#26 2023-04-17 18:06:19

jakub1

Re: Zircon Alpha 10 "DarkPlaces Mark V" With Mouse Driven Menu

Hi Gnimpf, I played DoTM with Darkplaces engine with extra DP patch from quakeone.com forum. DoTM was playable from the start to the end.

link - https://quakeone.com/forum/news/quake/2 … post283403

#27 2023-04-18 05:14:46

Gnimpf

Does It works Aldo in zircon engine?

#28 2023-04-18 05:15:11

Gnimpf

*also

#29 2023-04-18 11:41:50

Gnimpf

Just tested in Zircon, but the DP and the universal version and while it now works: it's veeeery slow and messages doesn't appear at alll

#30 2023-04-18 14:51:21

jakub1

I've just tried DoTM in Zircon both with DP and Universal pak file from my link above and result is the same. Levels work, there are some glitches like flying pieces of geometry... real bizarre stuff and of course there are these broken messages. There are some bugged moving platforms that block progress. Noclip is needed form time to time.

speedwise...well.. I would say half of the levels work fine with FPS aroung 60, the rest run like s**t.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-04-18 17:09:08)

#31 2023-04-25 16:20:46

jakub1

I edited my post number 22 on the first page. I added more details about Zircon compatibility with Q1 remastered and there are some examples of visual glitches in several levels at the bottom of that post.

#32 2023-06-01 15:24:47

jakub1

Hello everyone

Baker did not update this thread so I have completely missed several new versions of Zircon released over moddb.com.

Good news first:
- Forgotten Sepulcher works in the latest version of Zircon, hurrah!
- Baker also rearranged menu so that it is more logical now. For example level list only shows  real playable levels, no pieces of level   geometry in bsp format (ammo crates etc..)
- you can adjust color and alpha of crosshair in menu. However, there is no slider to adjust size of the crosshair so you still need to go to console if you are not OK with the initial size.
- there are other fixes in the changelog

and now the bad news:
- problematic levels mentioned in my post on the 1st page are still disfunctional - ad_tears and other monster levels
- visual glitches from the same post are still here too.

Still, it's a progress nonetheless and the direction is good. Thanks Baker.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-06-01 15:28:23)

#33 2023-06-01 22:19:46

Gnimpf

great! making work forgotten sepulcher is great news even if the levels listed by jakub1 don't work atm: anyway is still in alpha so in the future more great features await us i hope. my wishlist:

- full compatibility with quake rerelease including all its official addons including Quake64
- mod menu (maybe similar to the one used in Ironwail port)
- an integrated RTlights editor like one I saw some years ago but forgotten the name of the program and the author, I only remember It
was uploaded on quakeone.com
- fix bug on Zestorer level "True Love Waits" (when you pick up Sanguinoch the game crashes after it kills some monsters)
- fix bug on Operation Ourth Majik fonts
- an integraded .lit editor that works like the RTlights one but instead add external .lit files so you can make .lit files manually instead of using programs that at 99% gives a bad result
- even more faster loading time and better performance overall

#34 2023-06-02 05:51:55

jakub1

RTlights editor was made by Nahuel. I can upload it later today.

#35 2023-06-10 20:49:48

jakub1

Hi Baker, not sure if you are still here, but hope you check this thread from time to time. I have another question/suggestion regarding possible Zircon features. Would it be doable to add into Zircon on-the-fly switching between vanilla and HD textures?

Working on the new texture pack and to have an option to instantly turn on/off hd textures would greatly speed-up my workflow.

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-06-10 20:54:33)

#36 2023-06-15 19:45:06

Baker7

Yeah, I'm back.  I've been focused like laser to finish a Quake3 mapping set for DarkPlaces/Zircon.

I'll need to catch up on my reading a bit.

> Would it be doable to add into Zircon on-the-fly switching between vanilla and HD textures?

FitzQuake I actually wrote a feature like that.  FitzQuake however was designed for fast video mode switch and carefully planned out for that.

DarkPlaces it has to restart the renderer and reload everything, making this idea basically unworkable.

#37 2023-06-16 18:35:50

jakub1

Hi Baker

Thanks for clarification regarding the bugged JPG textures. Latest distribution of zircon works fine. Great. Please, have you looked at the lengthy post #22 on the first page of this thread? There are some other examples of strange quirks of dp/zircon. Just for inspiration what to add into zircon.... someday.. maybe...

