#1 2023-09-17 01:04:11

ARtemi

Quake and Quake II under Windows 11

Hello focum members,

Maybe it was already asked before and if so, I am sorry for taking your time with this, but I have upgraded to Windows 11 and both Quake and Quake II stopped working (Quake 1, in particular, shows "wad could not be loaded" error, among others). I tried several engines to no avail. Is there a workaround to this? How can I run Quake and Quake II without having to reinstall both?

Thanks

#2 2023-09-17 02:05:00

chad2

Re: Quake and Quake II under Windows 11

Hey ARtemi, consider downgrading back to Windows 7 SP1, that will make it work 100% any engine. Windows 11 isn't ready for adoption yet. Last thing you can try is compatibility mode (set it via EXE's properties) with vkQuake — https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases

#3 2023-09-17 15:19:58

ARtemi

chad2 wrote:

Hey ARtemi, consider downgrading back to Windows 7 SP1, that will make it work 100% any engine. Windows 11 isn't ready for adoption yet. Last thing you can try is compatibility mode (set it via EXE's properties) with vkQuake — https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake/releases

Thanks for respoinding. It's a pity there is currently no Windows 11-ready solution. I had to buy a new machine, and it is impossible to downgrade to Windows 7 on this machine, as it has Windows 11 embedded from the plant. But thanks anyway. I will try the compatibility mode solution and then, if it does not work, wait for a new engine / solution that will support Windows 11. Hopefully it appears, eventually.

#4 2023-09-17 18:06:31

Spirit
Administrator

Don't all common modern engines run without issues on Windows 11? Quakespasm, FTEQW etc?

For Quake 2 try Yamagi.

Windows 7 does not receive updates and will make your system into a malware host. Don't use old windows.

#5 2023-09-18 03:33:00

Spoike

vs windows 11 that comes with malware preinstalled and leaves you in violation of the gdpr as soon as you save an email address to 'your' drive? (unless you paid about $1000 for the enterprise version, which also happens to be unavailable unless you're buying about 1000+ licenses at a time).
but yes, there's a number of issues faced by games running on win11 that were not an issue in win7, though they usually don't stop you from getting in-game.

'wad could not be loaded'. the only wad quake actually uses is gfx.wad found inside id1/pak0.pak - if you're running quake without that pak file relative to your working directory then the fault is on your(or the docs) part. you can't just run it and expect it to magically know where you installed the game data.

#6 2023-09-26 14:47:12

ARtemi

Spoike wrote:

vs windows 11 that comes with malware preinstalled and leaves you in violation of the gdpr as soon as you save an email address to 'your' drive? (unless you paid about $1000 for the enterprise version, which also happens to be unavailable unless you're buying about 1000+ licenses at a time).
but yes, there's a number of issues faced by games running on win11 that were not an issue in win7, though they usually don't stop you from getting in-game.

'wad could not be loaded'. the only wad quake actually uses is gfx.wad found inside id1/pak0.pak - if you're running quake without that pak file relative to your working directory then the fault is on your(or the docs) part. you can't just run it and expect it to magically know where you installed the game data.

I'll try to get more into that issue. Maybe it helps to solve the problem. Thanks.

#7 2023-09-26 19:17:58

dumptruck_ds

I've played Quake and mapped with TrenchBroom on Windows 11 with zero issues since day one. Not sure how Win 11 "isn't ready for adoption yet."

#8 2023-10-13 22:20:00

chad2

Hey there dumptruck_ds, huge fan of your YouTube channel! Microsoft isn't done patching W11, Chinese insiders @ Baidu say the final release will be simply called Windows 12 (so it won't be free this time). Not sure if it's true but a good benchmark is the absence of a LTSC/IoT edition of W11 in 2 years. In comparison, W10 got LTSB with it's initial release from beta in 2015 (or maybe like 3 month later at most). This makes me think any W11 version is beta at best before W11 LTSC/IoT is released.

#9 2023-10-22 14:29:41

Mopey bloke

Microsoft is still patching Windows 10, or was till recently with new features. I am on Windows 11, and some things really don't work as well as Windows 10, but it's about as good as the previous Windows version. Also I think Windows 12 will also have even more data collection than before, so I'm sure it will be free since you're transitioning from being the customer to being the product.

Board footer