#1 2022-02-28 22:59:52

Brendy_C

Under A Stone Blanket - a 5-minute crypt dive

The crypt-dwellers have been resting for centuries.

Time to wake up.

---------------------

A short blast through a disturbed tomb, where the dead have been hurriedly bricked up.

Download here (or view screenshots): https://archive.org/details/stoneblanket
Video flythough here: https://youtu.be/BdErVWDVRbQ

* 3-5 minutes playtime
* 4 secrets
* Necromancy of an unknown variety
* Normal & Hard modes supported

This was made with progs_dump (necessary files included). To run the map, unzip the stoneblanket folder to your Quake directory. Start Quake and use the console to type "game stoneblanket" and then "brendy3".

It's a 1024 map because I missed the last 1024 jam but wanted to do it as a fun exercise anyway.

Thank yous: This uses Makkon's textures, so big thanks for those. Thanks to Zaratzara, dumptruck_ds and TheSolipsist for playtesting and useful feedback. Credit for a water lighting trick goes to Makkon. Cheers to all members of the Quake mapping Discord for consistent community support.

Last edited by Brendy_C (2022-03-02 05:55:10)

#2 2022-03-01 03:29:21

triple_agent

Re: Under A Stone Blanket - a 5-minute crypt dive

I found 'Hard Driven' a lot more enjoyable, compared to this one. This one - 'Under a Stone Blanket' - I did not find really at all. It is cramped, convoluted, unnecessarily puzzling. Fortunately, it is not a long map - took me some eight or nine minutes to complete. I see how you experiment with breakables here - the option featured in mods such as 'Arcane Dimensions' or 'Progs_dump', that you use - but breakables, can easily be abused. Breakables, may bring an element of surprise, which is good only in moderation.

I always wonder when I see ghost-Scrags or any kinds of "ghosts", gib to meaty pieces.

Anyhow, at this point, 'Under a Stone Blanket' is a map worth of 2/5 rating to my consumership.

Last edited by triple_agent (2022-03-01 03:50:25)

#3 2022-03-01 05:35:03

Brendy_C

Thanks for playing and for the honest feedback!

#4 2022-03-01 17:38:41

Andrew

Can you upload the archive to a website where I don't need to register to download something? For example google disk or similar?

Everything is fine, I figured out how to download files without registration. You just need to look at the "zip" link at the bottom of the page, not at the top. )))

Last edited by Andrew (2022-03-01 17:41:23)

#5 2022-03-02 05:59:47

Brendy_C

Andrew wrote:

Can you upload the archive to a website where I don't need to register to download something? For example google disk or similar?

Everything is fine, I figured out how to download files without registration. You just need to look at the "zip" link at the bottom of the page, not at the top. )))

Yeah, the zip is definitely downloadable there to all, even if it's not immediately clear. I use Archive.org because it's plain and reliable, I don't think it's tidy to post finished maps using Gdrive. But! It's in the Quaddicted DB now (thanks mods!) for anyone else having trouble with Archive. So this might be better: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/stoneblanket.html

Board footer