#51 2021-12-09 11:23:39

bmFbr

Re: Alkaline 1.1: the Thanksgiving update :)

Andrew wrote:

I need help.
There are a lot of smart people here.

Can you tell me how much the model shifts in the game if the motion variable ai_run or ai_walk is registered in its "qc" file? For example, ai_walk (8) - is it in pixels, millimeters or some other values?

Why am I asking this? Editing the animation of the zombie running in the md5 model, I did everything very smoothly without jerks. But when I started the game, I saw that the model was twitching when running. I decided to look at the file "zombie.qc" and was very surprised by the large displacement of the model in the last frame of the run by 8 units! Half the night I tried to align the animation by shifting the model horizontally, but it still twitched. The final solution is either to change the "progs.dat" file by simply eliminating the displacement of the model in the last frame or by removing this frame, or to drop it all and leave it as it is. The old zombie models are also twitching in the original game. The use of a modified file is not necessary for everyone and mods have their own files and everything will twitch again.

A similar problem has been with the wizard since the release of the game - instead of 15 frames of hover animation, the developers used only 8 frames and the model twitches without completing half of the animation. I changed the wizard animation to take into account 8 frames, but it looks very poor. In the second option, I had to change the file "wizard.qc" again and increase the number of animation frames to 15.

Perhaps you may even have guessed this yourself by now, but that parameter in AI movement functions is the distance in units the monster will move on that frame - so, if you take into account that monsters' animations by default run at 10fps, you'll get 80 units/s.

I'm not familiar with the whole Blender -> mdl workflow, so I'm not sure if there's a way to "know" in Blender how many units a certain structure or distance will be translated to in-game. I'd guess is trial and error, but I'll let someone more experienced clarify that.

And yeah, it's a choice really - there's only so much you can do without having to change the animation frames themselves unfortunately.

#52 2021-12-09 14:41:48

Andrew

Thanks for the answer! Fortunately, I found a wonderful md5.mesh and md5.anim import-export module for Blender. It works with a 100% probability. I just see smooth movement in the animation and twitching in the game. But it's a shame to me that the original animation of the game was already incorrect when it was created! Maybe when animating on the old engine at 10 frames per second it was not noticeable but now it is very visible even with a slowdown in speed by 0.1 from the usual 1 unit!

#53 2021-12-14 04:54:23

Alex Ros

It's fun how long sometimes it takes to appear among maps in "maps" section. Sometimes it's real fast - map appears in new releases thread and in a week or so it appears among maps. While sometimes it takes forever. Strangely Alk 1.1 is still not among maps... hm

#54 2021-12-14 15:55:38

Mopey bloke

I've been trying to play this in the latest Quakespasm. I've noticed that the game will remember which stages people have completed and change the colour of the portals accordingly. This does not work for me. Any ideas?

#55 2021-12-14 22:30:45

bmFbr

Mopey bloke wrote:

I've been trying to play this in the latest Quakespasm. I've noticed that the game will remember which stages people have completed and change the colour of the portals accordingly. This does not work for me. Any ideas?

The maps will only show as completed if you start them through the hub. If you re-start the game and not keep it as a single, uninterrupted playthrough, or start a map directly through the console, it won't register as completed.

#56 2021-12-15 02:45:28

Mopey bloke

Thanks for answering. I never start maps from the console. I hope I won't miss something due to this.

#57 2021-12-17 21:53:20

Andrew

Hey, guys!

You have updated your developer kit to version 1.1, but unfortunately there is no source code in it. I really liked your super nailgun. I would like to use it with your permission but doing it without the source code is not very convenient. The developer kit version 1.0 had the source code.

#58 2021-12-20 21:13:02

bmFbr

Andrew wrote:

Hey, guys!

You have updated your developer kit to version 1.1, but unfortunately there is no source code in it. I really liked your super nailgun. I would like to use it with your permission but doing it without the source code is not very convenient. The developer kit version 1.0 had the source code.

Hey, sorry bout not seeing this earlier.
We didn't ship the source code with the devkit because it's available at our Github repo. Feel free to modify/reuse it as long as you give the proper credits

#59 2022-01-05 18:04:57

Escalate_krsk

Have just finished 4 new levels... Great! Wanted to know... the webpage mentions two more monsters I haven't met: Edie and Tormentor. Are those two in-game?

#60 2022-01-15 09:00:04

Andrew

Hi guys!

And again, I want to ask you for help with solving the issue listed in the link below, because I couldn't find anything on the Internet. Please, read the message #8.

https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewto … 6235#p6235

Last edited by Andrew (2022-01-15 09:01:28)

#61 2022-01-29 09:00:10

Andrew

Hello everyone!

I ask the developers of the "Alkaline" mod to pay attention to this topic:

https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1187

Last edited by Andrew (2022-01-29 09:01:06)

#62 2022-02-07 07:56:02

Andrew

Guys, do you know how to make monsters drown in the water as a player? I saw this in RMQ. I looked at the source files *.qc, found where it is written, tried to insert into the file "demon.qc", but nothing worked. Apparently, the variable "self.th_submerged = SUB_Null" is described somewhere else in RMQ which should activate the drowning of monsters. Compilation of files crashes with an error in a normal game. Apparently it is not described there. And where it should be described, I do not know because I am not an encoder.

