS 0.94.0" engine. Changed the music and skyboxes in them. But I ran into an incomprehensible problem. Half of the game maps do not perceive these "*.ent" files and the music and skyboxes in them remain the same. I even created several "*.ent" files myself using the "sv_saveentfile" console command in "Dark Places", copied them to "QSS". These files are also not perceived by the game. I also removed everything superfluous in the text and left only the first two conditions for the creation of the world and the appearance of the player.

Nothing helps!

Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

#2 2022-02-14 16:58:49

qazzaq

Re: Request for help in installing "*ent" files!

I tried to add new fog and liquids transparency to DOPA 2016 by this way but it is had no any effect.
https://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=62153
Obviously QSS ignores worldspawn entities in external .ent file despite You can change it via console after level loading.
You can simply rename favorite skybox accordingly specified in map's worldspawn (type in console "sky") but it will affected on all maps used the same skybox.
But... Why did You need it? :/P

What about music I don't know because I prefer listen game ambient instead music.

#3 2022-02-14 19:08:12

Andrew

Manually, the skybox is turned on via the console and the music also changes. When the level is reset, everything is reset. But the "*.ent" files work in half of the levels in all episodes. They work! I'm just tired of these two types of simple skyboxes - blue and purple. I wanted something nicer in the style of "AD". By the way, the standard episodes of the game use music tracks from numbers 4 to 11, the end of the level is track 3 and the game does not use tracks 0 and 2.

That's why I wanted to expand the potential of the game. Automatically and not manually with each level change.

#4 2022-02-14 20:18:11

Andrew

It turned out that not everything is as bad as I thought at first. "*.ent" files with forced music track numbers and other skyboxes don't work only at the levels: e1m1; 2; 4 and e2m2; 3; 7.

When I collect all this, I will add all the developments to my mini mod "Play_Q".

#5 2022-02-14 20:32:58

Gila

There's more to it now than just naming the external entities file MAPNAME.ent and placing it in correct place.

Quakespasm.txt wrote:

Changes in 0.94.0

o  External ent files are now versioned using 4 digit crc of the
     original map's ents, like e1m1@c49d.ent, which is much safer. The
     old method (e.g. e1m1.ent) still works but isn't recommended.

Now, as you can see, there are two ways of providing and naming the external entity files. But it seems that the "new" way with the crc in the name takes priority over the "old" file. Take a look in Quakespasm.pak file, maps folder, you will find these:

e1m1@c49d.ent
e1m2@0caa.ent
e1m4@958e.ent
e2m2@fbfe.ent
e2m3@237a.ent
e2m7@10a8.ent

Which apparently take priority over your files:

Andrew wrote:

don't work only at the levels: e1m1; 2; 4 and e2m2; 3; 7.

So the solution would be to use the new naming scheme for your .ent files - described in the documentation text file quoted above.

Last edited by Gila (2022-02-14 20:38:02)

#6 2022-02-15 07:10:50

Andrew

Thank you, kind man!

I renamed these files and everything worked! But how did you guess to look exactly in the PAK file?

Where else to get "*.vis" file for the level "e2m6mh" so that the water becomes transparent?

#7 2022-02-15 07:16:21

Gila

Andrew wrote:

Thank you, kind man!

I renamed these files and everything worked! But how did you guess to look exactly in the PAK file?

Where else to get "*.vis" file for the level "e2m6mh" so that the water becomes transparent?

Because Quakespasm has it's own pak file that has a few .ent fixes for a few maps, this has been like that for a while. But in ver 0.94.0 it is using the new names with crc as stated in documentation. That quakespasm.pak file also has a console background image.

#8 2022-02-15 07:24:24

Andrew

I saw this PAK file but didn't pay attention to it. Thank you for your help!

#9 2022-02-15 07:29:29

Andrew

qazzaq wrote:

I tried to add new fog and liquids transparency to DOPA 2016 by this way but it is had no any effect.
https://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=62153

I looked at the comparison screenshots. Could you tell me the settings (figures) of the fog level in your edition of "DOPA2016"? I liked it very much! And I made transparent water in all levels of the game using the "quake.rc" file with the "r_wateralpha 0.7" parameter.

r_lavaalpha 1
r_slimalpha 0
r_telealpha 1
r_wateralpha 0.7

#10 2022-02-15 07:55:25

qazzaq

All values are original from dopa 2021 and taken via console command:
fog
r_lavaalpha
r_slimalpha
r_telealpha
r_wateralpha

Last edited by qazzaq (2022-02-15 07:56:23)

#11 2022-02-15 17:21:28

Andrew

qazzaq wrote:

All values are original from dopa 2021 and taken via console command:
fog
r_lavaalpha
r_slimalpha
r_telealpha
r_wateralpha

And where can I download it, then this add-on "DOPA 2021"? There is no such supplement anywhere. And what is inside Q2021 is a regular version of the add-on.

And the meaning of fog can be written here? And then I don't know any normal fog options at all.

#12 2022-02-15 18:52:24

qazzaq

DOPA 2021 version is bundled with Quake enhanced and contains new second secret map. Maps of this episode all with fog and alpha values implemented.
Fog values You can specify  in console in any map as You wish and it will be applied immediately.
https://quakewiki.org/wiki/DP_GFX_FOG
Worldspawn fields:

"fog" (parameters: "density red green blue", example: "0.1 0.3 0.3 0.3")
"Colors <red> <green> <blue>, ranging from 0 0 0 (black) to 1 1 1 (white)"

#13 2022-02-15 20:32:00

Andrew

Thanks, I found the fog, but as soon as you turn it on, the skybox immediately turns gray. Very sad. (((

Board footer