#26 2023-03-05 14:22:07

Baker7

Re: "DarkPlaces Mark V" Release ==> Zircon Engine

@ anyone here ...

Does anyone know how to set the gun bobbing in DarkPlaces to be like original Quake?

If I do cl_bobmodel_side 0, the up and down bobbing is not the same "speed" as the original Quake.  It's too fast.

I want to at least be able to tell someone who isn't a native DarkPlaces user how to have it be like regular Quake without doing cl_bobmodel 0 to just turn bobbing off entirely.

#27 2023-03-05 14:31:21

Baker7

(hmmm no edit ...)

cl_bobmodel_speed 4 feels about right with  cl_bobmodel 0

It is little small things like this I want to address or have answers for.  This likely goes in the menu.

Bobbing:  Quake --> DarkPlaces --> None.

#28 2023-03-05 15:55:14

qazzaq

I have maybe some unusual question.
My discrete videocard have some light high frequency buzz wile zircon is running. Same issue I have in Ironwail. That`s the why I`m not using IW. Any of QS, QSS, vkQ, DP, FTE has not this issue. (My videocard is GF 1070GTX). Trying Quake on my laptop based on i5-7300u with iHD-620 this issue is appearing only on IW engine. Both on Win11. Any thouths?

#29 2023-03-05 20:10:05

jakub1

qazzaq - can you limit FPS via gpu driver app? I use AMD card and there is toggle in the Adrenalin control center that prevents from unnecessary load on GPU. It basically under-clocks GPU when you don't need more FPS. Nvidia should have something similar.

baker7 - thanks for fixing the music. As for the gun bobbing... it is a personal thing. I've set the weapon model so that it slightly sways sideways with the movement of the mouse and the gun is not fixed in one point. I like it.  It's a subtle effect.

and generally speaking - why I still use DP /if possible/ and not ironwail or QS? I like capabilities of DP when it comes to HD texture/model replacement. I love Quake gameplay, but it does not mean I have stick strictly to the pixelated graphics. I had my fair share of pixels in the 90s and now it's time to move on. Pixels in Q1 are not a dogma and hi-res textures are not a sacrilege. At least the good ones are not.  But above all, I like customizable particle system in DP. Q1 in all other classic/faithful engines is almost antiseptically clean. When the battle is over, I like to see an actual battle took place there.

ME163N5K_t.png

I know I've deviated from the topic a little... it's just that I've read a question on func_msgboard why you even bother with darkplaces. So.. there are still people who are using DP and as for me I really appreciate your work. Darkplaces is not dead.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-03-05 20:13:48)

#30 2023-03-05 20:56:09

qazzaq

Wow! I just try it on laptop. Setting 60 fps limit along with vsync on stops madly rush of laptop cooler and gpu buzzing! It works, Thank You, Jakub1!
And it is very good thing we have a lot of different Engines with various abilities. Such fast outstanding IW and vkQ has firm hardware limitation and zircon can change it I hope.

#31 2023-03-06 00:34:31

Baker7

qazzaq, glad thats solved.

#32 2023-03-06 09:30:40

qazzaq

Thank You, Baker. I always know that smart community will find the solution. I like the way it works. Thank you All!

#33 2023-03-06 17:28:05

Baker7

jakub1,

You might check and see if setting both of these to 99999 fixes the draw distance issue mentioned earlier with flags or decorations.

r_drawdecals_drawdistance
r_drawparticles_drawdistance

#34 2023-03-06 18:30:59

jakub1

Baker, I have already tried these two settings. They do not affect said decorations.

#35 2023-03-08 20:03:49

Baker7

Update to make DarkPlaces have the ability to look like a conservative Quake engine.

Options in the menu.  DarkPlaces normal behavior is the default.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/zircon-engine

And to be honest, after getting these changes done DarkPlaces felt like real Quake to me for the first time in a very long time.

And it was very actually very satisfying playing through some Quake levels with it.

In the next update, I expect to add a mouse driven menu like Mark V.

#36 2023-03-09 01:42:47

dumptruck_ds

Congratulations and welcome back Baker.

#37 2023-03-09 06:51:46

Baker7

Hey dumptruck!

When I took a look at q1 in December, I saw that you and Spirit were still active and I didn't need any more information than that.

#38 2023-03-09 12:20:49

Gnimpf

Support for rerelease, ad tears and other giant Maps Will be include in the future?

#39 2023-03-10 07:19:19

Baker7

It is on the list of things to investigate.

#40 2023-03-10 12:29:11

Gnimpf

good to hear! I've played Quake 1.5 with Zircon engine and it works perfectly!

#41 2023-03-10 13:59:52

Baker7

Gnimpf wrote:

good to hear! I've played Quake 1.5 with Zircon engine and it works perfectly!

Quake 1.5 helped me solve a CSQC mystery or 2 and hellped me understand some DP features that needed supporting work to use.

