#26 2023-03-12 15:25:01

chad2

Re: Mod "Play_Q" rev.12 QSS+VK (21.03.23)

I totally missed the folder with models for vkQuake, sorry!

I got it running in vkQuake by first converting all image files to TGA, then placing all folders and files except progs.dat, vkquake.cfg and autoexec.cfg to PAK file. Models of items and enemies are updated.

However I get no shadows (it turned out to be by design as explained in https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/issues/296 post), models of dead foes won't gib if you shoot the body (though models gib if exploded like in vanilla) and nailgun hit particle effect is purple and very shiny and big (sorry can't make screenshot).

1. Is it correct that dead foe model should not gib when shot?
2. How to fix particle effect of Nailgun?

P.S. I'm using vkQuake 1.23. No issues with QSS 0.94.7.

#27 2023-03-12 20:14:53

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

...models of dead foes won't gib if you shoot the body (though models gib if exploded like in vanilla) and nailgun hit particle effect is purple and very shiny and big...

Friend, just download the link with the PAK file for VKQuake. There is a "progs.dat" in this PAK0.PAK file and it works in VKQuake. Put it in a folder, for example "VK", start the game "vkQuake.exe -game VK" and everything will work for you. Then the bodies will fall apart into pieces and there will be no purple flashes from nails.

By the way, no matter how hard I try, TGA HD-textures replace only regular textures at the level or BSP models, but do not work with MDL models in VKQuake. All these HD-textures must be in the PAK file, otherwise they will not work. The VKQuake engine, as well as KEX, sees files only inside the PAK file. As a result, you will get a huge PAK file with HD-textures. :(

If you don't use the "progs.dat" file, then you need to download the other particles from this link. Take from there the "particles" folder and the "k_spike.mdl" model from the "ID1/progs" folder (this is a standard particle shot in the form of a drop, not a sword).
https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1318

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-12 20:32:53)

#28 2023-03-13 06:40:02

chad2

Thanks for making PAK for vkQuake, Andrew, but if I use -game vk or just id1 folder (rename your PAK0.pak to PAK2.pak) I get this error when I go to episode 1 (entrance room works correctly, particles are loaded):
https://i.ibb.co/Gp4Lxht/vkQuake.png

I'm using vkQuake 1.22.3 (latest) and id1 folder from vanilla Quake. No custom CFG, etc.

#29 2023-03-13 14:25:29

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Thanks for making PAK for vkQuake, Andrew, but if I use -game vk or just id1 folder (rename your PAK0.pak to PAK2.pak) I get this error when I go to episode 1 (entrance room works correctly, particles are loaded):
https://i.ibb.co/Gp4Lxht/vkQuake.png

I'm using vkQuake 1.22.3 (latest) and id1 folder from vanilla Quake. No custom CFG, etc.

I overwritten the files, you need to download the archives.

Replaced the file "progs.dat", because in the source file "corpses.qc" there is a link to the non-existent model "gib1-1.mdl", which I do not use, but I forgot to remove the line. Oddly enough, my VK Quake of a similar version starts and works fine and does not write about the missing model.

Now this should help you launch the game.

#30 2023-03-13 14:55:25

chad2

Hey Andrew, unfortunately I still have the same error after trying new file. If I call game vk and go to any episode the gib1-1 error is reported.

BTW Andrew I checked out TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 on QSS and it's phenomenal! I hope you will update Play_Q to use it.

#31 2023-03-13 15:24:34

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Hey Andrew, unfortunately I still have the same error after trying new file. If I call game vk and go to any episode the gib1-1 error is reported.

BTW Andrew I checked out TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 on QSS and it's phenomenal! I hope you will update Play_Q to use it.

I have re-overwritten the files, you need to download the archives again.

Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot about another file. I replaced the file "progs.dat" once again, because in the original file "dog.qc" there is also a link to the non-existent model "gib1-1.mdl". If this fix does not help you launch the game, then just take and make a duplicate of the "gib 1.mdl" model in the "progs" folder and rename it to "gib1-1.mdl".

You can use the "U" version of the mod from Tribal. You can replace the models in it if you want. In the latest version, there are unique water splashes and particles that Tribal has been doing for a very long time and learning how to do it. But he never provided me with the source files, because this is not the final version, and I can't change anything in his modification. Now Tribal has abandoned its mod and YouTube channel. It's a pity. :(((

#32 2023-03-13 16:05:01

chad2

Hey Andrew, the latest upload finally works with vkQuake 1.22.3, however purple plasmagun-like splashes are there when nailgun hits something: https://i.ibb.co/PmTnZtY/Capture.png

Regarding TribalFX, that's a shame, however I noticed Tribal is active on Twitter and probably Instagram. Maybe we should contact him there so he could contribute? I really enjoyed weapon drops when corpses are blasted, as well as other fixes and tweaks to TrialFX you did! For some reason weapons disappear when enemy corpse is blasted if I replace models. Is it supposed to be this way?

