#1 2022-05-23 00:03:49

jammer210

I need help zipping up files for my quake map

I can't figure out how  to zip up my map with a skybox and an original soundtrack.
I want it to be zipped so that all the files end up in the directories they are supposed to be in.

#2 2022-05-23 16:07:49

Spirit
Administrator

Re: I need help zipping up files for my quake map

What are all the filenames you need bundled and what engine(s) do you target?

#3 2022-05-23 16:54:59

jammer210

this map was made with quakespasm and trenchbroom. It works well with dark places too.
castle_attack.map
castle attack bsp
castle_attack.vis
castle_attack.prt

(sky box)
overcast_Bk.tga
overcast_Dn.tga
overcast_Ft.tga
overcast_Lf.tga
overcast_Rt.tga
overcast_Up.tga

(background music)

02.wav

#4 2022-05-24 03:22:38

dumptruck_ds

jammer210 wrote:

this map was made with quakespasm and trenchbroom. It works well with dark places too.
castle_attack.map
castle attack bsp
castle_attack.vis
castle_attack.prt

(sky box)
overcast_Bk.tga
overcast_Dn.tga
overcast_Ft.tga
overcast_Lf.tga
overcast_Rt.tga
overcast_Up.tga

(background music)

02.wav

You don't need the .prt or .vis files so skip those. .map is only needed if you want to share the source (which is a good practice but not neccessary.) So your .bsp goes in the player's maps directory.

So maps/castle_attack.bsp

sky box files go in a gfx/env folder

and your music goes in a music directory

here's some good info for you: https://youtu.be/eQ911Wphy0Q

#5 2022-05-24 16:03:23

Spirit
Administrator

If you can, please consider compressing the music to Opus, Ogg Vorbis or whatever modern engines support. And name it so that there is little chance of collision with other releases' files. A "02" surely sounds like many others might use the same filename.

#6 2022-05-31 06:22:23

Spirit
Administrator

Could someone share information how the music track would need to be compressed and named to work in the relevant modern engines?

#7 2022-05-31 11:33:50

Spike

If we go by DP_SND_FAKETRACKS then its eg "sound/cdtracks/track002.wav"...
But "music/track02.ogg" works with more engines (including DP+QS), and is generally the preferred/wider standard (use an extra digit for track numbers over 99 - the max supported by the vanilla network protocol is 255).
MarkV only allows "music/track02.mp3", but that doesn't mean other engines support it too.

(paths are mod-relative)

FTE+DP allow 'cd remap TRACKNUM FILENAME' in eg a mod's default.cfg, but most people won't use that.
FTE+QSS allow 'sounds=-1' with 'noise=FILENAME' in your map's worldspawn entity to specify named tracks instead of risking numerical conflicts (or just for user visibility).

Board footer