#26 2014-01-10 01:40:05

Tronyn

Re: Quaddicted Suggestions

The four screenshots/images on the front page have been messed up (at least in Firefox) for a while now, what's up with that?
Also, think about what I said on the Articles section. I'm really busy right now (and trying to finish more levels), but I'd be willing to contribute content.

#27 2014-01-10 19:22:06

jackieben

Infinite float pushing the pictures off the screen :D

#28 2014-01-10 20:39:09

Icantthinkofanickname

How about a link on the frontpage, visible to registered users, to this user activity log: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/log.php? As fas as I can tell, it is not linked anywhere (I personally have it bookmarked on my primary computer, but can never remember how to find it when I'm away from home) and I'm not sure how many registered users are even aware of it.

#29 2014-01-10 20:44:27

Icantthinkofanickname

Also, if the idea has not been dropped forever, I'd like to renew my request for the feature suggested here: https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=84

#30 2014-01-10 22:10:30

Icantthinkofanickname

negke wrote:
  • Fix or workaround for the author links on map pages. Currently, names with multiple words make the filter either only search for the first word or replace spaces and special characters so that it returns zero results.

Somewhat related: it would also be great if authors names were clickable on the main map page (https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/), as opposed to just on individual map pages.

It is of course not hard just to go to an individual map's page and then click on the author, or to type the author's name in the search box (just like it is not hard to retype names manually in the case of the issue mentioned by negke) -- but having clickable author names on the main map page would make the search process smoother, I think (just like having the problem negke mentions fixed would improve the experience).

Provided it's not a pain to implement, of course.

#31 2014-01-10 22:56:32

jackieben

Icantthinkofanickname wrote:

How about a link on the frontpage, visible to registered users, to this user activity log: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/log.php? As fas as I can tell, it is not linked anywhere (I personally have it bookmarked on my primary computer, but can never remember how to find it when I'm away from home) and I'm not sure how many registered users are even aware of it.

Yeah, I've also been searching for a link to that a lot, until I realized I should memorize it

#32 2014-02-05 21:06:32

Icantthinkofanickname

Tags are really useful in aiding search results, and it is on balance a good thing that users are able to add tags – as long as they are accurate and descriptive.

One of the main problems with the current open, unfiltered and unmoderated tag system arises when people start adding evaluative tags, as has happened over the past couple of days when two users started adding the tag “mustplay” to several of their favourite maps. While I am sure this was done with good intentions and while I appreciate their enthusiasm, there are at least two reasons why this is a problem in my view:

a) It serves no purpose. The quality of a given map is already expressed by the users' ratings and comments, and the editor's rating (and sometimes description).

b) It is not fair to other users. As I said, I am sure this was not done with malicious intent, but by adding evaluative tags, these two users are effectively forcing their opinion on everyone else. If they wish to express their passion for their favourite maps, they can rate and comment just like everybody else, where others are free to agree or disagree and express their own views.

Therefore, I would suggest

1. Introducing a policy of no evaluative tags (i.e. no tags such as “stupid”, “brilliant”, “crap”, “mustplay”, etc.).

2. Enforcing the above policy by making it possible for the administrator and moderator to edit and remove tags. The tags can then be reviewed periodically and evaluative tags as well as obvious typos and misspelled words can be removed or corrected.

Perhaps in addition to “Add comma-separated tags:”, map pages could say “Please do not add evaluative tags” or "Please keep tags descriptive", possibly with a link to a page that explains the tag policy and gives examples of evaluative vs. descriptive tags.

#33 2014-02-05 22:14:39

Tronyn

I'd also like to bump my earlier suggestions re: the Articles page, and volunteer some services to help on that later this month, when I get time, if needed.

Also could you add Necros' review here:
https://shoresofnis.wordpress.com/2010/ … s-of-pain/
And my history of the maps here:
https://www.quaddicted.com/articles/a_h … ronyn_2009
To "Additional Links" on the Roman Wilderness of Pain map page?

#34 2014-02-06 01:10:14

dBAudio

i'd like to be able to re-rate a map. i've replayed a few & wondered why i rated it one way or another. perhaps i'm better now, or drank too much then.

i'd like access to the speedmap events in the quake injector. only a few show up. yeah, i can do it the 'old-fashioned' way, but i love the quake injector!