Another quick question: would you kindly tell how to make foe corpses NOT disappear after a while?

#33 2023-03-13 16:15:45

chad2

Sorry, I meant how to make foe gibs NOT disappear after a while?

#34 2023-03-13 16:45:05

chad2

Hey Andrew, I have tested TribalFX 0.1T Fix 1 and it gives those purple splashes in vkQuake 1.22.3.

I then tested TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2, TribalFX 0.1U Fix 1 and just TribalFX 0.1U — all work correctly with vkQuake 1.22.3, no purple splashes!

I had to use player.mdl from TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 in all cases (Fix 1 and no-fix versions give error). Maybe this can be useful.

I provided links to all versions a mined at Tribal's YouTube channel in the other thread.

#35 2023-03-13 17:06:20

Andrew

I repeat again. If you do not use the file "progs.dat" and you do not have it in the file "pak0.pak", then the flashes from the nails will be purple!!! Why can't you understand that this is a modification. It must have its own "progs.dat" file, which is different from the original game file. Look at other mods, it's there too.

The absence of this file simply disables the TribalFX mod. It will just be a set of incorrectly positioned particles and models, and that's it! There will be no additional parts. There will be no dismemberment of bodies either. Nothing will work!  The presence of the file "progs.dat" is NECESSARY!

I added additional enemy parts myself and made these models. Tribal does not have these models in modification.

The disappearance of extra parts after death is a feature of the game engine, so as not to overload it.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-13 17:25:40)

#36 2023-03-13 17:15:20

chad2

Thanks for explanation, Andrew! I have progs.dat in both PAK0.PAK you supplied and I also extracted progs.dat from it and placed into vk folder and I start vk with game vk command: https://i.ibb.co/p1vGCPk/Capture.png

Still purple flashes in vkQuake 1.22.3…

#37 2023-03-13 17:34:50

Andrew

I forgot to say that the file that activates particles from explosions and shots is "effectinfo.txt " and if you don't have the "progs.dat" file, then it won't work properly. As a result, there will be purple particles from nails.

Here are the files and folders that must be inside the "pak" file in order for the modification to work correctly.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sOaiww … sp=sharing

I will explain in more detail so that you do not have any questions.
In the file version "effectinfo.txt ", which is in my modification, there are no effects of hitting nails "TE_SPIKE" for the Nailgun, they are the same as the effect of hitting a Sharlaf projectile. For Sharlaf, Tribal assigned the same effect - "TE_SPIKE", so they both have a purple color. In order for the Nailgun to shoot the correct color, in the source file "weapons.qc" the effects for the Nailgun have been changed and now it uses the effects from the Super Nailgun - "TE_SUPERSPIKE". All these source files are then compiled into the "progs.dat" file, which manages all these commands. If the file "progs.dat" is missing, then effects are applied.

There is also a second option. I will repeat the part of the message above.
If you don't use the "progs.dat" file, but do you want to have improved particles, then you need to download files from this link.
https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1318
Take from there the "particles" folder, "effectinfo.txt" file and the "k_spike.mdl" model from the "ID1/progs" folder (this is a standard particle shot in the form of a drop, not a sword). And don't forget that the particles are launched via the command line in the game "r_particledesc effectinfo". You can also create a file "autoexec.cfg" or "quake.rc" and add this line to one of them. See how it's done with me.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-13 19:31:51)

#38 2023-03-13 20:29:22

Andrew

I just tested my mod on a clean version of "vkQuake-1.22.3_win64". I added my "pak2.pak" file and HD-textures in TGA format to the "ID1" folder. Everything started without errors and crashes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oA5nh1 … sp=sharing

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-13 20:32:32)

#39 2023-03-14 05:15:11

chad2

Oh well thank you for in-depth explanation, Andrew, I do exactly what you said and still have purple flashes if I use PAK2.PAK (re-downloaded and renamed from 12.03.2023 release for vkQuake revision 11 FIX1 for "VKQuake" engine), even in fresh release of vkQuake 1.30.0 (https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases/tag/1.30.0). I have "r_particledesc "effectinfo"" in my autoexec.cfg. If I add particles folder and effectinfo.txt and k_spike.mdl from https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1318 to the same id1 folder (which contains pak2.pak) I still get purple flashes. However! If I remove PAK2.PAK and only leave mentioned particles folder and effectinfo.txt and k_spike.mdl in id1 then the nailgun works as it should! My folder structure is exactly as you described. I guess since both of us are sure we're correct it's better to wait for someone else to test it and report if there's any issue specifically in vkQuake!