#63 2022-02-21 18:22:19

Alex Ros

Andrew wrote:

Guys, do you know how to make monsters drown in the water as a player? I saw this in RMQ. I looked at the source files *.qc, found where it is written, tried to insert into the file "demon.qc", but nothing worked. Apparently, the variable "self.th_submerged = SUB_Null" is described somewhere else in RMQ which should activate the drowning of monsters. Compilation of files crashes with an error in a normal game. Apparently it is not described there. And where it should be described, I do not know because I am not an encoder.

trigger hurt with a flag for hurting mobs too or even mobs only

#64 2022-03-12 13:14:07

Tormer

The maps look fantastic, Compliments to the team developer!

#65 2022-10-05 21:10:22

Rudi

Quite sexy if im being honest

#66 2022-10-13 05:50:59

Rudi

BRO THESE MAPS ARE AMAZING
My nuts are quaking

#67 2022-10-13 10:09:56

triple_agent

Rudi wrote:

My nuts are quaking

Hope you need no medication for that.

#68 2022-12-07 14:27:23

Andrew

Greetings! There is a bug with a dog skin in your pre-release version of Alkaline 1.2. I describe how it happens. If a dog is hit with an axe or shot with a rifle, then the dog changes the skin to a bloodier one (skin 1). But if you kill a dog immediately by shooting it with a double-barreled shotgun, then the skin does not change (skin 0).

It is also unclear why a knight with a laser sword has a broken and bloody helmet when critically damaged (skin 4), and when the head flies off, the helmet is in perfect condition with golden glass.

I also hope that each of the four ogres will have their own head when their bodies are torn to pieces.

I hope that all this will be completed with the official release of the new version.

P.S.: Guys! I fixed the helmet skin of the hell knight with a laser sword (sabre knight). Now it looks bloody and broken. Dragged and adjusted the textures for the helmet from your original model.

Here is a link to my alterations, maybe you will like something else:
https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1318

Last edited by Andrew (2022-12-10 11:42:54)

#69 2023-01-02 06:44:06

Hepativore

There is a certain grittiness and ominous atmosphere that the base maps in Quake 1 have that Quake 2 maps lack. I think it is the fact that the greenish-brown/rusty textures combined with the overall feeling of dilapidation make the Quake 1 base maps very unique, not to mention that the snarling grunt monsters are basically humans that have been surgically lobotomized from what the Quake manual says.

The Alkaline map pack is one of my favorite Quake 1 maps ever made because of this. I hope there will be a sequel in the future.

If I may make a minor suggestion, it would add to the atmosphere of Alkaline if most of the weapons you get are looted from the bodies of fallen enemies like you can do with the lieutenant's super nailgun, as well as have it be the same way that you come across the various keycards you need in the levels. I.e. after kiling a tougher Alkaline soldier, you pick up a keycard when you pick up his backpack, implying some sort of command structure among the enemies in the level.

#70 2023-01-26 11:43:20

Macil

Mopey bloke wrote:

I've been having this issue too where completed portals don't ever change color while playing in the latest vkQuake. I've been keeping my same gamesave, just like I do with Arcane Dimensions which remembers completion state fine.
The vkQuake developers looked into it and say the issue is a bug in Alkaline: https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/issues/470.

#71 2023-01-28 01:41:34

bmFbr

Macil wrote:
Mopey bloke wrote:

I've been having this issue too where completed portals don't ever change color while playing in the latest vkQuake. I've been keeping my same gamesave, just like I do with Arcane Dimensions which remembers completion state fine.
The vkQuake developers looked into it and say the issue is a bug in Alkaline: https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/issues/470.

Yeah I'm aware of this bug, it'll be corrected in the next release. Thanks for the heads up though

#72 2023-03-10 15:42:53

qk

Hi,

I've just installed v1.2 and need help to make this bind work:

bind r "give 5" //last resort help

Cheers.

#73 2023-03-10 16:40:27

AwakeOnPhobos

qk wrote:

Hi,

I've just installed v1.2 and need help to make this bind work:

bind r "give 5" //last resort help

Cheers.

The give # commands for specific weapons don't work in Alkaline as per the manual. Do you want the bind to actually give you the SNG when you don't have it in your inventory? Or is it just supposed to switch to it when you've already picked it up? In the latter case bind r impulse 5 should do the trick.

As far as giving you weapons out of thin air, impulse 13 works, but that's for the entire arsenal.

#74 2023-03-10 18:25:45

qk

Hi,

I was looking for a way to get in when not in inventory.

Will try the other solution meanwhile.

Thanks.

#75 2023-03-17 11:04:38

qk

AwakeOnPhobos wrote:

The give # commands for specific weapons don't work in Alkaline as per the manual.

Is there any reason for this?

Cheers.

Board footer