Spirit, thanks for everything.

#35 2014-02-09 14:23:19

Icantthinkofanickname

One of the main problems with the current open, unfiltered and unmoderated tag system arises when people start adding evaluative tags, as has happened over the past couple of days

Amazingly, one user is STILL doing this and steadfastly using tags instead of ratings/comments: this person's user profile shows 1 rating, 3 comments and 175 (!) tags, many of which are subjective/evaluative.

I would have put this down to a simple misunderstanding, but this is continuing AFTER onetruepurple, Ijed, MikeTaylor and I asked the user in question to stop and after Ijed provided a very clear explanation why. It is really starting to become annoying.

Perhaps in addition to “Add comma-separated tags:”, map pages could say “Please do not add evaluative tags” or "Please keep tags descriptive", possibly with a link to a page that explains the tag policy and gives examples of evaluative vs. descriptive tags.

Should you decide to go this route, I have prepared a potential tag policy explanation. It's all common sense, really, but evidently one cannot depend on common sense. Obviously feel free to use this, modify it or ignore it, as you see fit:

-----------------------------------------------

Tag policy

The purpose of tags is to help users search for maps that share certain features. Please keep tags descriptive and accurate.

DO NOT add evaluative or subjective tags. If you want to express your opinion about a map, you can rate the map (from 1 to 5) and/or leave a comment.

Examples of acceptable tags:

Texture set or theme: "wizard", "castle", "base", "realism", "daikatana", "hexen", etc.
Size: "small", "medium", "large", etc.
Dependencies: "quoth", "drake", "soa", etc.
Map type: "speedmap", "turtlemap", "remix", "remake", "dm",  etc.
Technical features: "limits", "source", "monsters", etc.
Homages or references to earlier maps or games: "Doom", "e1m1", etc.

Examples of unacceptable tags:

"crap", "poor", "avoid", "rubbish", "masterpiece", "recommended", "perfect", etc.

-----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Icantthinkofanickname (2014-02-09 17:27:44)

#36 2014-02-09 16:46:28

Spirit
Administrator

That's a great template, thanks! https://www.quaddicted.com/help/tagging_policy

I also enabled uppercase characters now as well as _ and -

#37 2014-02-09 17:35:40

Icantthinkofanickname

Thank you, Spirit. Here's hoping that does the trick.

#38 2014-02-10 20:19:06

onetruepurple
Banned

Good yob Spirit, now I get this error every time I try to add a tag:

only A-Z, a-z, 0-9, _ and - are allowed in tags. please go back and try again

Also, a suggestion: Have the link to the policy pop up only after the user clicks the text field.

Last edited by onetruepurple (2014-02-10 20:20:08)

#39 2014-02-11 11:06:40

Spirit
Administrator

Oops... Should work again, I did not test tags with _ or - yet though.

#40 2014-02-11 20:09:14

Spirit
Administrator

And I reverted to lowercase only. Mixing in uppercase would just create duplicates.

#41 2014-02-15 16:56:11

Tronyn

Found another article to link to for the articles section:
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/quake-s … rong/49229

#42 2014-03-04 23:08:37

dBAudio

i really like Icantthinkofanickname's comments. perhaps he could do 'reviews' if the map pages had a 'review' section.

#43 2014-03-04 23:16:13

dBAudio

Cocerello & MikeTaylor post decent comments as well. maybe they could be included. maybe a review section or something. or a 'second opinion' to the editor comments. but, i guess that's what comments are for, but their comments leem to have more info/insight. i know Tronyn does reviews too.

#44 2014-03-05 18:06:35

Icantthinkofanickname

Wow, thanks for the compliment, dBAudio.

Why do you presume I'm male, though? :-)

Last edited by Icantthinkofanickname (2014-03-05 18:08:06)

#45 2014-03-08 16:33:52

jackieben

He(She?) had a 99% chance of being right, statistically speaking
And I agree that you post right, your posts are informative, they can make us interested in a map, and if you have time they are even short enough :)

#46 2014-03-09 13:32:11

Icantthinkofanickname

Thank you, jackieben (hmm, not so sure about those statistics. Is the Quake SP community really that male-dominated? Hard to say).