P.S. I have noticed performance issue in TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 when used in vkQuake 1.22.3 and 1.30.0, i.e. I get a noticeable frame drop (from 60 to 42 in vkQuake 1.22.3 and from 60 to 51 in 1.30.0) in demo1 (in the very beginning when battling left ogre). QSS 0.94.7 has no frame drops.

#40 2023-03-14 05:25:25

chad2

OK, my bad, I tested PAK0.pak (renamed to PAK2.pak) in vkQuake 1.30.0 again and here's what the problem is: for some reason demo1 has purple flashes of Nailgun while the game itself doesn't! I mostly relied on demo1 previously in my testing. As of now the mod works as expected except demo1 (and probably other demos).

I have noticed an issue with config though: vkQuake won't remember video and graphics settings. This happens because config.cfg is present in PAK0.pak (PAK2.pak). Once I delete config.cfg from PAK2.pak in id1 folder, vkQuaker remembers settings. I think it's a bug worth investigating.

#41 2023-03-14 10:55:06

chad2

Hey Andrew, back to QuakeSpasm-Spiked version of Play_Q. I attempted to convert Play_Q 11 Fix to TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2. Here's the result (the file will self-destruct after a while, I'm sharing so you could have a look, please see doc/readme.txt for the steps I did): https://pixeldrain.com/u/PHNHpfcU

My question is, would you kindly tell if I'm correct that only two things are missing in this update because progs.dat cannot be updated:
- fixed bugs with the position of nails when firing from the "nailgun";
- added dropout of weapons, swords, an enforcer's backpack, an ogre's saw and various limbs when tearing monsters to pieces (in the style of the "AD" mod).

I'm asking because I have been comparing to regular Play_Q version 11 Fix 1 and I could not find any differences except the mentioned. But only you know what changes you did to TribalFX itself!

#42 2023-03-14 16:24:32

Andrew

In the main message of the topic, I described all the changes in an abbreviated form.

As for your points:
1. you can do it;
2.you can do it;
3.you can do it;
4. YOU CAN'T DO IT! These are also HD-models and they will exclude the effect of the second point. VK Quake will crash with an error due to the large number of vertices in the model. You need to use simplified models from "pak0.pak" for VKQuake!
5. As you like. But by default, "zom_gif.mdl" has a "zombie blood" trail, not a "gib blood" trail. This is done because this is the same gib used in mod when dismembering monsters into pieces. And VKQuak does not support MD5 models, but only MDL format. You don't have to copy them.

And if you use QSS, then all the points are correct. Although points 2 and 4 have the same "maps-bsp" files.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-14 16:31:29)

#43 2023-03-14 18:00:00

chad2

Thank you for clarifying everything! I will be using QuakeSpasm-Spiked with Play_Q assets and latest TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 because vkQuake's performance doesn't play good with TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2. Hope Tribal releases source for TribalFX someday so Play_Q can benefit officially.

#44 2023-03-14 19:07:59

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Thank you for clarifying everything! I will be using QuakeSpasm-Spiked with Play_Q assets and latest TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2 because vkQuake's performance doesn't play good with TribalFX 0.1U Fix 2. Hope Tribal releases source for TribalFX someday so Play_Q can benefit officially.

The only thing you won't have is additional monster drop-down pieces. I don't have the source files and I can't add anything to this mod. Another reason why I didn't use the mod version "U" is the flickering of the flashlight at a frame rate over 60. I told Tribal about this problem, but he didn't fix anything.

Oh, here's another thing! After VKQuake creates its config file, you can open my archive "pakXXX.pak", delete the QSS config file from there, resave it and you will have a new one resaved. I added a config file to the archive due to the fact that new "impulses" commands are written in it. When they are duplicated in the new config, the starter one will no longer be needed.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-14 19:17:32)

#45 2023-03-15 19:40:51

chad2

Thanks for additional explanation, Andrew, it's highly appreciated! You are correct regarding the flashlight bug. I have also found out the fish model should not be replaced in TribalFX since fish monster becomes invisible (at least in e2m3). I also got it regarding vkQuake, I'll see if I can come up with something to make it more straightforward since not many people are familiar with PakScape.