As for the disappearing objects that were also mention over moddb:
It happens quite frequently, even in smaller maps that are otherwise almost vanilla-id1-sized. I can give you two examples. The first one is from recently released map pack Time to belog. There is a button that disappears at certain distance. I took a picture illustrating how it happens. Button starts to flicker and than it is gone. I changed fov to 10 so that the details are visible. Link to quicksave file to that very spot is here.

ME16HZX2_t.png

Second example is from mapjam9. Screen is from level jam9_kell. There is a gate-like structure floating in the middle of the starting section of the level and in the middle of the gate is teleport. Or to be more precise teleport should be there. Again, it gradually disappears when the player crosses a certain distance from the gate.

ME16HZX1_t.png

setting sv_cullentities_nevercullbmodels to zero does nothing.

----------------------------

unrelated note: ironwail now supports animated skyboxes via shader file. So far it is used only in the new episode Deathmatch dimension. It looks great and I think it will be quickly adopted by mappers. Would be nice to have support also in zircon. The shader itself is simple, just one line - eg. skywind 1.3 127 15 -7. Of course no idea how difficult is to ad support on the client side.

last question - custom hud. Alkaline uses that feature but dp/zircon refuses to load Alkaline unless I manually delete csprogs.dat file from mod directory. Is there a way how to load custom hud in Alkaline?

jakub

Last edited by jakub1 (2023-06-16 18:40:44)

#38 2023-06-16 18:53:09

Baker7

I'll be investigating those.

I think the #1 priority will be the disappearing buttons.  I don't like the sound of that all.

DarkPlaces has a lot of things going on, and I have spent a lot of time on other aspects of DarkPlaces that I think could be improved from the user experience, I still have not implemented a scaling solution that I like entirely for instance.

I am close to having a handle on those types of issues, so I will have more time to continue investigation of issues with newer maps.

#39 2023-06-16 18:57:45

Baker7

I also want to add that some of the features I have added will make these kinds of investigations easier.

tool_inspector 1, for instance, can allow me to visually identify an entity.  I can then type "edict 77" in the console and see the info.  Or I can scan for an entity like "edicts teleport" which will display all the entities with "teleport" in the classname or "edicts targetname door1" and see entities with door1 in their name.

#40 2023-06-28 05:04:25

Baker

I've been looking over things listed here.

I did a small update with mousewheel support for the maps menu and some other minor things I noticed in the user interface.  I'm trying to come up with a plan on examining some of these QuakeC / gameplay errors.

I imagine I will add crosshair scale to the menu in the next one.

#41 2023-07-01 22:51:51

Baker

Gnimpf ...

Here is a rtlights editor thread ...  the download still works.

https://quakeone.com/forum/quake-mod-re … -edit-tool

#42 2023-07-03 04:42:36

Baker

DarkPlaces seems to have a built-in rtlights editor already?

I'm using it right now to play around.

r_editlights 1

I don't even need csqc.

#43 2023-07-21 17:34:02

jakub1

Hi Baker, I tested the last version of Zircon with ReMobilize mod and found a strange bug. Mod features a hook that can be launched and attached to the light panel. Mod should work like this - move cursor over the light panel in the distance, cursor changes to the big red cross, press RMB to launch the hook and as long as you hold RMB you are moving towards the light panel.

And now Zircon:

in the start map of the mod - when you press RMB player does not launch the hook, but game shows a thunderbolt lighting beam from the player position towards the light panel instead of the hook/rope model. But the beam functions like a hook, so at least it works.

in any other map of the ReMobilize mod - pressing RMB launches a hook (and it looks just like in Ironwail, the hook model is OK), but the hook only reaches a certain distance and than it disappears. You need to press RMB repeatedly to ensure the hook reaches the light panel and than the hook starts to attract the player to the light panel. But again, while you are attached to the light panel you need to frantically smash the RMB like a madman otherwise the hook disappears, connection to the panel is lost and you are falling down. It is weird.. you can get used to this hook behavior, but it makes some puzzles almost impossible.

another finding - rm_heretics.bsp wont load. It is our good old friend Mem_Alloc: out of memory. Level is too big... protocol 999 again.

#44 2023-08-05 06:16:37

Baker

Jakub1, as always I appreciate the information.  I was able to experience some of the stuff Gnimpf told me about coronas.

I am in code rage mode.  I will not be posting often because the slider setting is at 10 "All resources devoted to coding".

This message brought to you by a delicious alcoholic beverage.  The only time Baker's code rage is forced to yield to chatty Baker.

Board footer