Your and dBAudio's remarks are very flattering. I enjoy reading your and dBAudio's comments as well, and you occasionally provide very interesting background information (e.g. on Koumei Satou and DAV: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/wca.html, https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/qktower.html ).

I really like Cocerello's comments too (and have written as much, although I do not know if Cocerello ever saw my response: https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/kinn_bastion.html ).

As for MikeTaylor, there sometimes seems to be some friendly, light-hearted rivalry going on between us, but I appreciate his comments too (even though we often have almost diametrically opposed views on maps).

dBAudio, in response to your suggestion: although I doubt I can hold a candle to (current and ex-) reviewers such as Tronyn, [Kona], Underworldfan and Shambler, if there is really sufficient interest, I am willing to give it a go. I do not have nearly the same extent of knowledge as these reviewers (or Spirit or negke, who are responsible for the editorial comments, as far as I know), but maybe I could sometimes provide an alternative opinion. Let's wait and see what other users have to say; in the mean time, I'll just enjoy the kind words. :-)

Last edited by Icantthinkofanickname (2014-03-09 13:34:22)

#47 2014-06-02 19:27:07

Cocerello

A short one.

How about adding tags such as ''easy'', ''hard'', ''impossible'' ... to the list of unacceptable tags? They are evaluative and subjective like the other unaceptable ones, because they are dependant on how each player sees the map and can even change each time the same person plays them, aside from the fact that what is hard for some is easy for others, or impossible or anything else: you don't get any useful information from those kind of tags. Thats why i compare the maps with ID ones on comments about difficulty, it isn't a perfect way to do it, but it gives an aproximate idea.

Icantthinkofanickname, I saw them, yes. I haven't said a thing till now because i don't think there is anything to say, they are like any other decent comment in my opinion. I just try to stick to the headlines given, nothing else.

About what dbAudio says:
The comments are rather short to be worthy of being highlighted. If that kind of thing would be done, it should be in the form of a proper review, but we have Tronyn already for that.
Honestly, even if i wanted to, i would need at least another year of mapping and some recent very good releases (being very optimistic), for my understanding of maps to be good enough so my reviews would be worthy of being read, and not just one more guy saying something. So i have to decline.

#48 2014-06-11 11:21:14

Icantthinkofanickname

I love the "random map" feature on the front page and the main map page, but it would be nice to have the same clickable option on individual map pages.

Often I get directed to a random map that I have played already or do not particularly feel like playing for whatever reason, and it would be very convenient to be able just to click "random map" again, until I find something I would like to play (otherwise one needs to go back to the main map page or the front page).

Perhaps it would make sense to have a "Random map" option at the top of each page, alongside (what is currently) "Frontpage", "News", "Maps", "Wiki", "Forum" and "Help".

Also:

Cocerello wrote:

''easy'', ''hard'', ''impossible'' ... are evaluative and subjective like the other unaceptable ones

I agree (even though I once added a "hard" tag myself -- I would not do so now).

sock wrote:

Why is there no login function on the front page?
Why do you have to go to the map page to login?

Agreed: it would be nice to have a login option on the front page.

#49 2014-07-03 12:48:27

Cocerello

A suggestion Fifthelephant made some weeks ago at Func, that i think it is very interesting, even though it requires lots of time. Copy-pasted:

It's kind of a shame we don't have a system for searching wads like we do for maps on quaddicted. If we could type in "rock" or "tech" or "crate" then it would be awesome.

Or how about some kind of "wad builder" where you basically shop for textures and then download your custom wad. (it could also write a .txt file which you could copy/paste into your readme)

If only I knew how to code!

Last edited by Cocerello (2014-07-03 13:05:29)

#50 2014-11-08 15:29:45

Spirit
Administrator

New features are more fun than fixing things. I have some free time now. Any fancy (website) things you guys want?

I am already working on a http://dc-js.github.io/dc.js/ interface to the maps which should be fun to play with: http://i.imgur.com/iAP8gqh.png

Board footer