#51 2023-03-23 22:55:45

chad2

Re: Mod "Play_Q" rev.12 QSS+VK (21.03.23)

Hey Andrew, would you kindly make it clear if replacement models are supposed to be ON or OFF in menu? For example new armor and weapon models are only visible when toggle is OFF, but it is ON in config.cfg by default!

#52 2023-03-24 16:50:58

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Hey Andrew, would you kindly make it clear if replacement models are supposed to be ON or OFF in menu? For example new armor and weapon models are only visible when toggle is OFF, but it is ON in config.cfg by default!

Updated models of items and weapons only in MDL format (almost all weapons, read below). Turning the switch on and off won't help you.

Monster models in MDL and MD5 formats, as well as weapon models in the hands of the player "v_lava", "v_nail2", "v_shot2", because they are not buggy and are not replaced by other models. They look the same, but the models in MD5 format are more rigid and are illuminated a little differently, and also do not lose geometry during animation. In order for the models in the game to be in MD5 format, it is necessary to turn the switch to the "on" position.

#53 2023-03-24 21:50:14

chad2

Thanks for explanation, Andrew, that's exactly what I see. Is there a reason some item models (i.e. armor) are not updated to MD5? It looks like a fairly straightforward solution to do this already exists (haven't tried yet) — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2DhsroPvGc

#54 2023-03-24 23:30:55

chad2

P.S. It looks like armor item models are the updated ones from KEX Quake when switch of model replacements is OFF, while it's some old model when switch is ON. Maybe it's planned for future updates!

#55 2023-03-25 11:33:05

Andrew

I repeat once again that I don't make models and I don't know how to do it, but in order to make an MD5 model from an MDL model, you need to add bones to the model and animation. In response to the video, I inform you that these models were converted in this way, and I did it in parallel from the OJSC user, but posted it only on this site much later, because I have been refining their animation and position in space for 4 months.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-03-25 11:33:56)

#56 2023-03-29 15:00:06

chad2

Thanks for explanation, Andrew! I'm asking because I'm not sure armor items should have some special animations and "bones". I thought those models can be easily converted from MDL to MD5 so new armor models worked in Replacement Models ON.

#57 2023-03-29 16:55:57

Andrew

No offense, but I won't convert anything to MD5 format, because importing MDL models into Blender and trying to just save it to MD5 format, I'm guaranteed to get the error of missing bones in the model. This is because in addition to the "md5mesh" file, there is also the "md5anim" file, which is based on the pose mode when activating the model armature. If it is not there, then there is no animation. But there is a guaranteed error. You can try to do these operations yourself in Blender. If you know how to work in Blender, convert the models that you need. I will only be glad of your success and contribution to the common cause. Armor models from modifications are always updated, regardless of the position of the "ON"-"OFF" switch, unless of course you disabled the original models by adding the "-" symbol to the file name, for example, in the archive "rak0.pak" (if we are talking about "Quake Enhanced"). In "QSS" you don't need to edit anything at all, just create a "progs" folder and throw new files into it.

#58 2023-04-04 16:10:10

chad2

Hey Andrew, you stated "Armor models from modifications are always updated, regardless of the position of the "ON"-"OFF" switch, unless of course you disabled the original models by adding the "-" symbol to the file name, for example, in the archive "rak0.pak" (if we are talking about "Quake Enhanced")." I've tested vanilla Play_Q version 12 with QSS 0.94 and vanilla id1/pak0.pak file, I see old armor models when replacement models is toggled on, is it supposed to be this way?
Capture-1-Replacement-Models-On
Capture-1-Replacement-Models-Off

#59 2023-04-04 16:45:00

chad2

I have managed to get this updated armor models to work in Play_Q with Replacement Models ON only after I opened id1/pak0.pak and renamed all progs/armor* files to progs/-armor*. This finally disabled the old model (the one in first screenshot). Otherwise it doesn't work.

Unfortunately it makes pak0 incompatible with Quake Enhanced.

I have also tried using md5anim file with converted md5mesh (I used Noesis to convert updated armor.mdl) but I got the missing bone error as you stated before.

#60 2023-04-04 17:05:25

chad2

Same for keys, had to rename all so this would work with id/pak0.pak from Quake Enhanced re-release:
- progs/armor.md5mesh
- progs/b_g_key.md5mesh
- progs/b_s_key.md5mesh
- progs/m_g_key.md5mesh
- progs/m_s_key.md5mesh
It looks like this happens because Quake Enhanced's pak0.pak file contains MD5 models (which are essentially replacement models) for those items and Play_Q provides just MDL (non-replacement models).

#61 2023-04-05 13:40:01

chad2

Actually w_g_key.md5mesh and w_s_key.md5mesh have to be renamed in Quake Enhanced pak0.pak as well.