#46 2023-03-16 14:29:23

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Thanks for additional explanation, Andrew, it's highly appreciated! You are correct regarding the flashlight bug. I have also found out the fish model should not be replaced in TribalFX since fish monster becomes invisible (at least in e2m3). I also got it regarding vkQuake, I'll see if I can come up with something to make it more straightforward since not many people are familiar with PakScape.

This is because I don't like the model of the new fish and the fact that it hovers in the water column when it is killed. So I disabled this model and use the regular version. But this is easily fixable if you only use models to modify the "Tribal FX U" version and do not use the "progs.dat" file. Just copy the models listed below to the "progs" folder and the new fish will become visible:

deadfish.mdl
fish_new.mdl
h_fish.mdl
gib-fish.mdl

Here is the command in the description of the modification file:
float_fish = 0
Disable floating dead fishes. Makes the fish go to the bottom of water after his death instead of float in his place.
float_fish = 1 is the default (floating)

Also pay attention to the ogre model files. In the original modification, this is a different model and it uses additional models of skulls. Other monster models can be safely replaced.

h_ogre.mdl
ogre.mdl
skull1.mdl
skull2.mdl
skull3.mdl

Tribal - New ogre model (and skin) with three skulls in the back and a big metal "Q" in the front. Plus a new ogre head model.

Attention! The farlaf model in the Tribal modification has additional animation and the control file is not compatible with the model from Q2021. There will be wrong movements. Files need to be replaced:

h_shal.mdl
shalrath.mdl

Tribal - I made a breathing animation for the Vore model (shalrath)

In connection with the above, immediately after loading the level, be sure to open the console and see which files are missing, because they are not used in my build. For exmaple:

gib_explobox.mdl
laserlight.mdl
spark.mdl

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-16 16:10:11)

#47 2023-03-17 13:15:56

chad2

Hey Andrew, that's an awesome write-up, thank you so much for attention to details! I followed this to the letter and 0.1U Fix 2 build of Play_Q now works even better and I understand better what I'm doing. I like your Ogre model (rerelease port) more than TribalFX's but it would be cool if you added skulls and amulet to it as an alternative (the design of TribalFX's Ogre is nice but the quality of the model is no match to rereleased fixed by Ash1980). I'm not sure what's wrong with new Vore (haven't found this monster to see myself) so for now I'll stick with your model too.

BTW I noticed the file size is of ammo and medkit models is different in Play_Q 11 Fix 1 vs "Alternative HD models of medkits, ammo and exploding boxes 02.03.2023" (https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1350). The BSP files in the archive from "Alternative HD models of medkits, ammo and exploding boxes 02.03.2023" thread a slightly larger than those included in "Mod Play_Q_rev.11 FIX1 by Ash1980 (12.03.23)". I'm using larger files.

#48 2023-03-17 16:25:01

chad2

Hey Andrew, another quick question regarding using your progs folder contents (if you happen to have a spare minute). There're several file formats there. Is it correct to copy just MDL models to replace TribalFX progs models or I will be missing something (like animations)? I don't know the difference between MD5, MD5ANIM and MDL models in Quake, sorry, and I don't have a handy map to test monsters to see differences easily. I trust your experience and attention to detail thoroughly!

#49 2023-03-17 19:20:27

Andrew

You did everything right. The correct remark about MAPS models. In the Play_Q modification, they have a texture size of 480x480 and do not have bright pixels and do not glow in the dark. The updated MAPS models have textures with a size of 512x512 and glow as the original ones should. The original models in the game are made as full-fledged maps in BSP format. Like all objects on the game map. The models in my build I converted models from MD3 ("DarkPlaces") to MDL format and renamed them in "*.bsp". They have the property of ordinary MDL-models, such as shadows and lighting. In the near future I will replace them in my modification and something else.

Vore is the second name of the Shalraf monster. See the difference in the "shalraf.mdl" models.

Unfortunately, I am not a modeler and I will not be able to change the Ogre model. By the way, this is not my model, but from "Q2021". I just modified its clumsy animation.

About the MDL and MD5 models.
MDL models are converted and simplified MD2/3/5 models and they do not have a skeleton and separate animation files. And their geometry floats like a candle flame and is distorted in each of the frames. MD5 models have a skeleton and look more rigid in shape and it is easier for them to change the animation. In "QSS", use the extra video options to replace models and you will see a big difference. The MDL model has only its own file, and the MD5 model has vertex file "*.md5mesh", animation file "*.md5anim" and texture file "*.lmp".

P.S.: To view MDL models, download Quake Model Viewer (QMV v0.5.0 alpha) or Quake Model Editor (QME 3.1).

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-17 19:31:06)

#50 2023-03-21 13:13:53

Andrew

Mod updated to revision 12.

Link replaced (not music tracks).

Board footer