#42 2023-03-10 18:40:43

jakub1

Gnimpf wrote:

Support for rerelease, ad tears and other giant Maps Will be include in the future?

Problem with giant maps like ad_tears is caused by the existence of several protocols. There are many engines and a very little standardization. In the past, darkplaces did things in its' own way. I am not a coder, but from what I understood protocol defines, among other things, how many entities can engine load. DP has its' own protocol that should in theory handle extreme levels, but maps today have more and more entities in them up to the point when they exceed DP limits. Some of these limits are effectively unlimited, however in some cases it is still not enough. I don't know how up-to-date is this overview, but it can give you at least some insight as to how is DP in comparison with other engines.

https://quakewiki.org/wiki/Engine_Limits

The most advanced protocol today is protocol 999. Some big levels that require protocol 999 can be loaded in DP, but there are limitations. Ad_sepulcher works only due to hack that blocks some not-so-important entities /like torches/ when you try load that map in DP. Ad_ tears or updated map by Heresy from Alkaline 1.2 /alk_dismal/  can be loaded in DP but there are bugs like flickering entities/missing geometry... You can encounter invisible enemies or ammo boxes. Other levels simply wont load at all and crashes DP to desktop with out-of-memory error message - e.g. ad_heresp2.   

Another problem is engine optimization. I can use DP version from my post in this thread and load ad_tears. There will be bugs, but the levels "works" and the framerate is OK - round 50-60. With zircon I have only half of it. D2m8 from Dwell or Ball's level from Alcaline /alk_dancing/ is the same case.  On the other hand, Baker fixed some annoying bugs in DP. If you want to use DP than zircon fork of DP is a better choice for 95% of maps. Except for some really big levels it handles levels fine. For really big levels.... well ... ironwaill is a way to go here. Adding full support for protocol 999 into DP is probably not an easy task.

UPDATE

I've made mistake in the last paragraph. I used wrong map names as examples of what works in zircon and what does not. This is the correct version:

Another problem is engine optimization. I can use DP version from my post in this thread and load ad_tears from AD or alk_dismal from Alcaline. There will be bugs, but the levels "work" and the framerate is OK - round 50-60. Zircon won't load these levels at all. It crashes  to desktop. Ad_sepulcher should not work in DP or should have the same flickering entities if it were not for the special darkplaces hack. But it runs smoothly. Again, zircon fails to load that level. However, it does not crashes to desktop, only to console inside Q1. D2m8 from Dwell or Ball's level from Alcaline /alk_dancing/ runs in zircon but framerate is terrible. I have 40-60 fps in alk_dancing with DP, zircon oscillates around 30 FPS with dips to single digits FPS. D2m8 is similar story. On the other hand, Baker fixed some annoying bugs in DP. If you want to use DP than zircon fork of DP is a better choice for 95% of maps. Except for some really big levels it handles levels fine. For really big levels.... well ... ironwaill is a way to go here. Adding full support for protocol 999 into DP is probably not an easy task.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-03-10 20:16:14)

#43 2023-03-10 19:11:26

Baker7

All of this information will prove helpful.

#44 2023-03-10 19:38:40

Gnimpf

Can I suggest a thing that may sound "useless"? In Darkplaces maps with fog tend to "cover the sky" completely while in other engines like Quakespasm/Rerelease and others the sky is clearly visible. It would be cool to make this feature be optional

#45 2023-03-10 20:10:42

Baker7

Haha, that gets on my nerves too.  FitzQuake derivatives if I recall have a cvar that specifies how much the sky gets fogged and it is something like 30%.  Almost every engine that anyone ever serious about single player uses -- except DarkPlaces uses the FitzQuake fog system.

DarkPlaces came before FitzQuake and some mods like Nehahra were designed with DarkPlaces being a major target.

My preference is FitzQuake fog.

I'll look around.  I hadn't thought about that recently.

#46 2023-03-10 20:17:36

jakub1

I updated my last post - there were mistakes. Read it again please.

as for the fog. Try d2m4 from Dwell in ironwail. You will see how water on the horizon merges seamlessly with skybox in gentle fog. It is really nice effect. In DP the fog works differently and you can see strict line where the water brush ends and skybox begins. When you load that level in DP you will see a notice in console unknown command r_skyfog. DP does not support that feature.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-03-10 20:25:48)

#47 2023-03-10 21:26:07

Baker7

Wanted to check something out in Quake 1.5 ...

>gamedir quake15 // I prefer "game" but whatever

"Cannot change gamedir while client is connected .."

Adding to "fix" list.

#48 2023-03-11 17:07:02

Baker7

r_skyfog.png

#49 2023-03-11 19:54:14

jakub1

nice :)

#50 2023-03-12 15:47:29

Baker7

I found that starting DarkPlaces in fullscreen mode on Windows sometimes you have to click the mouse before DarkPlaces receives keyboard or mouse input.

I just resolved this.

Board footer