#1 2023-04-08 09:54:42

Andrew

DP Epsilon Weapons for QSS (10.04.23)

Greetings!

"MDL" folder - models of weapons, grenade, rocket and spikes, converted from MD3 models to MDL of the "Dark Places" engine and adapted to the "QSS" engine. Added HD textures and a second version of spikes with a smaller hat.

"MD3" folder - models of weapons, grenade, rocket and spikes in MD3 format of the "Dark Places" engine and adapted to the "QSS" engine. Only HD textures and a second version of spikes with a smaller hat.

P.S.: It took a very long time to tinker with the conversion of the lightning gun model because of this, the geometry in motion suffered a little, but in the game it is not very visible, only on the bolts. The MD3 lightning gun model also had to be adjusted to the capabilities of the "QSS" engine to display lightning at the ends of the electrodes. For correct animation, an additional texture called "lighting" is needed. Please do not delete it.

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z27VWb … share_link

To be honest, all users can post their own versions of weapons here, and someone will like some of them. )))

ash1980

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-10 15:10:26)

#2 2023-04-08 21:25:14

chad2

Re: DP Epsilon Weapons for QSS (10.04.23)

Hey Andrew, thanks for the package, however as far as I can see the middle-right part of grenade launcher got damaged (left original MD3 model in QSS extracted from DPEpsilon, right converted MDL from this package):
Grenade-Launcher.png
I haven't compared other models.

#3 2023-04-09 19:13:17

Andrew

Looking at the screenshots, I see slightly modified planes of the grenade edging. The UV map on the model is superimposed correctly except for one square in the upper left corner, but if you pull it into place and resave the model, the distortion of the geometry will be even greater.

To be honest, no model is converted from MD2/MD3/MD5 format to MDL format without damage or geometry modification by any program. Compare the models of monsters in MD5 and MDL format, and you will see the difference (one looks like a stone when moving, and the other is distorted like a candle flame), the same happens with any objects. Even if you manually correct the distorted geometry of the model in Blender, then when you save it again in MDL format, everything will get even worse. I'm powerless here.

In the "5S" system, which Toyota adopted from the USSR and adapted for itself, there is a wonderful rule: criticizing, offer.

P.S.: I use a Blender or Noesis. Or I combine both programs. Try, learn. Everything is in your hands.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-09 19:25:00)

#4 2023-04-10 00:45:40

chad2

I have noticed that both untouched MD3 models and the converted weapon models accept 1600x1600 PNG (JPG for converted) textures. I will run Topaz Gigapixel AI on the textures and see where it goes. Here's a custom texture test (https://wallpaperaccess.com/dark-metal-texture):
spasm0000.png

#5 2023-04-10 01:15:10

chad2

BTW here's 4 weapons from Plague's Pak with textures by _KaszpiR_:
https://pixeldrain.com/u/tA4bmKW1
I upscaled the textures to 1024x1024 using Gogapixel AI and uploaded to https://pixeldrain.com/l/7SFpVM2D but I don't know how to bake them into MDL to test the result or how to covert MDL to MD5 preserving animation. MDL only accept 512x512 using QME. It would be nice if you could put 1024x1024 textures to these or convert models to something that will accept external textures.
Plagues-s-Pak.jpg

#6 2023-04-10 06:17:21

dwere

With such a simplistic design, is there even a point in cranking up the resolution? Besides, the processed skin doesn't even use its pixels effectively.

#7 2023-04-10 15:07:47

Andrew

I was a fool and forgot that the current version of the "QSS" engine opens MD3, including textures. I also added these models to the archive. A complete set of weapons. Try the models that you like.

#8 2023-04-10 18:16:57

Andrew

Quake Convert Rerelease MD5 Models to MDL for use in other Sourceports/Engines (Easy Tutorial):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2DhsroPvGc

It's even easier with MD3 models than with MD5. If the texture has a name that is specified inside the model and is in the same folder with it, then the model will immediately connect the texture and only need to convert the model to MDL format, as indicated in the video. If the texture is not connected after conversion and the model is just white, then a different texture name is written inside the model. To find out, you can use the program "Npherno's MD3 compiler". Click the "Import Objects" button, select the desired model and you will see what the textures attached to it are actually called. Now all you have to do is rename them correctly so that they attach to the model when converting it to MDL format.

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-11 17:52:23)

#9 2023-04-11 15:55:20

chad2

Hey Andrew, but updated models accept larger textures, so it's an improvement. Thanks for explaining regarding connecting texture. Previously I tried dragging texture file over model in Noesis and texture did get applied over model. However model will never export with new texture (I used File > Export Preview). I will try your guide to get it going.

#10 2023-04-11 17:44:30

Andrew

chad2 wrote:

Hey Andrew, but updated models accept larger textures, so it's an improvement. Thanks for explaining regarding connecting texture. Previously I tried dragging texture file over model in Noesis and texture did get applied over model. However model will never export with new texture (I used File > Export Preview). I will try your guide to get it going.

Sorry. As for MD3 models, I was wrong in the description of connecting textures to the model. See the description of connecting textures in the message above (#8).

Last edited by Andrew (2023-04-11 17:52:52)

Board footer