#1 2022-10-20 21:14:55

Rik

First Quake Map: The Tower of Doom!

Hey all! I am Rik, a Game Design & Production student at Breda University of applied sciences and for an assignment, I made my first ever Quake map, which you can find here: https://www.quaketastic.com/files/214165.zip

It takes a while to vis, since I unfortunately ran into some leaking issues that I didn't manage to resolve properly and so I just added a huge skybox around the level. Not the proper way of handling it I know, but, you know, deadlines. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

#2 2022-10-22 21:05:46

DMXneon

Re: First Quake Map: The Tower of Doom!

I think the layout of this map flows really naturally, always bringing the player back to the center areas with the lifts after activating a new one. I think the challenge level is good. Health, armor, and ammo all felt appropriately placed. I found both secrets, although I had to reload a previous save to get the second one, as it seems to be locked away if you hit a switch before getting it.

I enjoyed the part where rapid-fire nail traps locked me in an area with a Death Knight, I thought that was clever. And the final elevator felt like an appropriate challenge to end the level on, that was fun.

I won't harp on the leaking, or missing/misaligned textures, which I'm sure you know about, but that's probably my one big critique of this. Otherwise this felt like a pretty classic old-school Quake map. Well done!

#3 2022-10-25 11:33:29

Rik

Re: First Quake Map: The Tower of Doom!

Thanks so much for the feedback! The textures and leaking are definitely one of my big takeaways here: I approached it a bit messily from the start, which made it very difficult to go back and fix everything later. Definitely something to keep in mind for the future. Glad to hear you enjoyed it overall!

Board footer