Hey Andrew, do you happen to have this model?
GL

#62 2023-04-05 15:52:55

Andrew

If you are interested, then everything you do is described in detail in my other topic. Yes, disabling some MD5 models in my build for Q2021 was a forced measure, since I did not have improved models in this format and I replaced them with models in MDL format. In Q2021, the authors slightly improved the "base" key model in MD5 format, but the "medieval" and "wizard" key models remained the old low-poly (unchanged). This applies to many other item models in Q2021. You can rename and include any models you want in "pak0.pak", but be sure to use the warning rule that I wrote below.

https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1217

I quote the text:
WARNING: Due to the fact that the game does not allow you to change the size of the archive "pak0.pak", then no files can be deleted from it, you can only rename them! Disabling any files was done by me by adding a dash to the file name. To include the file back, you need to remove the dash at the end of the file name and overwrite the archive "pak0.pak". If the archive "pak0.pak" has a size other than 175,868 KB, the game will not start. Disabled and renamed only those models that additionally have MD5 format and are guaranteed to overlap with the modified models in MDL format and will not allow them to be activated (archive "pak1.pak"). Additional archives "pak1.pak" and "pak2.pak" can be changed as you like and allow you to add and delete any files.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-05 16:01:00)

#63 2023-04-05 16:13:43

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

... Hey Andrew, do you happen to have this model?

What model? A grenade launcher or a grenade? To be honest, they are in any HD build of "Quake Epsilon" for "Dark Places". But these models are in MD3 format.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-05 16:21:04)

#64 2023-04-06 22:55:15

chad2

Hey Andrew, thanks for warning, I'm using QSS but I have only re-released pak0.pak, so something doesn't work out of the box because re-release pak0.pak has MD5 models already. But I got it sorted using PakScape.

I downloaded awful Dark Places Epsilon and tested models of guns in QSS after converting their textures. Grenade launcher is nice but texture is poor. Maybe you can improve the texture if you like (I like the animation) - https://pixeldrain.com/u/qjedLBYf Other guns are meh.

Do I understand correctly I cannot use textures larger than 512x512 in QME? I tried larger but height resets to 512 always.

#65 2023-04-08 10:02:11

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

...I downloaded awful Dark Places Epsilon and tested models of guns in QSS after converting their textures. Grenade launcher is nice but texture is poor. Maybe you can improve the texture if you like (I like the animation) - https://pixeldrain.com/u/qjedLBYf Other guns are meh...

Done!

https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1366

By the way! I was very surprised when I uploaded the HD texture to the file "*.lmp" 1024x1024x24bit for the MD5 model and it loaded wonderfully both on the "QSS" engine and on the "KEX Q2021" engine!

The conclusion is this. The "KEX Q2021" engine does not support external textures for maps, does not support textures over 480x480 pixels for MDL models, but contains any textures for MD5 models if they are placed inside the "*.lmp" file!

Here is a picture of an illustrative example:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AAO_ok … sp=sharing

#66 2023-04-08 21:25:39

chad2

Hey Andrew, I replied in other thread regarding models. Do you say it is now possible to use 1024x1024 textures in QSS and KEX Quake Enhanced as soon as the textures are placed into LMP file? The Ogre looks sick.

#67 2023-04-09 19:29:04

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Hey Andrew, I replied in other thread regarding models. Do you say it is now possible to use 1024x1024 textures in QSS and KEX Quake Enhanced as soon as the textures are placed into LMP file? The Ogre looks sick.

Блин, ну дела...

This is just an example of using an HD-texture that I had, you can use a larger size. Use what you like.

#68 2023-04-10 00:50:20

chad2

Did you read me correctly, Andrew? Ogre on the left looks very good and it is great news if it's possible to do this to other models of KEX QE using LMP files.

#69 2023-04-25 21:10:00

chad2

Andrew wrote:

Attention! The farlaf model in the Tribal modification has additional animation and the control file is not compatible with the model from Q2021. There will be wrong movements. Files need to be replaced:

h_shal.mdl
shalrath.mdl

Tribal - I made a breathing animation for the Vore model (shalrath)

In connection with the above, immediately after loading the level, be sure to open the console and see which files are missing, because they are not used in my build. For exmaple:

gib_explobox.mdl
laserlight.mdl
spark.mdl

Too bad Shalrath model of Quake 2021 cannot be fixed without quake.rc source of later Tribal versions, thanks for explanation.

#70 2023-05-16 20:55:20

chad2

For anyone experiencing difficulties with End map being broken, make sure you don't accidentally put end.vis to maps folder (it's not in Play_Q package currently but I had this wrong file in maps folder for some reason).

I have completed every level of Play_Q successfully, thanks Ash1980!

Board footer