#1 2018-06-05 15:52:42

Rhoq

New DM: Court of Fools

Speedmap'd last Friday. Just got back into the Quake scene this year and wanted to crank out a deathmatch map. So I managed to put one together with some interesting shapes and layout. Put in about 8hrs. Only used a few textures, so I tried to creat variety with lighting and such.

Tested with Quakespasm and reaper bots. Will test with a human opponent tomorrow, but wanted to put this up in case anyone else wanted to try it out or provide feedback. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Screenshots:
rhoqtdm1_a.png
rhoqtdm1_c.png
rhoqtdm1_e.png

Download ZIP: LINK

#2 2018-06-05 15:53:37

Rhoq

Re: New DM: Court of Fools

Updated the map yesterday, rebuilt a couple areas for better navigability, added an another teleporter and another hallway connection between the two main interior spaces. Moved all the DM spawnpoints into lit "closets" in the walls. Tweaked the lighting.
Added ammo and one more weapon.

Reaper Bots are having a way easier time getting around the level, and the flow is much improved. It still basically looks like a speedmap, but I think I'll call this a successful experiment now. I learned quite a bit cranking this one out.

If anybody plays it, let me know what you think.

SCREENSHOTS:
rhoqtdm1b_a.png
rhoqtdm1b_b.png

DOWNLOAD: LINK

#3 2018-06-06 18:05:47

JMP

I really like both the layout and the map's old-school vibe. The textures are also nice and go beyond the usual Quake palette.

The only thing I didn't like was the shape of the rocks and the teleports. IMO they look like giant gemstones that were plopped down in the middle of a Quake arena, and they felt incongruous with the rest of the architecture.

#4 2018-06-06 19:12:24

Rhoq

JMP wrote:

I really like both the layout and the map's old-school vibe. The textures are also nice and go beyond the usual Quake palette.

The only thing I didn't like was the shape of the rocks and the teleports. IMO they look like giant gemstones that were plopped down in the middle of a Quake arena, and they felt incongruous with the rest of the architecture.

Thanks for playing! I'm glad the layout is working. I see what you mean about the gemstone shapes being incongruous. They're a little underdeveloped and kinda look like a shortcut shape in context. I was kind of thinking along the lines of gemstones, but didn't revise the look when I was cleaning up the rest of the architecture.

Greatly appreciate the feedback :)

#5 2018-06-09 05:50:18

Rhoq

I have finished my spacious Deathmatch map!
An open design influenced by the longer sight-lines of QuakeLive/Q3A maps,
with a dose of cover and corridors for classic Quake fire-fights.

DOWNLOAD: LINK

SCREENSHOTS:
rhoqtdm1_final_b.png

rhoqtdm1_final_c.png

rhoqtdm1_final_d.png

GAME PLAY INFORMATION:
Single Player     : N/A
Team Deathmatch   : 2v2, 4v4
Free For All      : 4-12 Players
.map   Included   : Yes
Waypoints        : Yes, FrikBot compatible

1 SP spawnpoint (for looking around)
12 DM spawnpoints

Not recommended for Duels (but if you want to, you'll be stacked with good gear by the time you find your opponent)!

Thanks to dumptruck_ds for looking into FrikBots with me, and to those on the forums/discord who provided encouragement, testing and feedback!

This is my first publicly released, finished Quake map ever. Hope you enjoy. Comments welcome :)

Board footer